Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

Physical Media

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Caiman

Caiman

Administratus Extremus

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts
  • LocationManchester, England
Major high street retailers are having a hard time shifting DVDs, CDs and Games lately- Stores like iTunes, Streaming DVD rentals and 'direct to drive' type services for game downloads have been with us a while now but with ever increasing broadband speeds and storage space available, are we finally reaching a point where digital purchasing/downloading is growing at such a pace it will usher in the death of physical media, or do you think there'll always be a market for hard copies, beyond 'purists' and collectors?
~Jon

CamGoldenGun

CamGoldenGun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts
  • LocationFort McMurray, AB. Canada.

Major high street retailers are having a hard time shifting DVDs, CDs and Games lately- Stores like iTunes, Streaming DVD rentals and 'direct to drive' type services for game downloads have been with us a while now but with ever increasing broadband speeds and storage space available, are we finally reaching a point where digital purchasing/downloading is growing at such a pace it will usher in the death of physical media, or do you think there'll always be a market for hard copies, beyond 'purists' and collectors?

I think Bill Gates said that he thought this Generation of game console may be the last with physical media for their games. I'm not sure what the plans are for Nintendo's new console but if we're two or three years away from a new Xbox or PlayStation I can see games being bought online and downloaded bypassing GameStop and other retailers. It's already at the point where anything multiplayer EA has tacked on a $10 online fee so those who buy their games second-hand might end up paying more then the brand new copy.

As SDD becomes cheaper this may be the new 'cartridge' for media if people want a physical copy, but really if you're already downloading it off of the developer's server or a third-party vendor like Steam, Stardock or Impulse I don't see why they can't put an iso or something for you to back it up yourself if you really want to.

Caiman

Caiman

Administratus Extremus

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts
  • LocationManchester, England
There's no doubt for me that within the next decade, physical media will be consigned to backup devices and collectors editions. I think this is still likely to happen even if we end up with a two tier internet, having to pay more for streaming or downloads that consume a lot of bandwidth- the 'masses' seem willing to throw billions of their hard earned cash at companies like Apple which severely restrict and control their content, I'm sure people will lap up paying a premium for ultra high speed content delivery. It's practically already possible to stream HD content without interuption, when that's guaranteed, I think we could even start to see a revolution in the concept of owning media- why purchase a DVD when you can just watch it on demand (so for me, this is different to current rental services where you have to wait for a disc, put it back in the post, etc).
~Jon

atoblade

atoblade

Time Lord

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
I Haven't brought a dvd in around 5 years now, every movie and tv-show is HD streamable online for free. Plus a bonus is the content is released at the time as US release which is normally a few weeks/months (depending) ahead on UK.
  • Chronomaster likes this

CamGoldenGun

CamGoldenGun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts
  • LocationFort McMurray, AB. Canada.

I Haven't brought a dvd in around 5 years now, every movie and tv-show is HD streamable online for free. Plus a bonus is the content is released at the time as US release which is normally a few weeks/months (depending) ahead on UK.

Ditto, and I'm starting to not even buy games anymore. A similar postal service like what Jon stated is how I'm renting my video games now. I still buy a lot of games but I think I'll do renting more often because I don't play them for too long and I rarely go back to them unless they were awesome in which case I likely own the game.

Trezoristo

Trezoristo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationLeiden, The Netherlands
I absolutely agree, for some years now it has been possible to download a movie, any movie, and play it on a computer within half an hour. Sadly, up to this point it were only illegal channels that offered this amount of user friendliness. That now finally seems to change. Another necessary development to get rid of physical media is interoperability between different machines. I believe an important reason for movie-piracy not being bigger than it currently is, lies in the difficulties faced when getting a file downloaded on a computer on a television screen. Today any electrical device that cares to take itself serious can connect to a home-network and the internet, removing those obstacles. It seems music has led the way here, Spotify being a nice example of a music service that lets you use one account to stream music to pretty much anything. Games are coming along too, with Steam leading the way here, for instance by the recent possibility of buying a game for several platforms at once.

Nick1984

Nick1984

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts
I hope we get to see all the old movies (and new) released on HVD so that we have hard copies of them in their 35mm glory.

atoblade

atoblade

Time Lord

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Ditto, and I'm starting to not even buy games anymore. A similar postal service like what Jon stated is how I'm renting my video games now. I still buy a lot of games but I think I'll do renting more often because I don't play them for too long and I rarely go back to them unless they were awesome in which case I likely own the game.

Games are a different for me, console games normally get second hand. PC games, old games I'll torrent but new games it's extremely hard to crack and play online on mainsteam servers online, so at least for the min I am buying physical copies of new pc games.

I absolutely agree, for some years now it has been possible to download a movie, any movie, and play it on a computer within half an hour. Sadly, up to this point it were only illegal channels that offered this amount of user friendliness. That now finally seems to change.

Another necessary development to get rid of physical media is interoperability between different machines. I believe an important reason for movie-piracy not being bigger than it currently is, lies in the difficulties faced when getting a file downloaded on a computer on a television screen. Today any electrical device that cares to take itself serious can connect to a home-network and the internet, removing those obstacles.

It seems music has led the way here, Spotify being a nice example of a music service that lets you use one account to stream music to pretty much anything. Games are coming along too, with Steam leading the way here, for instance by the recent possibility of buying a game for several platforms at once.

As long as both the tv and laptop have a HDMI cable port your good to go with the tv connection problem (last few years nearly all laptops do have HDMI ports). I love Spotify and its one of the few services I pay for, I use the unlimited so no time limits or ads if your into music I recommend is highly :)

OrbitalResonance

OrbitalResonance

Cosmic Emperor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts
  • LocationDeep Space
Also, dont forget about internet TV boxes such as Roku!

We make our world significant by the courage of our questions and the depth of our answers. - Carl Sagan

Chronomaster

Chronomaster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
There will always be 'physical media' indeed, though I do agree that the vast majority of content will be delivered digitally and the concept of 'ownership' of entertainment media might change entirely if 'the cloud' comes to fruition- we're already close to this, having access to our entire libraries of music, movies and gaming on the move. Having to get up to change the disk in the XBOX is just an unnecessary inconvenience these days :p
Counting down...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users