Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

Elon Musk Opens Patents To All

Elon Musk Tesla Motors

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,133 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

This is a potentially world changing move.

http://www.usatoday....-drop/10374433/

Tesla Motors CEO Elon Musk said Thursday that it won't penalize any other company that wants to make products based on its patented technology for long-range electric cars.

Musk said in a blog post that he is taking the action to encourage the auto industry to make more electric cars like Tesla's Model S.

"Tesla will not initiate patent lawsuits against anyone who, in good faith, wants to use our technology," he wrote.

He says that technology leadership has been shown historically not to be driven by patents.

"Technology leadership is not defined by patents, which history has repeatedly shown to be small protection indeed against a determined competitor, but rather by the ability of a company to attract and motivate the world's most talented engineers," he wrote. "We believe that applying the open source philosophy to our patents will strengthen, rather than diminish, Tesla's position in this regard."

He says he is taking the action because major automakers are failing to develop long-range electric cars like Tesla's Model S, which has a maximum EPA-range of 265 miles. Instead, those who have made electric cars have generally limited their range per charge to about 100 miles, which hasn't made them popular with consumers.

He says Tesla had once feared that major automakers could copy its technology and use it to clobber the electric-car start-up with their powerful marketing budgets. But it never happened. Instead, he says the electric car industry needs to be fostered, introducing consumers to more sustainable cars in the face of the world environmental threat.

http://www.teslamoto...-are-belong-you

http://www.forbes.co...good-faith-use/

• EVanimations, Casey, TheAsianGuy_LOL and 1 other like this
Nobody's gonna take my drone, I'm gonna fly miles far too high!
Nobody gonna beat my drone, it's gonna shoot into the sky!

GenX

GenX

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,045 posts
  • LocationSo Cal

Sweet!

The only thing we ever want is more

EVanimations

EVanimations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,446 posts
  • LocationThe Eldritch Beyond

I KNOW ISN'T IT GREAT?

• SkyHize likes this

Paradosi

Paradosi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Shame we don't have more men like Musk in this world, it'd certainly make it a more pleasant place to live in.

• Sciencerocks likes this

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,133 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda
Actually this may prompt a future of open source inventions.

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,730 posts

Watch the big car companies make a similar copy of the model-s within the next few years.

To follow my work on tropical cyclones

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,133 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda
I can't wait.

SkyHize

SkyHize

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Open source is the way.

• Jakob likes this

Mike the average

Mike the average

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts

From his point of view its better to open up the electric market rather than let Hydrogen get a foothold.

'Force always attracts men of low morality' - Einstein
'Great spirits always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds' - Einstein

lechwall

lechwall

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • LocationSunny England

This one of the benefits of being a private vs a publicly listed company in the latter the share holders would never let this happen. Elon Musk is really such a cool guy you can't help but root for him but i feel this could be slightly naive.

"The future will be better tomorrow.  If we do not succeed, then we run the risk of failure.   For NASA, space is still a high priority. The Holocaust was an obscene period in our nation's history. No, not our nation's, but in World War II. I mean, we all lived in this century. I didn't live in this century, but in this century's history. Republicans understand the importance of bondage between a mother and child. We're going to have the best-educated American people in the world."  Dan Quayle

Bradley

Bradley

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

From his point of view its better to open up the electric market rather than let Hydrogen get a foothold.

I think this has a lot of truth to it. 

Cosmic Cat

Cosmic Cat

Hibernating

• Validating
  • 4,345 posts
  • Location-

evil-jew.jpg

EVanimations

EVanimations

• Members
  • 3,446 posts

evil-jew.jpg

I don't get it.

TheAsianGuy_LOL

TheAsianGuy_LOL

What's Up Homies

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts
  • LocationThe Stars of Which to be Settled

Elon Musk is already the most definite "Man of the Future" ;).

evil-jew.jpg

How does this relate to greedy Jews?

"We know Everything, but not Everything"~ Me

"Don't question what I know, question what I don't know."~ Me

"Fear kills more dreams than failure ever will"~Italian UFO

EVanimations

EVanimations

• Members
  • 3,446 posts

Let's make Tesla Technology a global standard! DEATH TO GASOLINE

Ghostreaper

Ghostreaper

Hopelessly optimistic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 640 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands, UK

I reckon this decade will be the most exciting for technology breakthroughs since I was born 26 years ago :D and I am so happy to be experiencing and seeing how it could change the world we live in. Tesla pushes forward electric car technology, Fusion jumps closer to reality, solar roadways are making headway, solar power in general is growing fast, computing is getting faster than the predictions estimate. So exciting!

“If the genius of invention were to reveal to-morrow the secret of immortality, of eternal beauty and youth, for which all humanity is aching, the same inexorable agents which prevent a mass from changing suddenly its velocity would likewise resist the force of the new knowledge until time gradually modifies human thought.” 

Nikola Tesla - New York World, May 19th 1907 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Elon Musk, Tesla Motors

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users