Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

Home & Leisure News and Discussions

leisure internet of things home automation smartphones wearable technology video games domestic robotics electronics relaxation home

• Please log in to reply
316 replies to this topic

Time_Traveller

Time_Traveller

Master of Time Travel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,064 posts
  • LocationRepublic of Jordan, 1 January 3025 C.E.

Unlocking your door might soon be as easy as 'open sesame'

25 February 2015

Kids and adults alike have long jokingly said "open sesame" in the hopes those magic words might literally open doors. Dheera Venkatraman, a grad student at MIT, might be the first person to make the words actually work.

Venkatraman built an app called "Sesame" for Android Wear that lets him talk (or shout) the words "OK Google, open sesame" into his Android Wear smartwatch. The watch then sends a signal to his hacked-together Internet-connected door lock to unlock the door without a key.

I want to go ahead of Father Time with a scythe of my own.

H. G. Wells

Time_Traveller

Time_Traveller

Master of Time Travel

• Members
  • 6,064 posts

BBC licence fee goes by 2030

26 February 2015

_81236370_bbccmspa2_cut2.jpg

The TV licence does not have a long-term future and is likely to be replaced by a new levy within the next 15 years, a group of MPs has said.
The fee is "becoming harder and harder to justify" given changes in the media, according to the House of Commons Culture, Media and Sport Committee.
The MPs suggested every household could pay a new compulsory levy instead.
The BBC does not agree that the fee will have to be replaced, but accepts it will probably have to be modernised.
The select committee's proposals were made in a new report about the future of the BBC.

H. G. Wells

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,133 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

Start-up Leia to demo Star Wars-inspired hologram display technology next week

U.S. start-up Leia is demonstrating its 3D holographic display technology at Mobile World Congress, promising a chance to see what mobile holography is all about.

Demonstrations of future technologies are among the more exciting exhibits at Mobile World Congress, and Leia looks sure to wow visitors at this year’s edition, which starts on Monday in Barcelona.

Leia’s goal is to make the company’s technology cheap and compact enough to be integrated into smartphones and other mobile devices. It can be used to produce imagery”that floats above the screen” and that users can interact with, founder and CEO David Fattal said in a presentation last year.

Potential applications include maps with buildings that pop out or games where a ball comes out the screen, according to Fattal.

8143485010_5537bfd47a_o-100569997-large.

Nobody's gonna take my drone, I'm gonna fly miles far too high!
Nobody gonna beat my drone, it's gonna shoot into the sky!

Time_Traveller

Time_Traveller

Master of Time Travel

• Members
  • 6,064 posts
Real life “Mr. Fusion” Coming Soon.

1 March 2015

tumblr_inline_nkjm5vYvi61qjxm8t.jpg

The Mr. Fusion reactor from the famed movie series Back to the Future could soon be a reality.
2015 appears to be right on schedule according to the Back to the Future movies series as a group of German scientists have found a way to created the famous Mr. Fusion reactor for real.
The new device will be capable of turning everything from coffee grounds and human waste into electricity.
The device is a type of biogas reactor, which typically only process a single type of organic waste, but this version is designed to work with multiple different substances.
Read more about this new device over at Science Daily.

Wow, Real life 2015 is getting more and more like BTTF 2.

H. G. Wells

Time_Traveller

Time_Traveller

Master of Time Travel

• Members
  • 6,064 posts

Qualcomm's ultrasonic 3D fingerprint scanner could one day give passwords the finger 

2 March 2015

Right now, your secure fingerprint scanner is only as good as the integrity of your skin. If your digit is too hot or cold, slicked with lotion or sweat, that reader may not accurately pick up your prints.

Doesn't sound good, does it? That's what the Snapdragon Sense ID 3D fingerprint scanning technology Qualcomm announced at Mobile World Congress aims to address. It uses acoustic ultrasonics -- sound, basically -- to capture your print in just about any state of being.
CNET went to Qualcomm's headquarters in San Diego for a demo of what it's like and what you can do. Before I get into that, though, here's why you should care about sound-gathered prints to begin with.

H. G. Wells

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,963 posts
  • LocationLondon

Ikea unveils phone-charging furniture at MWC

By Zoe Kleinman Technology reporter, BBC News

Furniture giant Ikea has unveiled a range of furniture fitted with wireless charging spots for mobile devices.

The Home Smart range will initially include lamps, bedside tables and a coffee table as well as individual charging pads for any surface.

Ikea has used the wireless charging standard QI, which is also supported by Samsung in its latest handset, the S6.

Environmental group Friends of the Earth urged caution over the recyclability of such products.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...nology-31693088

g30ce9N.jpg

• Time_Traveller and ironland like this

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,133 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda
PH124337.jpg
The Future™ is wireless.
As it should be.

"Beautiful" Google Architecture

As a Redditor said, this looks like a membrane.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,133 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

Time_Traveller

Time_Traveller

Master of Time Travel

• Members
  • 6,064 posts

Mobile industry dips its toes in 5G waters for next-gen networks

3 March 2015

The networking industry is showing new confidence it can make next-generation "5G" networking a practical reality.

Network equipment makers Ericsson and Nokia Networks are demonstrating the fifth-generation technology on the show floor here at the Mobile World Congress show. And a parade of executives and one government official have taken to the stage to extoll 5G's virtues.
"The 5G infrastructure is expected to become the nervous system of the digital society and digital economy," said Günther Oettinger, the European Commission member whose job is to encourage that very digital development.
5G networks will transfer data much faster than today's 3G and 4G when they start arriving in about five years, and mobile networking will look very different. A major increase in download speeds will help streaming video and instant app updates. Crucially, 5G will also bring shorter communication delays that will enable fast-response services like augmented reality, self-driving cars and online gaming features impossible today. Last, 5G should help sweep billions of new devices into the network through a transformation called the Internet of Things (IoT).
With better networks, people can -- and do -- use their mobile devices more. In South Korea, the switch to 4G networks meant people use mobile devices to watch 14 times as much video, shop online 13 times as much and bank five times as much as before, said Chang-Gyu Hwang, chief executive of carrier Korea Telecom.
5G should further those increases and lead to entirely new services, too.
Carriers and network operators hope to start building 5G networks with a globally standardized version of the technology starting in 2020, though widespread adoption will take longer. Early trials should arrive in 2018, with projects set for the World Cup soccer tournament in Russia and the Winter Olympics in South Korea.

H. G. Wells

Time_Traveller

Time_Traveller

Master of Time Travel

• Members
  • 6,064 posts

StoreDot rapid-charging battery heads to smartphones this year

6 March 2015

Smartphones are amazing things, but one gripe felt almost universally is the problem of dreadful battery life. StoreDot hopes to ease our worries, showing off the latest iteration of its charge-in-seconds tech at Mobile World Congress. What's more, it says we'll see this technology in a real smartphone before the end of this year.
StoreDot's system, which you can see in action in the video above, uses a different chemical makeup to traditional batteries. We saw a modified Samsung Galaxy S5 go from 15 percent battery to 100 percent in a little under two minutes, but StoreDot says it hopes to get a 1,500mAh battery to charge in one minute by the end of the year.
While mobile makers like Samsung and Apple have focused on trying to make batteries last longer, StoreDot's approach is different. Instead, it wants to build batteries that charge up very quickly, making topping up your phone's charge a trivial matter. There's a trade-off involved however -- StoreDot's current battery will only last you around 4-5 hours. But if charging is the work of a moment, having to charge a few times through the day might not be such a terrible compromise.

H. G. Wells

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,963 posts
  • LocationLondon

This Water Faucet Saves Water By Creating Beautiful Spirals

March 8, 2015 by John Vibes

Simin Qiu, a student at London’s Royal College of Art, has invented a unique water faucet that uses the laws of physics to save water.

Qiu was inspired by the many sacred spirals that exist in nature, in plants, shells and many other examples of natural spiraling phenomena. Qiu also noticed that water spiraled in nature in many circumstances, especially when in a pipeline.

Researching further, Qiu found that water actually slows down while in a spiral or pipeline, so he set out to create a water faucet that would create a spiral, and hopefully save water.

Read More: http://www.trueactiv...utiful-spirals/

GReIh5d.jpg

• Raklian, Zaphod and Yuli Ban like this

raxo2222

raxo2222

e^x

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • LocationCanada, AD 2100, December 31st.

This Water Faucet Saves Water By Creating Beautiful Spirals

March 8, 2015 by John Vibes

Simin Qiu, a student at London’s Royal College of Art, has invented a unique water faucet that uses the laws of physics to save water.

Qiu was inspired by the many sacred spirals that exist in nature, in plants, shells and many other examples of natural spiraling phenomena. Qiu also noticed that water spiraled in nature in many circumstances, especially when in a pipeline.

Researching further, Qiu found that water actually slows down while in a spiral or pipeline, so he set out to create a water faucet that would create a spiral, and hopefully save water.

Read More: http://www.trueactiv...utiful-spirals/

GReIh5d.jpg

Nice.... *stares at flowing water for 5 minutes*

Err but it won't save water :p

Glass full of water is glass full of water.

But yes this could be used for aesthetics :p

Any technology sufficiently advanced is indistinguishable from magic.* - A. Clarke
Any magic sufficiently analyzed is indistinguishable from technology.** - Somewhere from Internet

*Relatively, comparing to rest of world. Go back in time with modern tech. **Lets assume its working only in fantasy/simulated world. Go forward in time with unicorns.

Zaphod

Zaphod

Esteemed Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts
  • LocationUK

It could save water when washing hands/dishes.

Does anyone know what happened to the shower that recycles water? I feel this technology should be revolutionary in saving water and heating, but there hasn't been any media interest or consumer versions as far as I'm aware of.

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • 6,730 posts

Real-time holographic displays one step closer to reality
9 hours ago

Researchers from the University of Cambridge have designed a new type of pixel element and demonstrated its unique switching capability, which could make three-dimensional holographic displays possible.

Read more at: http://phys.org/news...eality.html#jCp

• Yuli Ban likes this

To follow my work on tropical cyclones

Time_Traveller

Time_Traveller

Master of Time Travel

• Members
  • 6,064 posts

Real-time holographic displays one step closer to reality
9 hours ago

Researchers from the University of Cambridge have designed a new type of pixel element and demonstrated its unique switching capability, which could make three-dimensional holographic displays possible.

Read more at: http://phys.org/news...eality.html#jCp

Are we calling about Star Trek Holograms? As seen here: - http://en.memory-alp...g/wiki/Hologram

H. G. Wells

Time_Traveller

Time_Traveller

Master of Time Travel

• Members
  • 6,064 posts

Online music videos get age ratings

26 March 2015

Fans watching music videos on YouTube and Vevo will be presented with cinema-style age certificates from Thursday.
The age ratings are part of a government-backed pilot scheme, which aims to protect children from unsuitable content.
It follows concerns over explicit videos by artists including Miley Cyrus, Robin Thicke and Rihanna.
Ratings will be decided by the British Board of Film Classification, with all three major record labels taking part.
This is the second phase of the pilot, which began as a behind-the-scenes trial in October.
Since then, record companies Sony, Universal and Warners have been submitting their videos to the BBFC for consideration.
The initial phase found that roughly 20% of all videos would receive a 12, 15 or 18 certificate.
However, labels were not required to submit videos they felt would not attract a rating, and only acts signed in Britain were scrutinised.
Among the songs deemed to require certification were Ellie Goulding's Love Me Like You Do - from the soundtrack to Fifty Shades of Grey. The video, which contained several excerpts from the erotic thriller, was rated 15 by the BBFC for "strong sex references".

H. G. Wells

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • 6,730 posts

Google Working on Project to Let You Receive and Pay Bills Directly Inside Gmail

http://recode.net/20...y-inside-gmail/

Google’s mission to organize the world’s information is now targeting your physical mailbox.

The company is currently working on a project that will allow Gmail users to more easily receive bills in their email inbox instead of their mailbox. Called Pony Express, the service also is designed to let people pay their bills within Gmail, rather than having to go to a telecom or utility company’s website to complete a payment.

Those details are outlined in a lengthy document viewed by Re/code. The new service is scheduled to start in the fourth quarter, according to the document. It’s not clear whether Pony Express is a code name or one that’ll be used if it comes to market. A Google spokeswoman declined to comment

To follow my work on tropical cyclones

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,133 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

Graphene light bulb is to go on sale later this year

A light bulb made with graphene - said by its UK developers to be the first commercially viable consumer product using the super-strong carbon - is to go on sale later this year.
The dimmable bulb contains a filament-shaped LED coated in graphene. It was designed at Manchester University, where the material was discovered.
It is said to cut energy use by 10% and last longer owing to its conductivity.
The National Graphene Institute at the university was opened this month.

_81974407_bulb_osbornel.jpg

• Casey likes this

tierbook

tierbook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationCharleston sc

10% less energy than what? Standard bulbs or florescents?

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,133 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

10% less energy than what? Standard bulbs or florescents?

LEDs.

• ironland likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: leisure, internet of things, home automation, smartphones, wearable technology, video games, domestic robotics, electronics, relaxation, home

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users