Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

Home & Leisure News and Discussions

leisure internet of things home automation smartphones wearable technology video games domestic robotics electronics relaxation home

• Please log in to reply
316 replies to this topic

bgates276

bgates276

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

At $130,000? I mean, if I had the money (and I eventually will, goddammit), I still wouldn't buy it. Like you said, I'd prefer to wait until 16k. If that ever becomes a thing, I mean. We might be using light-field displays en masse before then.

I believe the 130k price tag was for a prototype model that was displayed several years ago.

This video only came out less than half a day ago:

According to this representative from Sharp, a new 8k 70" TV will hit the commercial market for about 8000 Euros. That's about 12,000 Canadian, or slightly less than 10,000 US dollars. I actually think that is fairly reasonable, considering the size, resolution, and that it will be the first of it's kind to hit the market. When 4k TV's were introduced in stores, back in around 2012 or so, there were similar sized models from Sony going for more than twice that price. I think the good news, is that with competition and economies of scale, the prices will come down by quite a lot. 

The Japanese man also discusses how new 8k video cameras will be introduced at some point; all being part of the '8k ecosystem'.

I'll be in the market for a 4k tv at some point in the next couple of years, and hopefully they get a price reduction as well.

• Casey and Yuli Ban like this

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,143 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

Google is very close to buying HTC's smartphone business

Google may be close to buying the smartphone business of HTC, the troubled consumer-electronics maker based in Taiwan, according to a report.
According to a report in a Taiwanese publication (Google Translate version here), the two companies are in the final stages of acquisition talks. The report does not say how much Google may buy HTC for.

Nobody's gonna take my drone, I'm gonna fly miles far too high!
Nobody gonna beat my drone, it's gonna shoot into the sky!

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,742 posts

Samsung eyes foldable smartphone, voice-controlled speaker
September 12, 2017 by Youkyung Lee

Samsung Electronics Co. said Tuesday it aims to launch a foldable smartphone next year under its Galaxy Note brand.

Read more at: https://phys.org/new...rolled.html#jCp

To follow my work on tropical cyclones

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,143 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,143 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

IPhone X Hands-On

"Feels Like The Future Of The Smartphone"

The thing that a lot of people want to talk about with the iPhone X is its $999 starting price, but when you have the phone in your hand, it feels... worth it. The X is an extremely beautiful device, with a stainless steel band and glass back curving into a 5.8-inch OLED display that stretches all the way across the front of the phone. It’s a bigger display than the 5.5-inch Plus-size iPhones, but a much, much smaller body. Those bezels — turns out they’re huge. Happily, the X is also a little thicker and less slippery than the iPhone 7, which was basically suicidal in its ability to fly out of my hands. If anything, the X evokes the original iPhone more than anything, with that stainless steel band and black front. Compared to what Samsung is doing with curved OLED displays on Galaxy devices, it’s very different: there’s still a black border around the display. The phone feels small, but in a differnt way than, say, the S8.
Apple’s calling this a “Super Retina Display” with 1125 x 2436 pixels of resolution, making it the highest-density screen on any iPhone. It’s super sharp to look at and punchy and vibrant as you’d expect from an OLED screen. It has all of Apple’s signature tech, too, including 3D Touch and TrueTone automatic calibration. I’ve generally preferred LCDs to OLEDs, but the X OLED display doesn’t seem to share any of the extreme oversaturation or pixel matrix weirdness of other OLEDs I’ve seen.

The iPhone X led me down a rabbithole (I didn't want to praise this when it turns out that it's actually still behind loads of other smartphones), and I'm looking at various features of modern smartphones.

Doesn't it feel like The Future™ snuck up on everyone?
I mean seriously... Smartphones today feature such futuristic biometric capabilities like—

• Retina displays
  • Iris scanners
  • Fingerprint scanner
  • Facial recognition

And then there's stuff like

• Deep learning AI
  • Wireless charging
  • Wireless audio (still has a few bugs to iron out)
  • Bendable displays
  • Multicore processors
  • Voice control
  • Native augmented reality

Really feels like 2017, doesn't it?

• Casey likes this

bgates276

bgates276

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Iphone X 256 GB edition is really cool and all, but it is over $1500 Canadian. I could buy a really nice gaming PC with that kind of money. I'm going to wait and see if Apple releases a reasonably priced ipod touch 7 next year, as there are rumours that a new one is going to be released. For now, I can communicate through voip on my PC. The microphone cost like $60 and I spend like less than $2 a month on phone calls.

superexistence

superexistence

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Did anyone see this? The tech behind the holographic display coming up from the Red Hydrogen smart phone.

https://www.redshark...-works#facebook

• Casey likes this

eacao

eacao

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • LocationAustralia

IPhone X Hands-On

"Feels Like The Future Of The Smartphone"

The thing that a lot of people want to talk about with the iPhone X is its $999 starting price, but when you have the phone in your hand, it feels... worth it. The X is an extremely beautiful device, with a stainless steel band and glass back curving into a 5.8-inch OLED display that stretches all the way across the front of the phone. It’s a bigger display than the 5.5-inch Plus-size iPhones, but a much, much smaller body. Those bezels — turns out they’re huge. Happily, the X is also a little thicker and less slippery than the iPhone 7, which was basically suicidal in its ability to fly out of my hands. If anything, the X evokes the original iPhone more than anything, with that stainless steel band and black front. Compared to what Samsung is doing with curved OLED displays on Galaxy devices, it’s very different: there’s still a black border around the display. The phone feels small, but in a differnt way than, say, the S8.
Apple’s calling this a “Super Retina Display” with 1125 x 2436 pixels of resolution, making it the highest-density screen on any iPhone. It’s super sharp to look at and punchy and vibrant as you’d expect from an OLED screen. It has all of Apple’s signature tech, too, including 3D Touch and TrueTone automatic calibration. I’ve generally preferred LCDs to OLEDs, but the X OLED display doesn’t seem to share any of the extreme oversaturation or pixel matrix weirdness of other OLEDs I’ve seen.

The iPhone X led me down a rabbithole (I didn't want to praise this when it turns out that it's actually still behind loads of other smartphones), and I'm looking at various features of modern smartphones.

Doesn't it feel like The Future™ snuck up on everyone?
I mean seriously... Smartphones today feature such futuristic biometric capabilities like—

• Retina displays
  • Iris scanners
  • Fingerprint scanner
  • Facial recognition

And then there's stuff like

• Deep learning AI
  • Wireless charging
  • Wireless audio (still has a few bugs to iron out)
  • Bendable displays
  • Multicore processors
  • Voice control
  • Native augmented reality

Really feels like 2017, doesn't it?

I was recently on the phone to my ex while driving (using earphones tho) from the airport and got lost on the way. I sent her my live location on Facebook so she was able to track me and give me directions in real time from Singapore. That's pre futuristic. 

One thing that still makes me go Whoa is my ability to chat with someone wherever they are in the world from your palm. You'll watch GoT and see them struggling to use birds to transport their messages and just appreciate how capable you are today. 

And you know what else is pretty futuristic actually is your electric kettle. A coal fire station liberates energy dozens or hundreds of k's away and the energy shows up inside your kettle. I like that.

• Maximus likes this
Only take advice from people who have what you want.
You don't decide your future. You decide your habits, and your habits decide your future.
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. - Abraham Lincoln.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,143 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

iPhone 8 Is World's Fastest Phone (It's Not Even Close)

WSMpVsV.png

• Casey likes this

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,143 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

iPhone X is likely to be even faster than it. What I like about this is that it'll spur the competition to actually try to catch up.

This is what we've wanted out of the smartphone wars. You know why there was so much dissatisfaction? We'd get a new model every year that was only incrementally better than last year's. Oh, there are slightly more pixels and slightly faster response times. Like, a 2% increase in capability— with a 20% increase in price.

This one is twice as fast as the competition as of the moment. It's more like the difference between console tweaks vs mid-console updates (i.e. the difference between early and late PS2 consoles vs. the difference between the Xbox One and Xbox One X). If the yearly updates were more like this, there'd be a lot more satisfaction.

• Casey likes this

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • 6,742 posts

Transparent solar panel enables first solar-powered smartwatch
Smartwatches
Nick Lavars

Solar-powered watches are nothing new, but being more power-hungry beasts, solar-powered smartwatches are a different story. A San Francisco-based startup called LunaR now claims to have bridged the divide by developing a smartwatch that never needs to be plugged in for a recharge as it draws all the energy it needs from the sun.

http://newatlas.com/...artwatch/51543/

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • 6,742 posts

Optoma promises mind-blowing entertainment experience from latest 4K projector
Home Entertainment
Paul Ridden

Following hot on the heels of the budget-friendly UHD60 projector, Optoma has released what it's calling a game changer. The UHZ65 laser home theater projector is said to rock industry-leading light, color and resolution, as well as huge contrast, wide color gamut support and integrated speakers.

The Optoma UHZ65 projector is powered by TI's 4K DLP UHD chipset, and features a 3,000 lumen laser phosphor light engine, with a 20,000 hours lamp life, for a native 3,840 x 2,160 resolution (which can be bumped up to 4,096 x 2,160 at 60 Hz with the help of XPR video processing technology).

http://newatlas.com/...rojector/51639/

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,143 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

Google’s New Earbuds Can Translate 40 Languages Instantly in Your Ear

• Google released a line of new products on Wednesday.
  • When the Google Pixel Buds are paired with a new handset, the Google Pixel 2, the earbuds can tap into Google Assistant.
  • In addition to the translation of 40 languages, Google Assistant can also alert users to notifications, send texts and give directions.

• Sciencerocks, Casey, Alislaws and 1 other like this

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • 6,742 posts

Voice-controlled Aivia smart speaker rocks a built-in subwoofer
Home Entertainment
Paul Ridden

Canadian startup SproutBox Design says its Aivia speaker has similar smarts to Google's Home speaker and Amazon's Echo, but with improved sonic output. Like those devices, it can be controlled by voice, but it also has a tablet-like touchscreen, a video camera to the front, a wireless device charging surface up top and a 15-watt subwoofer out back.

http://newatlas.com/...-speaker/51673/

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • 6,742 posts

Samsung's new VR camera is built for the pros

There is no official word from Samsung on the cost yet, but we wouldn't expect the 360 Round to be priced for hobbyists

Samsung has made some astute moves in the VR space, launching the Gear 360 camera last year and designing its flagship handsets to work with its Gear VR headset. But the newly announced Samsung 360 Round is the company's first foray into the professional end of VR content creation, and is claimed to pack enough power to livestream 4K 3D video with little to no lag.

https://newatlas.com...r-camera/51815/

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • 6,742 posts

Sweam gives pocket smart projector its own touchscreen

Paul Ridden

Giving pint-sized smart projectors an Android heart isn't a new idea, but many designs require the use of input peripherals or IR pens to activate icons, install apps or start the movie. Swedish tech startup Sweam has included a touchscreen display on the top of its pocket projector, offering familiar smartphone-like control while allowing users to watch shows on the small screen for the commute back home from work and continue the viewing experience on a living room wall.

https://newatlas.com...rojector/52339/

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • 6,742 posts

GM's Marketplace allows drivers to make purchases without leaving the car
Automotive
Radhesh Krishnan

GM has announced the launch of Marketplace, the automotive industry's first in-car e-commerce platform. Marketplace allows customers with eligible GM-branded vehicles and compatible infotainment systems to pay for fuel, pre-order their morning coffee or reserve a table at their chosen restaurant, all from the comfort of their vehicle.

GM identified that the average American spends 46 minutes per day driving and looked into ways to make each trip "more productive and give our customers time back."

https://newatlas.com...ping-app/52501/

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: leisure, internet of things, home automation, smartphones, wearable technology, video games, domestic robotics, electronics, relaxation, home

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users