Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

Weaponized Asimo or Atlas?

robots terminator weapons

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Dmhead

Dmhead

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNor-Way

Could a weaponized Asimo or Atlas work today?

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow

Of course. But it might not be too practical. It's better to use son of a farmer with a rifle. But technically it's possible. Just add one of those guns they use on Korean-Korean border.

http://gizmodo.com/5...om-three-clicks

"I walk alone and do no evil, having only a few wishes, just like an elephant in the forest."

"Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone."

Dmhead

Dmhead

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNor-Way

Of course. But it might not be too practical. It's better to use son of a farmer with a rifle. But technically it's possible. Just add one of those guns they use on Korean-Korean border.

http://gizmodo.com/5...om-three-clicks

Wouldn't that be a little too heavy for them? Maybe a Heckler 416?

http://youtu.be/EkscIbPh6Pk

FutureGuy

FutureGuy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Impractical and by no means cheap. Give robotics 15-20 years to be cheap and advanced enough to match humans without costing too much and then we'll get humanoid fighting robots. 

GenX

GenX

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,045 posts
  • LocationSo Cal

You definitely could, of course, but the question is whether they are good enough to differentiate friend from foe.  If you want to drop an armed Asimo into some terrorist camp or something and tell them to just kill every living thing then that's one thing, but until every soldier is wearing a friend-or-foe tag, I don't see how you can have armed robots fighting in any kind of battle where there might be friendly human forces as well.

The only thing we ever want is more

Bradley

Bradley

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA
Yes, as long as the mission is less than five minutes long. The problem is portable and quiet power sources. The ones that run on gas sound like noisy leaf blowers. Also, why would anyone weaponize a humanoid robot when nonhumanoid robots would do a better job? Drones are aerial robots that are more efficient at killing without detection. If a robot is on the ground you want to use it to gather intelligence or capture targets, not kill. Human soldiers kill because the risk and cost of capturing an enemy is too high. Robots lower those costs.

Mike the average

Mike the average

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,459 posts

bit spooked by this thread actually, Asimo always reminds me of Astroboy, some of you mightve been old enough to watch this classic asian cartoon (actually made nearly half a century ago).  His half brother was the less sociable and more violent Atlas...both were weaponised, astro was the gimped but good hearted main character.

Posted Image

'Force always attracts men of low morality' - Einstein
'Great spirits always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds' - Einstein

Dmhead

Dmhead

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNor-Way

Yes, as long as the mission is less than five minutes long. The problem is portable and quiet power sources. The ones that run on gas sound like noisy leaf blowers. Also, why would anyone weaponize a humanoid robot when nonhumanoid robots would do a better job? Drones are aerial robots that are more efficient at killing without detection. If a robot is on the ground you want to use it to gather intelligence or capture targets, not kill. Human soldiers kill because the risk and cost of capturing an enemy is too high. Robots lower those costs.

Ah I see. So UGV drones are more reliable to use. Saw some footage on youtube. Some of them look awesome and could be a real power to reckon in the battlefield. Still would be fun to see a fully armed Asimo going amok in a Taliban camp :biggrin:

https://www.youtube....h?v=-KWOjYFSvQs

Dmhead

Dmhead

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNor-Way

You definitely could, of course, but the question is whether they are good enough to differentiate friend from foe.  If you want to drop an armed Asimo into some terrorist camp or something and tell them to just kill every living thing then that's one thing, but until every soldier is wearing a friend-or-foe tag, I don't see how you can have armed robots fighting in any kind of battle where there might be friendly human forces as well.

Would well be easier to just program it to kill everything that resembles humans. I would rather 100 of these than 100 human soldiers for example in war torn Syria. 

Dmhead

Dmhead

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNor-Way

I guess we'll see more of small ugv robots like this in the future. I think they are cheaper than humanoid size robots.

Posted Image

• Craven likes this

FutureGuy

FutureGuy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts

I guess we'll see more of small ugv robots like this in the future. I think they are cheaper than humanoid size robots.

Of course. Humanoid robots are still in their infancy technology-wise,and non humanoid robots benefit from not being restricted by human physical limitations.

Dmhead

Dmhead

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNor-Way

I read that this robot MAARS(Modular Advanced Armed Robotic System) packs a lot of firepower and technology. Armed with M240 machine gun and four M203 grenade launcher. Also features multiple onboard day and night cameras, motion detectors, an acoustic microphone, a hostile fire detection system, and a speaker system with a siren to provide optimum situational awareness and alarm.

Bradley

Bradley

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted Image

Yes, except the gun and rocket launchers are ridiculous. This thing looks like it is built to please short sighted buyers at the Pentagon. Those numbskulls are stuck in a hot war mentality. They were trained to kill and blow things up so it is difficult for them to adapt to contemporary realities.

Unity

Unity

Information Organism

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,388 posts

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users