Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

What are we reading?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,247 posts
  • LocationLondon
Currently reading The God Species, by Mark Lynas (the same guy who wrote Six Degrees) -

http://www.amazon.co...f=docs-os-doi_0

It's really good. A balanced and logical view of global warming. He talks a lot about "planet boundaries" and resource limits.

jjf3

jjf3

Not a Member of the Tea Party! Just a Concerned Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,046 posts
  • LocationHolmdel NJ/Tampa Fl
I am currently reading Dark Horse by Ralph Reed

It's about politics and an Independent Democrat who runs for President. Very good thriller full of conspiracies, sex, backstabbing and a terrorist attack!

Before this I read Herman Cain's Book, the new Steve Jobs book, and a book about Howard Hughes life.
"Did you really expect some utopian fantasy to rise from the ashes?" Thomas Zarek-- Battlestar Galactica.

Caiman

Caiman

Administratus Extremus

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • LocationManchester, England
I've read a fair few 'popular science' books on the subject of QM but this one is really accessible and up to date The Quantum Universe: Everything that can happen does happen
~Jon

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • 3,274 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow
Lot's of stuff to read for my work, so during free time I rarely read in last weeks, but I'm in middle of Einstein's Mirror, and towards end of Musui's Story. First one tends to be hard at times, just when I thought I was good with relativity :). Second one is a great twist at samurai culture, depicting a real low life from Tokugawa Shogunate, brawls, loans, corruption, foul language. And since it's autobiography at times you're pretty much sure he exaggerates his deeds or skips some of his crimes. :)
"I walk alone and do no evil, having only a few wishes, just like an elephant in the forest."

"Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone."

Dead Redshirt

Dead Redshirt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts
Currently reading "New York" by Edward Rutherfurd. Great read, which chronicles different families throughout different generations, beginning with the city as a Dutch settlement, up to 9/11.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. - Jack Layton - 1950 - 2011

Logically Irrational

Logically Irrational

For Lack of a Better Name

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,542 posts
  • LocationHoover Dam
I've started reading a lot of the source material for the timeline. Finished Engines of Creation and Climate Wars and have now moved on to Mining the Sky. I'm really enjoying it so far, mainly considering all that's happened in the years since it was published.

Posted Image
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,247 posts
  • LocationLondon
I'm reading The End of Growth.

Only got through 20 pages so far, but already it's terrifying.

Here's a graph from it...

Posted Image

truthiness

truthiness

The Squire of Gothos

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts
  • LocationKalamazoo MI
That graph looks exactly like the ones from Limits to Growth... is The End of Growth the 40-year update?
You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us, and the world will be as one

Caiman

Caiman

Administratus Extremus

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • LocationManchester, England
I'm reading this rather provocative book by Christopher Hitchens; God is not great: How religion poisons everything. It's wonderfully witty and well argued, though I feel he's preaching to the converted, it's not something I can see the faithful picking up and having a revelation from!
~Jon

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,247 posts
  • LocationLondon

That graph looks exactly like the ones from Limits to Growth... is The End of Growth the 40-year update?

That graph is indeed from Limits to Growth.

The End of Growth is a separate book - but pretty much confirms that the earlier predictions are still on track, i.e. we're fucked.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users