Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

2001: Windows Tablet PC

Tablet Windows iPad

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

jjf3

jjf3

Not a Member of the Tea Party! Just a Concerned Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,046 posts
  • LocationHolmdel NJ/Tampa Fl
People are rushing to build tablets. but many forget that Microsoft already came out with a tablet in the early 2000s. So is the iPad and the current tablet trend better than those? Why did those Microsoft Tablets fails exactly? Why are people embracing them now instead of back then? Does Apple's cult following have anything to do with it?
"Did you really expect some utopian fantasy to rise from the ashes?" Thomas Zarek-- Battlestar Galactica.

GNR Rvolution

GNR Rvolution

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts
  • LocationLondon
Most first and second generation attempts at new technology fail, but it is those later technologies that build on them. The tablets back in the early 00's were far clunkier and heavier, with poor battery life and there was no touchscreen interface, it was all done with a stylus (from what I remember). And also bear in mind that Wi-Fi was in it's infancy back then (I can' actually remember anyone having it) so there was no internet connectivity. To be fair, people weren't expecting what they would today, but even so there were plenty of other mobile devices out there that were designed to do the job better, albeit using bespoke OS and interfaces. But yes, part of what is making the iPad so successful at the moment is the fact that it is Apple. The iPad is nothing new from a technology point of view, but it is far slicker than the previous entrants into the arena, and is backed by the fact the Apple is the golden boy at the moment. With Steve Job retiring though and other competitors snapping at their heels I feel it may be tough going for Apple in the next few years.
All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer.

Dead Redshirt

Dead Redshirt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts
Interesting. I never even knew they came out with one. Being that it was released in the early 2000's though, I'm guessing it's quite primitive compared to what we have now. There's also the factor that MS likely failed to properly market it, the same way they've failed to really market their other mobile devices properly, like I've mentioned in that other thread. And it also likely was ahead of time, to the point that people weren't sure what to make of it, and it likely was very expensive. I'd guess that the success of the iPad is having people seek it out, even if just for curiosity.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. - Jack Layton - 1950 - 2011

Caiman

Caiman

Administratus Extremus

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • LocationManchester, England
Very much a factor of capability, indeed. The great thing about the iPad is that it ‘just works’. It took the convergence of multiple technologies over the last decade to make the tablet concept something which would actually offer a decent alternative to laptops. As GNR has pointed out, Apple have, at the right time, built on the technologies others have already tried to bring to market, like they did with other devices such as their iPod and iPhone.
~Jon

jjf3

jjf3

Not a Member of the Tea Party! Just a Concerned Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,046 posts
  • LocationHolmdel NJ/Tampa Fl
Ah thank you for the replies. It didn't occur to me about the wireless technologies. I thought it might have had something to do with the thickness, weight and battery power. Stylus might have been a factor that turn people off, but now it seems that for people who transition from PDAs to Smartphones they long for their stylus to work with the phone, maybe its more accurate than the touch technologies, as you could calibrate it to pin point accuracy. My friend posted a link bashing the iPad yesterday. I am no Apple fanatic but I do understand what drives people to the company and why the iPad is probably the best tablet on the market right now. However, I've been hearing whispers that while Android tablets are just starting to catch up to iPad and iPad 2 the iPad might be at the end of its road? Do you think that the iPad 3 could be so much different from iPad 2? Could iPad 3 be the death of the iPad? What more can Apple do right now with the tablet?
"Did you really expect some utopian fantasy to rise from the ashes?" Thomas Zarek-- Battlestar Galactica.

OrbitalResonance

OrbitalResonance

Cosmic Emperor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts
  • LocationDeep Space
I am waiting for Windows 8 tablets... windows 8 convertible tablets. [love the transformer design, want that but with a real OS platform]

We make our world significant by the courage of our questions and the depth of our answers. - Carl Sagan

Dead Redshirt

Dead Redshirt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts
And let's not forget that there's the other kind of tablet. I think before any of these modern tablets came to be, there was the artists' tablet, or the sketching tablet which again use a stylus, but are aimed at being used for art. In other words, the Wacom tablet, which I look at being completely different technology, but it's what used the tablet designation before this whole new slew of tablets came on the market.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. - Jack Layton - 1950 - 2011

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Tablet, Windows, iPad

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users