Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

Large Population Growth in Russia in the Future?

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

Futurist

Futurist

Aspiring cross-dresser

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,802 posts
  • LocationSouthern California, United States of America, Planet Earth

1st world no longer is into big families, whatever 'world' Russia is, doesn't seem to promote natural increase or via immigration

Isnt it difficult just to get a visa?

In any case they are lucky their population already is very competitive for the future as is, however I think inequality will hold them back, if it isn't obvious already.

I don't know about visas, but Russia apparently already has a large number of immigrants.

Also, as for inequality, the U.S. is full of inequality and yet our population is still growing relatively quickly.

Ryan94

Ryan94

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts
For those who don't know:

1st world: Allies during WW2 and cold war
2nd word: Communists
3rd word: Neutral countries during WW2 and cold war

Futurist

Futurist

Aspiring cross-dresser

• Members
  • 5,802 posts

Um ... OK.

Mashallah

Mashallah

Transgender student

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,332 posts
  • LocationSerbia

Actually wrong. It's only the three main cold war blocks, WW2 isn't related to it.

USA+US allies; USSR+USSR allies; neutrals.

I don't like being lied to, but I'm also tired of The Truth.

Man cannot remake himself without suffering, for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Futurist

Futurist

Aspiring cross-dresser

• Members
  • 5,802 posts

I've done some more reading on that increase and some sources seem to suggest it is because it is immigration to Russia from the countries in Central Asia rather than a fertility boost within Russia. That would lead me to believe that the population boost Russia is going to get will be minimal at best.

Actually, I think that both of these factors are responsible for this.

However, I was talking about more in the long(er)-term, such as after Russia becomes a Western-style democracy. After all, despite its apparently low total fertility rate, Canada's population is still rapidly growing right now due to rapid immigration. Why exactly can't the same eventually happen with/to Russia's population?

1. Most stupid thing I have read today. Latvia is a western style democracy, and its population has fallen from 2.9 million in 1990 to 2 million now. It is predicted to more than halve by 2050! Russia has been experiencing population growth since 2009.

2. All of the Eastern European populations are falling, and Russia (except the far West oblasts i.e. Pskov) has the best demographics out of Eastern Europe.

3. I don't understand why people think Russia is "the dying bear," since all evidence points out that Russian population is growing.

1. I am well aware that a country's population growth rate has little to do with what system of government it has.

2. I don't think that this is true for the Czech Republic, though.

3. Ignorance and a lack of accurate, recent information on this.

Futurist

Futurist

Aspiring cross-dresser

• Members
  • 5,802 posts

Have not read everything, but I will say this.

I am very interested in post-soviet demographics, and I have to say, the Russian population has been growing continuously since 2009, as a result of immigration from Central Asia AND improving fertility. Fertility in Russia has been improving pretty much ever since Putin came to power. Although there will be a rather large dip because of the relatively small amount of babies born the 1990s, this could be cancelled out by immigration. I suggest reading Mark Adomanis, a columnist on Forbes. He presents the facts as they are.

Yes, this appears to be correct. Here are some useful charts in regards to this:

RussiaTotalPopulation.png

NewEURussiaFertility.png

omega_tyrant

omega_tyrant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationThe Middle Kingdom

I don't think so. Yes, Russia "can support" much more than its current population, but population depends from fertility / mortality rates, and not from natural resources or amount of free space. Current fertility rate (1.6) is pretty much typical for Europe and i see no reason why would it radically change in the future. The only sources of "large growth" are indeed mass immigration from Cental Asia and "conquests" i.e. reunification of territories with Russian-speaking population a-la Crimea.

Russia could also receive mass immigration from areas other than Central Asia.

Africa, most likely. It seems to be the only place with a stable high fertility number, and I think that will be doubly true by mid century. Or triply-true, since Africa's population is expected to triple in the longest range forecasts.

Futurist

Futurist

Aspiring cross-dresser

• Members
  • 5,802 posts

I don't think so. Yes, Russia "can support" much more than its current population, but population depends from fertility / mortality rates, and not from natural resources or amount of free space. Current fertility rate (1.6) is pretty much typical for Europe and i see no reason why would it radically change in the future. The only sources of "large growth" are indeed mass immigration from Cental Asia and "conquests" i.e. reunification of territories with Russian-speaking population a-la Crimea.

Russia could also receive mass immigration from areas other than Central Asia.

Africa, most likely. It seems to be the only place with a stable high fertility number, and I think that will be doubly true by mid century. Or triply-true, since Africa's population is expected to triple in the longest range forecasts.

Yes, Africa is a very possible area for this, though I would think that unfortunately many/most people in Russia don't like Black people. I obviously hope that this will eventually change in the future, though.

Rainbow Frog

Rainbow Frog

Password Scrambled

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts
  • LocationRemember me fondly!

I don't like the Russian view on Gays.

Oh you cant have kids, your useless to the state.

Last time I checked there was more to life than reproducing and I know biologists will say that is the point of life (to reproduce).

I think Humans have moved past that stage, we no longer live solely to reproduce.

People are illogical, unreasonable, and self-centered. Love them anyway. 
If you do good, people will accuse you of selfish ulterior motives. Do good anyway. 
If you are successful, you will win false friends and true enemies. Succeed anyway. 
The good you do today will be forgotten tomorrow. Do good anyway. 
Honesty and frankness make you vulnerable. Be honest and frank anyway. 
The biggest men and women with the biggest ideas can be shot down by the smallest men and women with the smallest minds. Think big anyway. 
People favor underdogs but follow only top dogs. Fight for a few underdogs anyway. 
What you spend years building may be destroyed overnight. Build anyway. 
People really need help but may attack you if you do help them. Help people anyway. 
Give the world the best you have and you'll get kicked in the teeth. Give the world the best you have anyway.

omega_tyrant

omega_tyrant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationThe Middle Kingdom

Last time I checked there was more to life than reproducing and I know biologists will say that is the point of life (to reproduce).

I think Humans have moved past that stage, we no longer live solely to reproduce.

This is very true, but I still believe that more people=more potential to invent and create new awesome ideas. This would especially be true if AGI turned out to be unworkable for whatever reason. So, I am a "population optimist" or at the very least a "population agnostic." What I mean by that is that I don't think it will automatically be a bad thing if there are more people being born, as long as technological advancements can keep up so that more people can be reasonably accommodated. 

Futurist

Futurist

Aspiring cross-dresser

• Members
  • 5,802 posts

Actually, gay people (or at least many of them) can have kids (in the natural way and/or using IVF); plus, not all straight people ever have kids either.

TheComrade

TheComrade

BANNED

• Banned
  • 2,642 posts

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Are you serious? Do you think Russians don't like gays because of THIS?

unfortunately many/most people in Russia don't like Black people. I obviously hope that this will eventually change in the future, though.

Seriously, where did you guys get this all?

Average Russians have no any positive neither negative feelings about Blacks, just because those Blacks are almost as rare on our streets as Martians (i saw a Black guy two years ago... memorable event...).

Mashallah

Mashallah

Transgender student

• Members
  • 2,332 posts
  • LocationSerbia

Yeah, the reason for the anti-lgbt rhetorics of our government is far simpler - such people always exist in small percentages and as such are a convenient inner enemy to target. Simple fascist methods, similar to why were the Jews oppressed by Nazi Germany, except Jews were also generally rich.
Fascist regimes love inner enemies.

Man cannot remake himself without suffering, for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Cosmic Cat

Cosmic Cat

Hibernating

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,345 posts
  • Location-

Yeah, the reason for the anti-lgbt rhetorics of our government is far simpler - such people always exist in small percentages and as such are a convenient inner enemy to target. Simple fascist methods, similar to why were the Jews oppressed by Nazi Germany, except Jews were also generally rich.

I just thought Putin had a bad experience with them in his childhood. He probably went through a phase. Or because he was probably just trying to get popular vote amongst the conservative population. I can't blame him either, pussy riot is cringe worthy. 

Mashallah

Mashallah

Transgender student

• Members
  • 2,332 posts
  • LocationSerbia

I just thought Putin had a bad experience with them in his childhood. He probably went through a phase. Or because he was probably just trying to get popular vote amongst the conservative population. I can't blame him either, pussy riot is cringe worthy.
Pussy riot has extremely little to do with lgbt.

Cosmic Cat

Cosmic Cat

Hibernating

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,345 posts
  • Location-

"Their lyrical themes include feminism, LGBT rights, opposition to the policies of Russian President Vladimir Putin, whom they regard as a dictator"

http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Pussy_Riot

"Pussy Riot members have been outspoken in their support of LGBT rights, and in an early interview they confirmed that the group includes at least one member of a sexual minority.[36] Both Tolokonnikova and Samutsevich participated in the banned 2011 Gay Pride rally in Moscow, and were briefly detained after the rally was broken up by police.[37] Pussy Riot's LGBT rights advocacy is seen in a negative light by conservative Russians; according to a Levada poll published in 2010, 74% of Russians view homosexuality as a "moral perversion" or "mental illness""

Our god never lies.

Mashallah

Mashallah

Transgender student

• Members
  • 2,332 posts
  • LocationSerbia

"Their lyrical themes include feminism, LGBT rights, opposition to the policies of Russian President Vladimir Putin, whom they regard as a dictator"

http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Pussy_Riot

"Pussy Riot members have been outspoken in their support of LGBT rights, and in an early interview they confirmed that the group includes at least one member of a sexual minority.[36] Both Tolokonnikova and Samutsevich participated in the banned 2011 Gay Pride rally in Moscow, and were briefly detained after the rally was broken up by police.[37] Pussy Riot's LGBT rights advocacy is seen in a negative light by conservative Russians; according to a Levada poll published in 2010, 74% of Russians view homosexuality as a "moral perversion" or "mental illness""

Our god never lies.

LGBT is a secondary topic for them. That's why I said little instead of nothing.

joe00uk

joe00uk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts
  • LocationUK

I wonder how many people in Russia aren't actually homophobic; I'd be genuinely interested to know.

Mashallah

Mashallah

Transgender student

• Members
  • 2,332 posts
  • LocationSerbia

I wonder how many people in Russia aren't actually homophobic; I'd be genuinely interested to know.

Probably about 15%.

joe00uk

joe00uk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts
  • LocationUK

Probably about 15%.

>_< That is just appalling. Hopefully Putin doesn't have too long left, in power or in life. I hear elections are rigged over there, is that true? If it isn't then surely the Russian people can vote for a decent human being next time - we all make mistakes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users