Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

Home & Leisure News and Discussions

leisure internet of things home automation smartphones wearable technology video games domestic robotics electronics relaxation home

• Please log in to reply
316 replies to this topic

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,148 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

Sharp Aquos Crystal: A $240 smartphone that out-designs most flagships

Now here's something you don't see every day.

In an age when every smartphone seems to end up looking like the same old boring rectangle, the Japanese electronics company Sharp has produced one of the most intriguing-looking devices of the year. This is the Sharp Aquos Crystal, a device that is still a rectangle, but the top half of it looks like something straight out of the future. Sharp has taken the standard smartphone rectangle and pushed the display all the way up to the top, creating a device with basically no bezel on the top and sides.

At only $239 off-contract, the 5-inch, 720p device is definitely a mid-range product, with not a lot to get excited about internally. The Crystal is powered by a 1.2GHz Snapdragon 400—the same SoC we've seen stuffed into smartwatches—1.5GB of RAM, and 8GB of storage.

1-11-980x653.jpg

I dunno, man, all I'm seeing is a rectangle.

Nobody's gonna take my drone, I'm gonna fly miles far too high!
Nobody gonna beat my drone, it's gonna shoot into the sky!

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,750 posts

Continental's "infrared curtain" could add multi-touch functionality to cheap cars
By Ben Coxworth
December 19, 2014
2 Pictures

Among other things, infrared curtain technology could be used to mirror smartphone display...
Although touchscreen controls are appearing in the dashboards of an increasing number of vehicles, they're still not something that one generally associates with economy cars. That may be about to change, however, as Continental has announced an "infrared curtain" system that could allow for inexpensive multi-touch functionality in any automobile.

http://www.gizmag.co...-curtain/35309/

To follow my work on tropical cyclones

Jakob

Jakob

Fenny-Eyed Slubber-Yuck

• Members
  • 5,241 posts
  • LocationIn the Basket of Deplorables
CES 2015: Will this be the year of 4K TV?

IRVINE, Calif. — Is this the year 4K TV finally takes off with consumers?

Analysts thought it would happen in 2014, but it didn't happen, mostly due to the high prices of most the TVs. They're called 4K because they offer 4,000 pixel resolution, or about four times the resolution of 1080p high definition. You might see them marketed as "Ultra-HD."

This year analysts believe 4K will start to resonate, and we will see the results of this at the Consumer Electronics Show, which gets under way in Las Vegas this weekend.

There will be many more 4K models available, and they will be much cheaper, says Richard Doherty, an analyst with the Envisioneering Group.

Click 'show' to see quotes from great luminaries.

Spoiler

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • 6,750 posts

Oh Hell Yes: A Phone With Glasses-Free 3D and Joysticks Built In

The Obox W3D looks a little but like a PSP at first glance, but inside it's a completely different beast. Running Android 4.4, the W30 isn't just a gaming device, it's also an actual phone. It's best tricks have nothing to do with that though, and the leading one is a glasses free 3D screen.

With a front-facing, eye-tracking camera, the W3D is able to tell exactly how you're looking at it, and the effect is pretty convincing. From straight on, 3D images pop right out nicely, and thanks to that tracking, you don't have to hold the phone completely still to make sure they don't disappear. You have to turn it something fierce before the illusion breaks.

http://gizmodo.com/o...e-3d-1677424608

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • 6,750 posts

Ring wearable gesture device hands-on

Ring is a wearable smart device that connects to your smartphone with Bluetooth. It wirelessly allows you to make gestures in the face of your phone to launch apps and perform certain functions. At CES 2015, we've seen this device do several things - take a photo, launch a basic music app, and even Tweet. Users are invited to work with the gestures already built in to the Ring controller app or to create their own and connect to apps like Facebook, Evernote, and Yo. And you know what that means - IFTTT connectivity as well.

http://www.slashgear...ds-on-04361932/

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • 6,750 posts

What I really want is voice control windows, heat, and locks.

Parrot RNB 6 brings Android Auto and CarPlay to any ol' car
No, you won't need a new car just to get Android Auto or Apple's CarPlay. Parrot's RNB 6 head unit will add both to any car you like.
http://www.cnet.com/...-unit-ces-2015/

LAS VEGAS -- The dashboard is getting smarter, and smartphones are playing a huge part of making it happen. At this point, most manufacturers have pledged support for either Apple's CarPlay or Google's Android Auto, two systems that will bring the power of their mobile operating systems to the dashboard, but do it in a safe way that won't be too distracting.
But, if you have an older car, your options have been few. Pioneer's NEX line has added CarPlay, but now Parrot is getting in on the game too, adding support for both Apple's and Google's solutions to its upcoming RNB 6 head unit.

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • 6,750 posts

Virtual reality comes to the desktop, thanks to HP and Zspace

http://www.extremete...o-hp-and-zspace

The first time I donned a pair of special glasses and picked up a wired stylus to enter a virtual reality was over 25 years ago. It required extremely expensive hardware, and only allowed for a simple, low-resolution, experience of machining a part on a virtual lathe. But we were all sure that practical applications were just around the corner. It has taken much longer than most of us predicted, but with its new Zvr display, HP is bringing to market a practical and useful VR tool for educators, scientists, and other professionals that need to have accurate, simulated interactions with computer-generated models.

The heart of the Zvr (if you’ll forgive the pun) is a special-purpose display from VR startup Zspace, which incorporates four cameras for head-tracking, a fully gyroscopic stylus that allows for both precise pointing and true 3D manipulation of objects, and a 3D display that uses special glasses. HP is also offering Zview software for the sharing of 3D content suitable for use on the Zvr.
I got to use the Zvr to manipulate a model of a human heart, and was able to quickly and easily select different portions of the heart, and move it around simply by twisting my wrist — the way I would if I were actually holding it in my hand. The result was an experience that felt natural, and was also precise enough that I could imagine how powerful it could be as a learning tool for fields that require a detailed understanding of complex physical objects, such as anatomy or mechanical engineering.

Jakob

Jakob

Fenny-Eyed Slubber-Yuck

• Members
  • 5,241 posts
  • LocationIn the Basket of Deplorables
Forget selfies, could 2015 be the year of 'dronies'?

2014 was, emphatically, the year of the selfie. Everyone from the Queen to the Pope seemed to be getting in on the 'self-photo' act. Even a monkey managed to make the headlines after composing a grinning self shot on a photographer's camera.

Now, 2015 has put its stake in the ground by suggesting a high-flying variation on the trend.

An ongoing Kickstarter project called Zano aims to take the selfie aerial, through the use of drone technology. Billed as "the world's most sophisticated nano drone", the Zano connects to your smartphone and tracks it from a distance of 15-30 metres, allowing the user to compose photos of themselves from high in the sky.

I have to say, though, "dronies" just sounds silly. Then again, so does "selfies".

Click 'show' to see quotes from great luminaries.

Spoiler

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,148 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda
Hands On With Samsung's 110-inch 8K Glasses-Free 3D TV

The native 8K 2D stuff looked mouthwateringly good on the new ‘SUHD’ screen (see also CES 2015: Hands On With Samsung’s New ‘Super UHD’ Tizen TVs). There was no trace of visible line or pixel structure even if you stuck your face up to the vast screen, there was no jaggedness even around angled or curved lines in the picture, there was no sign of compression noise, detail levels are just incredible, and colours are rendered with such infinite blend and tone precision that you just can’t see the ‘join’ at all. Or to sum it up, the glorious if predictable shots of old cities and the interiors of beautiful buildings enjoy a realism and sense of ‘being there’ that I haven’t seen before in the TV world.

Basically, 8K removes the tech wall between you and what you’re watching on a huge screen every bit as effectively as 4K does on smaller screens. Stunning.

8K is extreme. It's like a bend in reality, where you're actually viewing something with your own eyes. An optical wormhole.
Unfortunately, Samsung dungs it up with the 3D aspect... effin' hell, just leave 3D to holograms and VR.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,148 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda
5G could be used for real-time holographic video, says UK’s Ofcom

Seeing as we barely know what 5G is supposed to be just yet, spelling out its use cases is a bit of a rocky job. According to Ofcom:

The spectrum… could support a variety of uses, ranging from financial trading and entertainment to gaming and holographic projections, with the potential to support very high demand users in busy areas, like city centres.

A picture on that page depicts a vision of real-time holographic video communications. Well, this is five years into the future after all, and whatever 5G is, it will likely have a lot of bandwidth to play with.

ofcom-holophone-image.jpg

A lot of bandwidth we'll exceptionlessly find ways to use until it's not enough.

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,966 posts
  • LocationLondon

HTC's M9 flagship phone reportedly coming in March alongside smartwatch

HTC has already begun the hype cycle for its next flagship smartphone by teasing its March 1st Mobile World Congress event, and now Bloomberg has some more details on what might be in store. The follow-up to the HTC One M8 is indeed codenamed M9, the news service reports, and features a similar design to its predecessor with gold, gray, and silver color options.

The rear-facing camera is said to weigh in at a hefty 20 megapixels, but that doesn't mean HTC is abandoning its UltraPixel concept entirely; the front-facing camera will reportedly use the larger pixels, which should make for better low-light selfies. The M9 will run on an eight-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 810 processor; includes Dolby 5.1 audio technology; and comes with Sense 7, HTC's latest Android skin, according to Bloomberg.

http://www.theverge....twatch-mwc-2015

XCFPZmm.jpg

Zeitgeist123

Zeitgeist123

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,801 posts

a device that will end all washing machines/handwashing forever. It will also save you 80% of water and energy consumption. swiss-engineered and cost $85.

https://www.indiegog...-washing-device

“Philosophy is a pretty toy if one indulges in it with moderation at the right time of life. But if one pursues it further than one should, it is absolute ruin." - Callicles to Socrates

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • 6,512 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

a device that will end all washing machines/handwashing forever. It will also save you 80% of water and energy consumption. swiss-engineered and cost $85.

https://www.indiegog...-washing-device

Boom! Just like that, this crowdfunding campaign has surpassed the funding goal... and still have 24 more days to go.

I'm curious if it works as it claims to do.

What about grass stains? Someone will need to test that.

What are you without the sum of your parts?

superexistence

superexistence

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

I'll be impressed when it needs no detergents and can be used to do a bundle of washing.

• Raklian likes this

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,148 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

The future of holographic video

Holographic video displays, featuring three-dimensional images, are about to "go large" and become a lot more affordable at the same time, thanks to the work of a team of Brigham Young University (BYU) researchers and their collaborators at Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT).
It's all about manipulating light. Three of the primary methods include: reflection, refraction and diffraction. In this case, diffraction is the key, and essentially enables lines—almost any type—to bend and filter light.

thefutureofh.jpg

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,148 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda
The Technology Coming in 2015: a Realistic Analysis

In the 2015 of “Back to the Future II” there were flying cars and auto-drying clothes, and now that the future of 2015 has arrived and it is real, the year has started with a technology fair (the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in Las Vegas), packed with inventions as characteristic of this science fiction film as the cartoon “The Jetsons”. The manufacturers try to entice consumers with smart bracelets, robots, giant curved TVs, drones, appliances controlled from the office, or food printers. Given this string of futuristic gadgets, “Ventana al Conocimiento” (Knowledge Window) offers a realistic analysis of those technologies setting the trend in 2015 and that will provide new tools for the general public.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,148 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

I'll be impressed when it needs no detergents and can be used to do a bundle of washing.

Though that would be awesome, I'll take what I can get.

Time_Traveller

Time_Traveller

Master of Time Travel

• Members
  • 6,066 posts
  • LocationRepublic of Jordan, 1 January 3025 C.E.

Can a 'smart' bed help your child sleep better?

19 February 2015

The technology world's current obsession with activity tracking is not confined simply to daytime - it is also increasingly becoming part of our nocturnal routine too.

While most of the innovation has centred around wrist-worn fitness devices in bed, there are now attempts to incorporate them more directly into our beds themselves.
Standalone devices like the $149 (approximately £100) Beddit consist of a length of sensor-laden tape under the mattress which then communicates results via Bluetooth to your smartphone.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...nology-31521934

I want to go ahead of Father Time with a scythe of my own.

H. G. Wells

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,148 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda
New Haptics That Can Trick Your Sense of Touch Could Be Crucial to Smartwatches and Virtual Reality

The offices of Immersion in San Jose, California, may be the touchy-feeliest place I’ve ever been. The walls of one conference room are lined with tablets, smartphones, smart watches, and other gadgets that all have the ability to stimulate your sense of touch.

I’m here to experience technology that can go far beyond the sometimes annoying buzzing that passes for touch feedback today in devices such as smartphones. Immersion and other companies are beginning to roll out a new wave of more real haptic feedback techniques. They could enhance our smartphones and tablets, and become crucial to new gadgets such as virtual reality headsets and smart watches. Apple has positioned haptic feedback as a central part of its smart watch, to be released in April, boasting that it will get your attention with what feels like a light tap on the wrist, not a crude buzz.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,148 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

Pebble Hits Its $500K Kickstarter Target For Pebble Time In Just 17 Minutes

Pebble knew that a return to Kickstarter was the right path for its new hardware, and the speed with which it reached its goal has proven that to be true: Already, thecampaign has passed $500,000 on the crowdfunding platform. Pebble CEO Eric Migicovsky told me in an interview that part of the reason they went back to KS was as a “stunt,” and this proves that kind of marketing strategy can be extremely effective.
But it was also about paying homage to the community that did it to begin with, according to Migicovsky.

screen-shot-2015-02-24-at-10-17-45-am.pn

That was about 3 hours ago.

Here's where it is now.

9EwHhKX.png

Australopiths and neanderthals should be damn proud.

• mik1192 likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: leisure, internet of things, home automation, smartphones, wearable technology, video games, domestic robotics, electronics, relaxation, home

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users