Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

Home & Leisure News and Discussions

leisure internet of things home automation smartphones wearable technology video games domestic robotics electronics relaxation home

• Please log in to reply
316 replies to this topic

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,963 posts
  • LocationLondon

tierbook

tierbook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationCharleston sc

Wow... it even looks like a 16$ burger.... kinda hard to believe gourmet and McDonalds in the same sentence but they may have done it. Didn't even realize till looking on Youtube that this is that robot we saw awhile ago that made it and not a person.

skiier4384

skiier4384

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Microsoft’s ‘RoomAlive’ transforms any room into a giant Xbox game

When Microsoft first demonstrated its IllumiRoom research project at CES last year it generated a huge amount of attention ahead of a next-generation Xbox unveiling. A video showed off a projection system that was linked to the Xbox to extend games from a TV to nearby walls, and appeared to be more than just a concept demo. It turned out that IllumiRoom was "just research" after all, but Microsoft is back this year with IllumiRoom 2.0: RoomAlive.

RoomAlive builds on the familiar concepts of IllumiRoom, but pushes things a lot further by extending an Xbox gaming environment to an entire living room. It’s a proof-of-concept demo, just like IllumiRoom, and it combines Kinect and projectors to create an augmented reality experience that is interactive inside a room. You can reach out and hit objects from a game, or interact with games through any surfaces of a room. RoomAlive tracks the position of a gamers head across all six Kinect sensors, to render content appropriately.

RoomAlive’s video projectors and Kinect combination is far too costly and large for living rooms right now, but Microsoft is imagining a future where this technology will be smaller and low-cost. Sony has created similar virtual reality experiments in the past, but Microsoft’s system can automatically detect the floors and walls of the room to let the system work anywhere. "There’s still lots to explore with RoomAlive as a gaming platform," explain’s a Microsoft Research spokesperson. "We envision a future where games can use physical objects as part of the game."

http://www.theverge....rojector-system

• eacao and PrimordialBeing like this

skiier4384

skiier4384

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

It's essentially Microsoft's very, very, very early version of Star Trek 's Holodeck. It's a combination of Kinect and special projectors and the goal is to bring your living room (or any room for that matter) to life. Microsoft is working with Samsung on the project and there are rumors that it will appear with the next-generation X-Box (expected in 2020) or (and I think this is a long shot) it'll all be included in the next version of Kinect for X-Box One.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,133 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

This device lets you charge your phone just by walking around or working out

Yesterday I noted a portable battery charger that needs only 5 minutes to get enough juice for a full iPhone 5 charge and today I found one that’s a polar opposite: It takes almost all day just to top off this battery, which only provides another 3 hours of run-time for a phone. There’s one more big difference, though. This device, dubbed the Ampy, doesn’t need to be plugged into a wall charger at all. Instead, it uses your own kinetic energy.

• La Bodysnatcher likes this
Nobody's gonna take my drone, I'm gonna fly miles far too high!
Nobody gonna beat my drone, it's gonna shoot into the sky!

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,133 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

Google building TV that changes shape and size

If you're sick of flat screen or curved TV screens, Google may be working on something you might be interested in.

The company is reportedly building a modular TV screen that can be rearranged into different shapes and sizes, according to The Wall Street Journal.

Google is said to be developing a display comprised of smaller screens that plug together like Legos to form a single image.

• Raklian and La Bodysnatcher like this

Jakob

Jakob

Fenny-Eyed Slubber-Yuck

• Members
  • 5,228 posts
  • LocationIn the Basket of Deplorables

At long last: scientists create a real hoverboard

Ever since Marty McFly hopped aboard his pink hoverboard in 1989's Back to the Future Part II, the world has been waiting for real scientists and engineers to catch up. Now, finally, it appears that you can get your hands on one - if you have $10,000.

Click 'show' to see quotes from great luminaries.

Spoiler

Jakob

Jakob

Fenny-Eyed Slubber-Yuck

• Members
  • 5,228 posts

Here's a link with even more gadgets: http://www.today.com...-can-1D80231239

Spoiler

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,963 posts
  • LocationLondon

Marijuana Industry Could Be Worth $35 Billion In 2020, If All States And Feds Legalize It

Posted: 10/23/2014

If all 50 states legalized marijuana and the federal government ended prohibition of the plant, the marijuana industry in the United States would be worth $35 billion just six years from now.

That's according to a new report from GreenWave Advisors, a research and advisory firm that serves the emerging marijuana industry in the U.S., which found that if all 50 states and the federal government legalized cannabis, combined sales for both medical and retail marijuana could balloon to $35 billion a year by 2020.

If the federal government doesn't end prohibition and the trajectory of state legalization continues on its current path, with more, but not all, states legalizing marijuana in some form, the industry in 2020 would still be worth $21 billion, GreenWave projects.

Read more: http://www.huffingto..._n_6036292.html

Kafeel

Kafeel

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Another extract 

Now that is what is likely to happen in the future as you will be able to control everything with your voice, although if you don't like the sound of that then you might want to see a pretty good alternative. 

There are apps like "Control4 My House" and "Chamberlian MyQ Home Control" which allows you to control different objects in your house once connected with the apps, therefore rather than having to speak all the time you could control the items in your house with an app. However you won't be able to control other items like your car or any other item which is not part of your house. This why voice control technology is useful because it can used almost anywhere.

#RiseOfTechnology

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,133 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

Researchers predict Facebook will die out "like a disease"

19dcxdu8gbo62png.png

By drawing similarities between Facebook's rapid adoption and the proliferation of an infectious disease, researchers at Princeton have devised a model that predicts Facebook will lose 80% of its users by 2017.

"Ideas, like diseases, have been shown to spread infectiously between people before eventually dying out, and have been successfully described with epidemiological models," write authors John Cannarella and Joshua A. Spechler in an article recently posted to the preprint database arXiv

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • 6,733 posts

Researchers predict Facebook will die out "like a disease"

19dcxdu8gbo62png.png

By drawing similarities between Facebook's rapid adoption and the proliferation of an infectious disease, researchers at Princeton have devised a model that predicts Facebook will lose 80% of its users by 2017.

"Ideas, like diseases, have been shown to spread infectiously between people before eventually dying out, and have been successfully described with epidemiological models," write authors John Cannarella and Joshua A. Spechler in an article recently posted to the preprint database arXiv

What would replace it? The niche will remain and I see no reason outside of something better than facebook that this would occur.

To follow my work on tropical cyclones

Jakob

Jakob

Fenny-Eyed Slubber-Yuck

• Members
  • 5,228 posts

Spiderman now has some serious competition. Researchers at Stanford University in California have created a glove-like device, inspired by the tiny gecko, that allowed a 154-pound (70-kilogram) man to scale a glass wall just like the super hero—not just once, but hundreds of times.

A lot of research dollars have been spent trying to unlock the secret of the gecko’s unique feet, which safely take the little creature up sheer surfaces and even upside down on ceilings. Now, with help from the U.S. Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA), the Stanford scientists have developed hand-sized silicone pads that keep their adhesive strength at all sizes, according to a report by BBC News.

from http://www.sciencere...crawl-on-walls/

Sweet!

Spoiler

Kafeel

Kafeel

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

http://riseoftechnol...he-21st-century

So guys I saw this cool new way to print off photos from your smartphones. =D

#RiseOfTechnology

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,133 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda
Sony Creates Simple, Yet Cool Smartwatch Entirely Out Of E-Paper
http://www.theverge....nimalist-beauty

Kafeel

Kafeel

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

http://riseoftechnol...just-got-easier

Hey guys check out this new smart microwave oven, I think cooking just got easier =D

#RiseOfTechnology

Jakob

Jakob

Fenny-Eyed Slubber-Yuck

• Members
  • 5,228 posts

Sony Creates Simple, Yet Cool Smartwatch Entirely Out Of E-Paper
http://www.theverge....nimalist-beauty

Was just about to post this. E-paper and smartwatches are cool. They don't look too smart though.

Spoiler

Kafeel

Kafeel

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

http://riseoftechnol...2/ufo-speakers/

Hey guys check out these cool speakers, they even levitate!!

#RiseOfTechnology

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,133 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

Well okay, but post maybe a paragraph to go along with it...

superexistence

superexistence

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

And an original link! How many times???

• Yuli Ban likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: leisure, internet of things, home automation, smartphones, wearable technology, video games, domestic robotics, electronics, relaxation, home

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users