Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

Home & Leisure News and Discussions

leisure internet of things home automation smartphones wearable technology video games domestic robotics electronics relaxation home

• Please log in to reply
316 replies to this topic

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,742 posts

Google Home adds hands-free calling, more entertainment and visual responses
Emily Ferron Emily Ferron May 17, 2017

Google announced that hands-free calling is coming to Google Home, along with more entertainment options and the ability to send "visual responses" to connected devices.

In the coming months, Google Home owners will be able to use the Google Assistant to call anyone in the US or Canada at no additional charge. You can call from a private number, or connect it to your currently existing mobile number. Like the rest of Google Home, the calling feature supports multiple users, so you can say "Call Mom" without identifying who exactly your mom is.

http://newatlas.com/...-calling/49574/

Well, this is more like it.

To follow my work on tropical cyclones

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • 6,742 posts

World's thinnest hologram could lead to thin-film 3D displays
Michael Irving Michael Irving May 18, 2017

http://newatlas.com/...hologram/49591/

True holograms – 3D images captured like photographs – are still a long way from replicating the flashy stage tricks that masquerade under the title. Although most holograms are still pretty tiny, a team from Australia's RMIT and the Beijing Institute of Technology (BIT) have created the world's thinnest holographic display, encoding a 3D image onto a material just 25 nanometers thick.

Holograms are created with lasers, by modifying a material so that different sections reflect light back in different phases, giving the viewer the illusion of depth. Normally, that requires the medium to be a certain thickness, usually on the scale of millimeters at least. But the researchers have managed to create a hologram on a surface 100 times thinner, using a material called a topological thin film insulator and a carefully-controlled laser.

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • 6,742 posts

Bacteria-ridden "biofabric" makes for self-cooling gymwear
Michael Irving Michael Irving May 21, 2017

Gym clothes are generally made to be breathable, but now a team at MIT has developed a material to make activewear truly active when it comes to keeping cool. The outfit is made out of a living "biofabric" full of microbial cells, which automatically open flaps in the shirt when they sense heat and sweat.

http://newatlas.com/...cool-mit/49623/

• Casey likes this

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,143 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

Amazon's Alexa Calling is like a Jetsons version of the home phone

For what was originally supposed to be a mail-order bookstore, Amazon (AMZN) sure is doing a lot of trailblazing.
I mean, Amazon came up with the idea for the Echo—the cylinder that serves as a sort of Siri for the home—all by itself. It invented that product category, putting GoogleAppleMicrosoft, and Samsung into the awkward position of being copycat followers.
Now that more than 10 million people have Echo devices, Amazon has just taken another trailblazing step: With a free software update, it has turned them into hands-free speakerphones. Calling Chris is as easy as saying “Alexa, call Chris” from across the room, even if your hands are goopy with flour or you can’t find your phone.
Over at Chris’s house, the ring atop the Echo pulses green, a pleasant chime sounds, and Alexa announces, “David [or whatever your name is] would like to talk.”
Chris says “Alexa, answer,” and the conversation begins.
At the end of the call, either one of you can say “Alexa, hang up” to end the chat.

• Sciencerocks and Casey like this
Nobody's gonna take my drone, I'm gonna fly miles far too high!
Nobody gonna beat my drone, it's gonna shoot into the sky!

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • 6,742 posts

Standalone translator comes closer to the marketplace
Ben Coxworth Ben Coxworth May 31, 2017

It was last year that we first heard about ili, a handheld electronic translator that does not require an internet connection in order to work. At the time, some people may have wondered if the device would ever make its way to production, or simply remain an interesting prototype. Now, however, its makers have taken a step forward by announcing pricing and availability.

http://newatlas.com/...anslator/49812/

• Casey likes this

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • 6,742 posts

Logitech's wide-angle conference cam for mini-meeting rooms
Michael Irving Michael Irving June 7, 2017

Video conference calls have become a regular occurrence in offices, but squeezing everybody into frame can be a challenge. To help make sure everyone in a tight meeting room can be both seen and heard, Logitech has announced the MeetUp, a 4K conference camera with a wide-angle lens and microphones tuned for small-space acoustics.

There's no shortage of conference cameras out there, from small portable systems to those built into collaborative digital whiteboards. But not many are designed to take the size of the room into account, and Logitech believes it's filling a niche with a focus on smaller "huddle spaces."

http://newatlas.com/...e-camera/49928/

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • 6,742 posts

World's biggest 4K widescreen TV probably costs more than your house
Darren Quick Darren Quick June 12, 2017

C Seed isn't a household name in the world of electronics, which isn't a complete surprise given that not many households could afford the company's products. A perfect case in point is the new C Seed 262, which with a diagonal screen size of 262 in (6.65 m) is the world's largest 4K widescreen TV – and it's got a suitably large price to match.

http://newatlas.com/...d-led-tv/50006/

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • 6,742 posts

Graphene loudspeaker membranes coming March 2018 and devices to follow
brian wang | June 23, 2017 |

ORA sound uses the amazing properties of graphene in our proprietary nano-composite formulation to build unique, high performance loudspeaker membranes.

Prototypes already exist and reviewers indicate that they can hear the sound quality improvement.

GrapheneQ provides audiophile sound quality from smaller, more efficient loudspeakers.

Graphene provides significant benefits for loudspeaker performance:

* Instant improvements in sound quality
* Immediate extension of battery life, up to 70%
* More volume from small speakers
* Unrivaled high frequency response for improved localization cues

GrapheneQ reacts more accurately than other materials which allows it to truthfully recreate the original recording without additional artifacts.

https://www.nextbigf...-to-follow.html

• Casey and Yuli Ban like this

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • 6,742 posts

Flexible, self-healing wearable device harvests energy from body heat
Michael Irving Michael Irving June 26, 2017

Wearable electronic devices are starting to save some battery power by harvesting an energy source that's right underneath them: human body heat. But while flexible devices are more comfortable to wear, they aren't quite as effective at soaking up that heat as rigid ones. Now a team from North Carolina State University has developed a system using liquid metal components, making it flexible, efficient and even self-healing.

http://newatlas.com/...wearable/50204/

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • 6,742 posts

Computer in a cable gives hotel TVs some smarts
Paul Ridden Paul Ridden June 27, 2017

Thanks to set-top boxes, dongles and so-called smart televisions, big screen entertainment for today's frequent traveler can be served up over the internet, rather than via cable or satellite. Looking for a way to offer smart TV functionality without having to buy into a closed smart TV system, Sweden's InnSpire has developed a teeny Android-powered set-top box that's essentially crammed into an Ethernet cable, which means that hotels can turn standard room TVs into smart TVs just by plugging them into the wall socket.

http://newatlas.com/...et-cable/50230/

• Yuli Ban likes this

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,143 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

CNET reviews their original iPhone review, 10 years later

We dusted off CNET's original iPhone review and took notes. It's crazy and crazy fun to see what we got right, what we missed, and how much phones have changed since the first, groundbreaking iPhone.

It's more interesting than I originally expected. And it's also crazy to imagine a time when a phone having half the capabilities as a modern mid-tier smartphone was considered science fiction.

• Casey likes this

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • 6,742 posts

LG's flagship 77-inch "wallpaper" OLED TV lands in the US

It wasn't all that long ago that OLED TVs maxed out at 11 inches and cost around US$4,500. These days the screen sizes have grown considerably, but the prices are still up there. A case in point is LG's flagship 77-inch "Picture-on-Wall" OLED set that impressed at CES in January and is now available in the US.

http://newatlas.com/...ed-tv-us/50289/

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • 6,742 posts

Xiaomi brings laser projectors within reach of the masses
Rich Haridy Rich Haridy June 29, 2017

Xiaomi has announced an affordable, short-throw laser projector designed to display cinema-quality images. The Chinese company is initially only releasing the projector in its home market from early July, but priced at less than US$1,500 it could prove to be a game-changing product if it garners a wider release.

http://newatlas.com/...rojector/50286/

• Casey likes this

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • 6,742 posts

Snoozle alarm clock won't be silenced until you get out of bed
Nick Lavars Nick Lavars June 30, 2017

The hardest part of any morning (apart from maybe getting out of the warm shower) is extracting yourself from those cosy sheets and blankets. A snooze button within arm's reach certainly doesn't make things any easier, so the folks behind Snoozle aim to get slow risers up and at 'em with an alarm clock that won't be silenced until you carry it across the room.

http://newatlas.com/...rm-clock/50297/

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,143 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

Ora's New GrapheneQ Headphones Are The World's First Graphene Headphones

Graphene, one of the most buzzed-about carbon compounds in material science, has the potential to transform industries, not the least of which is the world of sound. There’s only one problem: It’s really expensive. But audio researcher Peter Gaskell thinks he’s cracked the graphene conundrum.
Ora, a Montreal-based startup Gaskell co-founded with Sergii Tutashkonko — who holds a Ph.D. in material science — wants to be the first to market with graphene-based headphones. Gaskell, who holds a Ph.D. himself in audio recording, stopped by Digital Trends’ New York office to demo his new creation ahead of the company’s crowdfunding campaign on Kickstarter. They’re tentatively dubbed the GrapheneQ Headphones, and spoiler alert, they sound pretty fantastic.

b8wIMVs.jpg

• Casey likes this

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,143 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

Electric paint, man...

• Maximus likes this

eacao

eacao

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Graphene, one of the most buzzed-about carbon compounds in material science, has the potential to transform industries, not the least of which is the world of sound. There’s only one problem: It’s really expensive. But audio researcher Peter Gaskell thinks he’s cracked the graphene conundrum.
Ora, a Montreal-based startup Gaskell co-founded with Sergii Tutashkonko — who holds a Ph.D. in material science — wants to be the first to market with graphene-based headphones. Gaskell, who holds a Ph.D. himself in audio recording, stopped by Digital Trends’ New York office to demo his new creation ahead of the company’s crowdfunding campaign on Kickstarter. They’re tentatively dubbed the GrapheneQ Headphones, and spoiler alert, they sound pretty fantastic.

b8wIMVs.jpg

Brings graphene to market for the world's first usable application

puts them in headphones

Only take advice from people who have what you want.
You don't decide your future. You decide your habits, and your habits decide your future.
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. - Abraham Lincoln.

eacao

eacao

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • LocationAustralia

b8wIMVs.jpg

Brings graphene to market for the world's first usable application

puts them in headphones

• Casey and Alislaws like this
Only take advice from people who have what you want.
You don't decide your future. You decide your habits, and your habits decide your future.
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. - Abraham Lincoln.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,143 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

Echo devices are Amazon Prime Day’s best sellers

Amazon’s decision to deeply discount its voice-powered Echo devices for Prime Day appears to be paying off for the online retailer. Though Prime Day is still underway this afternoon, Amazon has already sold more Echo devices than it did on Prime Day last year, it says.
Specifically, it has sold more than twice as many Echo devices here in the U.S., compared with Prime Day 2016, and more than three times as many worldwide. Insiders at the company, according to one source, say that Echo devices are selling at a rate of “thousands per minute” at the moment. Echo Dot appears likely to sell out first, the source added, although there has been unexpectedly high interest in all of the Alexa-powered products.

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • 6,742 posts

Researchers develop dynamic templates critical to printable electronics technology
July 13, 2017

When it comes to efficiency, sometimes it helps to look to Mother Nature for advice - even in technology as advanced as printable, flexible electronics.

Read more at: https://phys.org/new...ronics.html#jCp

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: leisure, internet of things, home automation, smartphones, wearable technology, video games, domestic robotics, electronics, relaxation, home

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users