Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

Home & Leisure News and Discussions

leisure internet of things home automation smartphones wearable technology video games domestic robotics electronics relaxation home

• Please log in to reply
316 replies to this topic

Jakob

Jakob

Fenny-Eyed Slubber-Yuck

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,244 posts
  • LocationIn the Basket of Deplorables
The First Fully Automated Toothbrush is Here. And it Cleans Your Teeth in 10 Seconds.

In Brief The world's first automated toothbrush is here, and it can brush your teeth perfectly in 10 seconds. This is just one more example of the ways that automation can relieve us of everyday, mundane tasks so we can do what we really want to do instead.

I want this. How much will they cost?

• Sciencerocks, Casey and Yuli Ban like this

Click 'show' to see quotes from great luminaries.

Spoiler

Casey

Casey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Legit one of the top tech stories of 2017. I want that too. Brushing my teeth for 2-3 minutes at a time gets tedious.

• Jakob likes this

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,155 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

Google Pixel 2 leak shows slimmer bezels, huge camera lens, squeezable sides

Assuming Google is working on a yearly cadence, we're about three months out from a release of the second Google Pixel. That means we're getting into proper leak territory, and, as usual, Android Police is giving us our first look at Google's latest flagship.
Today, the site posted a render that it says is "an accurate representation" of the new Pixel design. Android Police did exactly the same thing last year with the original Google Pixel, producing a very accurate render of the device three months before the official launch.
The new render represents a second-generation Pixel XL, previously outed as an LG-built device with the codename "Taimen." Both Android Police's report and previous rumors expect the largest "Taimen" device to be a departure from last year's design, with the smaller Pixel 2 (codenamed "Walleye") to have a more conservative layout.

Nobody's gonna take my drone, I'm gonna fly miles far too high!
Nobody gonna beat my drone, it's gonna shoot into the sky!

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,155 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

The smartphone is eventually going to die, and Apple, Google, Microsoft, and Facebook are racing to kill it

These are the quiet times.
From April to June, tech's biggest companies all held their annual mega-events, laying out their grand visions for the next 12 months or so. 
Facebook kicked it off in late April with its F8 conference, followed by Microsoft Build, then the Google I/O conference, and Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference finished things off. Amazon doesn't really hold events, but it unveiled two new Amazon Echo smart speakers during that period for good measure.
And things will get exciting again, sooner than you know it. This Fall, Apple is expected to reveal a 10th-anniversary iPhone, Google will likely reveal a revamped Pixel smartphone, and Microsoft is expected to hold another one of its regular late-October Surface computer press conferences.
In the meantime, there's not much to do but reflect on what we've learned so far this year about the future of tech. And beyond the hype and the hyperbole, we're starting to see the very earliest stages of a battle for the next phase of computing.

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • 6,760 posts

Supertiny cameras could shrink from pill size to dust size
brian wang | July 17, 2017 |

The pill-sized cameras in today’s mobile phones may seem miraculously tiny, given that a decade ago the smallest cameras available for retail sale were the size of a pack of cards. Ali Hajimiri of the California Institute of Technology will make far smaller cameras. His team plan to replace them with truly minuscule devices that spurn every aspect of current photographic technology. Not only do Dr Hajimiri’s cameras have no moving parts, they also lack lenses and mirrors—in other words, they have no conventional optics. That does away with the focal depth required by today’s cameras, enabling the new devices to be flat.

https://www.nextbigf...-dust-size.html

• eacao likes this

To follow my work on tropical cyclones

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,155 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

RED is making a $1200 smartphone with a 'holographic display'

High-end camera maker RED has just announced a premium smartphone called Hydrogen One, and the headlining feature is something the company is referring to as a “holographic display.” A buzzword-filled press release for Hydrogen One says that the 5.7-inch display somehow uses nanotechnology to “seamlessly [switch] between traditional 2D content, holographic multi-view content, 3D content, and interactive games.”
It all sounds like some sort of mix between the gimmicky visual trickery Amazon offered with the Fire Phone and the glasses-less 3D displays like the ones found on the Nintendo 3DS. But in a forum post written shortly after the announcement, RED founder Jim Jannard says “there is no good way to describe it until you see it.” He also writes that “our display is technology you haven’t seen before. It is not lenticular, which is inferior tech in every way, has been tried many times before and failed for good reason. (see Amazon 3D Fire, LG Optimus, etc).”

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,155 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

The future of the smartwatch should be smart watch bands

Despite the best efforts from Apple (with the Apple Watch), Google (with Android Wear), Samsung (with the Galaxy Gear), Pebble (with the, uh, Pebble), and dozens of other companies, the dream of the smartwatch hasn’t really taken off. Turns out that turning a smartphone into a wrist device isn’t really that appealing. Even if you can somehow get the right balance of battery life, device size, and developer support, people just aren’t really interested in getting anything more than notifications and fitness tracking from the devices they wear on their wrists.
We’re already seeing a backlash in the industry against the traditional touchscreen smartwatch back toward what I like to call “hybrid smartwatches.” These are devices that resemble normal (and far more fashionable) analog watches that feature fitness-tracking mechanisms and compatible apps for your smartphone. Products like the Frédérique Constant Horological Smartwatches, the Mistfit Phase, or the Skagen Hagen Connectedserve as good examples of the category.
Instead of trying to shove tech components into the watchface, companies should shift their focus to a different area: the watch strap.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,155 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,155 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

Battery-free cellphone harvests power from ambient radio signals and light

A team of computer scientists and electrical engineers at the University of Washington has invented a cellphone that requires no batteries and harvests power from either ambient radio signals or light. The device is described in a paper published in the Proceedings of the Association for Computing Machinery on Interactive, Mobile, Wearable and Ubiquitous Technologies.

Whenever someone uses the word "harvest" to describe a capability of computer technology, my mind can only ever go to ultratechnology.

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • 6,760 posts

Swidget turns any home into a "smart home" using existing wiring
Mike Hanlon Mike Hanlon July 25, 2017

Launching on Kickstarter today, Swidget is a modular electrical outlet designed to turn any home into a smarthome using existing wiring, replacing a traditional electricity outlet with an outlet capable of using "snap in" inserts. These inserts offer smart home functionality, including Wi-Fi connectivity, security camera, carbon monoxide sensors, Bluetooth speaker, motion and temperature sensors, Amazon Echo extension, USB port, and so on, which connect to your existing network (Wi-Fi, Z-Wave, ZigBee, etc.) or function independently. And a developer kit means partners can create their own smart inserts.

http://newatlas.com/...platform/50590/

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,155 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

Pixels will have no headphone jack!

C O U R A G E ™

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,155 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

iPhone 8 may get 4K, 60fps video upgrade, HomePod leak hints

Showing off your last vacation videos may get a lot easier.
The possibility of video capture with 4K resolution at 60 frames per second for the upcoming iPhone was spotted in Apple's HomePod firmware leak by Brazilian site iHelp BR
The rear cameras on the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus can record 4K video but only at 30fps. Their front cameras max out at a resolution of 1080p too. The code also includes "front" and "back" identifiers for the 4K, 60fps video support and mentions a "2017iPhone." If these hold true, videos on the next iPhone for both the front and rear facing cameras will look ultrasharp and buttery smooth.
Countless leaks and speculation about the next iPhones have appeared in the last few months. Apple is rumored to be celebrating the 10-year anniversary of the original iPhone by releasing a super premium iPhone 8 (though no official name has been given, so it could be called the iPhone X or iPhone 10 or iPhone Whatever) alongside a iPhone 7S and 7S Plus
The biggest reveal, however, happened when Apple released the firmware for its upcoming HomePod, which is the gift that keeps on giving.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,155 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

The next Apple Watch will reportedly have LTE

Apple plans to release an Apple Watch with built-in LTE this year, according to Bloomberg. The integration should allow Apple Watch owners to leave their iPhone behind and still get near full functionality out of the watch. Until now, the watch had to be within range of an iPhone to do most tasks, like receive notifications or make calls.
There’s still a lot that’s unknown here. Apple could choose to sell models of the watch with and without LTE, like it does with the iPad, charging a premium for cellular service. This watch will likely require an extra data plan, too. And it’ll probably still need to be paired with an iPhone on some level, even if the phone isn’t always in the same vicinity. Battery life could be a major issue as well on a device that barely lasts a full day as it is.
One thing Bloomberg doesn’t mention is whether or not the Apple Watch will look the same for the third year in a row.

Ns1zOaW.jpg

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,155 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,155 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

• Casey likes this

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • 6,760 posts

Cubiio downsizes the laser engraver
Darren Quick Darren Quick August 20, 2017

Laser engravers are traditionally big, bulky units, meaning you have to cart the item you want engraved to the engraver – which can be a chore if the item is also big and bulky. But a new laser engraver from Taiwan-based startup Mulherz makes it easy to bring the engraver to the item. Small enough to fit in a handbag and controlled via a smartphone app, Cubiio literally puts a laser engraver in the palm of your hand.

http://newatlas.com/...engraver/50976/

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • 6,760 posts

Cinera headset puts a movie theater in your face
Rich Haridy Rich Haridy August 30, 2017

Cinera is one of those crowdfunding projects that seems absurd on first glance, but increasingly looks like a good idea the longer you think about it. Billed as an immersive personal theater headset, it's basically like sitting really close to a tiny HDTV while wearing headphones to give the effect of sitting in front of a cinema-sized screen.

http://newatlas.com/...-headset/51135/

• Casey likes this

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,155 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

Sharp is ready to sell 8K consumer TVs now that we all have 4K

While other electronics companies are just getting to consumer 4K screens, Sharp is once again focusing on the next resolution milestone. Today, Sharp announced its 8K AQUOS televisions will be coming to Japan and China in December, with releases in Taiwan and Europe planned for early 2018.
Sharp has been pushing near-8K screens (7,680 x 4,320) since 2015, though its first models later that year boasting true 8K had a consumer-unfriendly $130,000 price tag. But the issue wasn't accuracy -- it was lack of content recorded at such a high resolution to actually enjoy on the fancy screens. Watching 4K content isn't much different whether you're watching on a 4K or an 8K screen.

• Casey likes this

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • 6,514 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Sharp is ready to sell 8K consumer TVs now that we all have 4K

While other electronics companies are just getting to consumer 4K screens, Sharp is once again focusing on the next resolution milestone. Today, Sharp announced its 8K AQUOS televisions will be coming to Japan and China in December, with releases in Taiwan and Europe planned for early 2018.
Sharp has been pushing near-8K screens (7,680 x 4,320) since 2015, though its first models later that year boasting true 8K had a consumer-unfriendly $130,000 price tag. But the issue wasn't accuracy -- it was lack of content recorded at such a high resolution to actually enjoy on the fancy screens. Watching 4K content isn't much different whether you're watching on a 4K or an 8K screen.

I've had two 4k TVs for four years now... think I should upgrade to 8k?

Nah.... like this article said, there is no discernible difference in acuity between 4k and 8k so there is no point. I'll wait for at least 16k few years down the road.

What are you without the sum of your parts?

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,155 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

At $130,000? I mean, if I had the money (and I eventually will, goddammit), I still wouldn't buy it. Like you said, I'd prefer to wait until 16k. If that ever becomes a thing, I mean. We might be using light-field displays en masse before then.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: leisure, internet of things, home automation, smartphones, wearable technology, video games, domestic robotics, electronics, relaxation, home

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users