Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

Home & Leisure News and Discussions

leisure internet of things home automation smartphones wearable technology video games domestic robotics electronics relaxation home

• Please log in to reply
316 replies to this topic

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,961 posts
  • LocationLondon

If people are wondering what this topic is for -- basically anything related to clothing, fashion, cosmetics, home appliances, smartphones, wearable tech, DIY, sports, entertainment, hobbies, etc.

It's pretty general and a fairly nebulous area, I know, but hopefully it covers anything we've missed from the other threads.

It's also the last remaining section from our blog that wasn't featured on this forum until now.

• Yuli Ban, Frizz, TheAsianGuy_LOL and 4 others like this

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,961 posts
  • LocationLondon

Marty McFly's "power laces" coming in 2015 Fans of Back to the Future II will be pleased to know that Marty McFly's iconic "power laces" will be arriving in 2015 –

the same year in which the classic 1980s time travelling movie is set.

http://www.futuretim...014/02/16-2.htm

EVanimations

EVanimations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,446 posts
  • LocationThe Eldritch Beyond

That's pretty cool, but where's my hoverboard already? /s

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,133 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

^^ It may be a good idea to merge the Augmented/Virtual Reality thread with this one since they'd serve roughly the same purpose, but with this one being more general.

I realized that the hover boards could be possible, if a solid entrepreneur can combine superconductors, aerogel, pexiglass, and boards with magnets and open a hover board rink. It shouldn't be that difficult, or even expensive. You can buy liquid nitrogen and a superconductor for about 50 bucks and aerogel for about that much Maybe scaling it up would sadden the wallet, but it's nothing impossible.

Nobody's gonna take my drone, I'm gonna fly miles far too high!
Nobody gonna beat my drone, it's gonna shoot into the sky!

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,133 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

PS- I'm not kidding!

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,133 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

Japanese "smart clothing" uses nanofibres to monitor your heart rate

Japanese mobile carrier NTT Docomo and materials developer Toray have been working on joint projects for a while and now they're publicly announcing one. Welcome Hitoe (Japanese for "one layer"), cloth that contains Toray's nanofibers that are coated in a transmittable layer. It's not the orange cloth (that's just standard material), but the nicotine-patch sized square you attach to it that does the sensing.

Place two of these on you and they'll act as electrodes, measuring your heartbeat and even offering metrics resembling a cardiogram. The plan is to connect this cleanly non-invasive health monitor to NTT Docomo's health app platform that's already on its smartphones, developing practical... soft... hardware for sale alongside it. The pitch didn't just include sports clothing, however, with pajamas and other sleepwear planned for launch. Look! There's even a little hat! The sensors will apparently survive tumbles in the washing machine and, having seen an earlier prototype late last year, we can confirm that the patches are suitably lightweight and flexible -- now the work is down to reducing that lumpy hub sensor that we also spotted. Wearable gadgets might finally be going subtle. There's a quick video from our allies at Engadget Japanese after the break.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,133 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

Atari Nerds Everywhere Just 'Gasmed

Posted Image

You might think you need a watch that can check email, control your music, and even stay on top of Twitter updates, but you've been misled. ThinkGeek's new Classic Arcade Wristwatch is all you really need strapped to your wrist, especially if you're old enough to remember a time when beating a video game required a pocket full of quarters.

Posted Image

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,961 posts
  • LocationLondon

Xeros Washing Machine Uses Nylon Polymer Beads Instead of Water to Clean Clothes

Article | February 24, 2014 - 7:18am

The Xeros washing machine looks like your standard washer, but those “suds” peeking out of the door are anything but soapy. Xeros, a company based in Rotherham in the UK, is looking to revolutionize domestic and industrial laundry alike with “bead cleaning.” The technology, the company claims, is not only superior to traditional soap and water but also environmentally friendly. Already with customers in Europe and the US, Xeros may be poised to make a big splash in the world of laundry with its washload full of lentil-sized polymer beads.

http://www.zeitnews....tead-water-clea

Posted Image

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • 12,190 posts

Posted Image

You might think you need a watch that can check email, control your music, and even stay on top of Twitter updates, but you've been misled. ThinkGeek's new Classic Arcade Wristwatch is all you really need strapped to your wrist, especially if you're old enough to remember a time when beating a video game required a pocket full of quarters.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Cool. i wish this space was updated more often.

Zeitgeist123

Zeitgeist123

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,801 posts

Kickstarter project: Barbie resembling actual humans using 3D printing.

http://www.upworthy....toes?g=2&c=ufb1

“Philosophy is a pretty toy if one indulges in it with moderation at the right time of life. But if one pursues it further than one should, it is absolute ruin." - Callicles to Socrates

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,961 posts
  • LocationLondon

Orgasm machine to deliver climax at the push of a button

Scientists have devised a machine that can help women achieve 'emphatic' orgasms at the push of a button. Slightly smaller than a packet of cigarettes, the device uses electrodes attached to the patients spine, with orgasms being triggered by a remote control.

http://www.independe...on-9176969.html

• eacao likes this

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • 6,508 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Scientists have devised a machine that can help women achieve 'emphatic' orgasms at the push of a button. Slightly smaller than a packet of cigarettes, the device uses electrodes attached to the patients spine, with orgasms being triggered by a remote control.

Closest thing to Soma? Guys, Brave New World is happening.

What are you without the sum of your parts?

raxo2222

raxo2222

e^x

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • LocationCanada, AD 2100, December 31st.

Sounds like good hack to nuke dictators... from inside. Or make another dystopia trolls.

Any useful appliances of this in light side?

Any technology sufficiently advanced is indistinguishable from magic.* - A. Clarke
Any magic sufficiently analyzed is indistinguishable from technology.** - Somewhere from Internet

*Relatively, comparing to rest of world. Go back in time with modern tech. **Lets assume its working only in fantasy/simulated world. Go forward in time with unicorns.

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • 6,508 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

What if they use it as a torture device?

What happens if your torturer holds his finger on the button for hours and hours...?

And the same time, another torturer pulls nails from your extremities.

What are you without the sum of your parts?

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,133 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

^ It would be a bloody exciting time.

OrbitalResonance

OrbitalResonance

Cosmic Emperor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts
  • LocationDeep Space

^ It would be a bloody exciting time.

Minus the nail pulling.

We make our world significant by the courage of our questions and the depth of our answers. - Carl Sagan

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,133 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

Without the nail pulling, it wouldn't be bloody.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,133 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda
http://mashable.com/.../tobii-glasses/ The Glasses Track Exactly Where You're Looking

Your devices already track your location and communication — why not what you're looking at, too? That's the promise of the Tobii Glasses 2, a pair of high-tech glasses that can track your eyes. Why would you ever want to do such a thing? You probably wouldn't, but researchers of visual systems are clamoring for that kind of information — what, for instance, a person spends the most time looking at when they're watching TV while holding a tablet. The glasses are designed primarily for those kinds of scenarios: research projects, testing rooms and simulators — where the thing being looked at isn't just a computer or tablet screen, which would be better served by non-wearable eye tracking like Tobii's EyeX. If you want to study what part of a person's face people look at in various social situations, for example, the Tobii Glasses 2 can tell you. "What you're actually watching is the overlay of the gaze on the video," explains Barbara Barclay, general manager of Tobii North America. "The glasses themselves have no obstruction on the peripheral, so [they] can eye-track a wide area." Although Tobii has had an eye-tracking pair of smart glasses for a while, the Tobii Glasses 2 has some nice upgrades. Each eye is now tracked by two cameras, which means even if the wearer adjust the glasses a little, they'll have a better chance of tracking your gaze. At 1.6 ounces, they're also extremely light. The best part of the upgrade is real-time tracking. A researcher can watch what a person's looking at — with the gaze point continuously market onscreen — on a tablet or laptop as they're looking at it, the footage transmitted wirelessly from the glasses. The device also saves the footage to an SD card. And what about when it comes time to analyze all this valuable eye-tracking data? Tobii can help there, too, but to get serious analysis software, you're going to have to pay extra. The basic Live View version of the Tobii Glasses 2 costs $14,900, but the Premium Analytics package is $29,900. That's well north of even the notoriously expensive Google Glass, but if you're in the market for wearable eye tracking, there aren't that many games in town (although Berlin-based SMI offers an alternative). Tobii also offers the Premium Analytics package as a subscription for $800 a month.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,133 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda
Gizmodo's Home of the Future

There's been plenty of talk about how technology will change the way our homes look and function in the future. But tech and design blog Gizmodo has taken it one step further, assembling some of the tech world's most recent innovations into a "Home of the Future" exhibit near its SoHo office. The pop-up installation includes a living room, bedroom, kitchen, and office, all packed with the latest devices, appliances, and furnishings that Gizmodo editors say will play a role in homes in the future. This "home" has a little bit of everything, from an automatic Oracle espresso machine in the kitchen to a Roomba 870 vacuuming the living room. A Sonos system streams music throughout the house while guests check out a large selection of wearable tech from Garmin and Fitbit. There are even two drones and a telepresence robot patrolling the scene. According to Gizmodo editor-in-chief Geoff Manaugh, at-home agriculture is one major trend we should expect to see more of in the future. "Growing fruits and vegetables at home is a great way to keep food production local and literally within the family, and the marketplace for new products and innovations in this field gets more interesting every year," Manaugh said to Business Insider. Gizmodo's selection includes a self-watering, self-replenishing tower that would make it easy for city-dwellers to grow fruits, vegetables, herbs, and spices in their kitchens. Windowfarms also makes garden wall units that are easy to install. "New gadgets and technologies for making at-home agriculture a reality are something we've been watching at Gizmodo with a lot of excitement and interest," Manaugh said.Energy is another major concern addressed by the exhibit. "We've been joking that the future looks great—but it requires an awful lot of electricity. That's not going to work for a lot of reasons, from climate change to simply being able to pay our own utility bills, " Manaugh said. "The discovery or invention of new sources of power will be central to any high-tech vision of tomorrow." One way to cut down on excess energy is to make more efficient gadgets, meaning they're either manufactured more efficiently or designed to make better use of their batteries. Cardboard wine bottles in Gizmodo's kitchen, for example, require less energy to produce than do more traditional glass bottles. There's also potential for inventing completely new energy sources, in addition to solar and wind power. "One of my favorite things here in the Home is actually an art project made by researchers at the University of Pennsylvania that uses electricity generated from microbes in soil to make a small screen light up," Manaugh said. "The idea is that, someday, maybe micro-organisms in the ground itself could power our phones and tablets." You can check out the "Home of the Future" in Gizmodo's office through tomorrow night.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,133 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda
A nightmarish future of literally driverless cars? http://www.wired.com...riverless-cars/

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: leisure, internet of things, home automation, smartphones, wearable technology, video games, domestic robotics, electronics, relaxation, home

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users