Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

Iraqi Civil War News and Discussions

• Please log in to reply
477 replies to this topic

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,220 posts

In Mosul, Grim Homecomings And A Struggle To Survive In A City Now Free From ISIS

http://www.npr.org/s...-free-from-isis

Extract:

The military plan to retake Mosul, agreed to between Iraq and the U.S., involved encircling ISIS, leaving the fighters no escape route once they were surrounded in the Old City. But it also left no escape for civilians trapped between ISIS gunmen and Iraqi and U.S. airstrikes.

Although the U.S. curtailed airstrikes in the crowded Old City after more than 100 civilians were killed in a March strike on a neighborhood called Jadida, Iraqi airstrikes continued. Mosul residents say dozens of civilians were killed along with each ISIS fighter.

…The Iraqi military does not release casualty figures, but in a speech last week, Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi said the numbers of security forces killed or injured exceeded the number of civilian casualties.

Estimates for the total number of civilians killed during the three-month battle for Mosul range as high as 38,000, the number put forth by some Kurdish leaders, but most Iraqi officials believe the likely figure is 3,000 to 4,000 civilian casualties. More than 1,400 bodies have been recovered so far by civil defense forces.

…One Iraqi army officer said that in his battalion of 800 men, 400 had been killed or wounded. Special forces who have been leading the fight against ISIS for three years are estimated to have lost 40 percent of their troops.

img_3110_slide-e22adf67348a583abb9b9a1fa

Graffiti on a wall in Mosul lists security forces who took back the city.

Jane Arraf/NPR

The principles of justice define an appropriate path between dogmatism and intolerance on the one side, and a reductionism which regards religion and morality as mere preferences on the other.   - John Rawls

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,148 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

Islamic State's last stronghold in northern Iraq falls

Iraqi forces announced on Thursday they had captured Islamic State’s last stronghold in northern Iraq, leaving the militant group holed up near the Syrian border as its self-proclaimed “caliphate” shrinks further.
The town of Hawija and the surrounding areas fell in an offensive by U.S.-backed Iraqi government troops and Iranian-trained and armed Shi‘ite paramilitary groups known as Popular Mobilisation.
Some fighting took place to the north and east of the town where the militants were surrounded.

With the fall of Hawija, which lies near the Kurdish-held oil city of Kirkuk, the only area that remains under control of Islamic State in Iraq is a stretch alongside the western border with Syria, where the militant group is also in retreat.

Nobody's gonna take my drone, I'm gonna fly miles far too high!
Nobody gonna beat my drone, it's gonna shoot into the sky!

caltrek

caltrek

• Members
  • 5,220 posts

^^^You know the headlines are starting to remind me of Japan after World War II.  When asked how they knew they were losing:

The glorious victories of the mighty and invincible Japanese empire kept getting closer and closer to home.

When are we (and the Russians) going to stop playing whack a mole and start work toward a political solution?

The principles of justice define an appropriate path between dogmatism and intolerance on the one side, and a reductionism which regards religion and morality as mere preferences on the other.   - John Rawls

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,148 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

We and the Russians are sorta playing Spy vs. Spy in this case, though. It's the Kurds that are making actual progress.

PhoenixRu

PhoenixRu

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,518 posts
  • LocationRussia

I can't believe nobody still posted this (MarcZ, where are you?):

Baghdad sends military to ‘secure’ Kirkuk from Kurds

According to last report, Iraqis successfully moving forward and already captured the Kirkuk airport... this is the beginning of new war.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

"And the Russian land, let God keep it! Under heavens, there is no other land like this. And although Russian nobles are not righteous neither kind, let God arrange the Russian land and give us enough justice" - Afanasy Nikitin, medieval traveler of XV century.

PhoenixRu

PhoenixRu

• Members
  • 2,518 posts
  • LocationRussia

Small update to previous post. Iraqi campaign turned out surprisingly successfull, they're are already on the outskirts of Kirkuk:

DMQn7JsXkAApT4s.jpg

Detailed.

DMQn8OiWsAE157v.jpg

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

"And the Russian land, let God keep it! Under heavens, there is no other land like this. And although Russian nobles are not righteous neither kind, let God arrange the Russian land and give us enough justice" - Afanasy Nikitin, medieval traveler of XV century.

PhoenixRu

PhoenixRu

• Members
  • 2,518 posts
  • LocationRussia

Sounds incredible, but Iraqi army captured (or liberated?) Kirkuk for LESS THAN A DAY! Fantastic speed for a Middle Eastern war... it was the Iraqi blitzkrieg:

DMQ_RLOXkAAJgT5.jpg

Kurds leaving Kirkuk:

DMQ_SRDWkAAqPSB.jpg

MarcZ

MarcZ

Chief Flying Car Critic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,241 posts
  • LocationCanada

That's because its not really the Iraqi army that is taking control of Kirkuk but a combinde Iraqi force laced with Iranian sponsored militias. In other words Iraq's war is taking on a very sectarian tone. Also Ru I've been watching the developments and was going to post about the fall of TuzKurmatu earlier this weekend but no news sources were really reporting on it so couldn't really confirm what was true other than Twitter posts.

On the other hand what is even more concerning is what is occurring in Syria where the Turks have entered Idlib. It appears to me that the Turks are getting ready to attack the Afrin canton and ethnic cleansing could be a very real possibility there shortly. Kurds are already treating the attack as a declaration of war and these actions will probably serve to consolidate the opinion that there is a forming Ankara-Teheran-Baghdad axis that is forming with the aim of suppressing and crushing the Kurdish population. We will see how the West reacts. Although the U.S. was never in support of having the Kurds having control of Kirkuk.

PhoenixRu

PhoenixRu

• Members
  • 2,518 posts
  • LocationRussia

That's because its not really the Iraqi army that is taking control of Kirkuk but a combinde Iraqi force laced with Iranian sponsored militias.

But anyway, the fall of such a big (about one million people) and valuable city in the very first day of war - is something extraordinary and almost scandalous. As i've read in twitter, Kurds-"barzanists" already blaming Kurds-"talabanists" for treason.

MarcZ

MarcZ

Chief Flying Car Critic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,241 posts
  • LocationCanada

That's because its not really the Iraqi army that is taking control of Kirkuk but a combinde Iraqi force laced with Iranian sponsored militias.

But anyway, the fall for such a big (about one million people) and valuable city in the very first day of war - is something extraordinary and almost scandalous. As i've read in twitter, Kurds-"barzanists" already blaming Kurds-"talabanists" for treason.

Well the Peshmerga basically abandoned the city without putting up a fight. While this may anger many Kurds it is a logical move considering that this could have turned extremely sectarian with the presence of the Shiite militas and many could have been killed. This should avoid major sectarian violence since no point wasting forces where the international community is unlikely to support you anyways. There are already claims by some Iraq Shia partisans that they should attack Erbil. This would not go down well with Kurdistan or the West and don't expect to see any kind of light resistance like in Kirkuk if this happens. The disintegration of Iraq is well underway.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,148 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

Start of a new war just in time for the end of the old one, eh?

ISIS defeated in Raqqa as 'major military operations' declared over

US-backed forces fighting ISIS in Raqqa say "major military operations" in the city have ended and that the jihadists have lost control of their self-declared capital.
The development marks a decisive victory in the fight against ISIS, though US officials said there were still pockets of resistance in the city.
"Major military operations in Raqqa are finished but they are now clearing the city of sleeper cells -- if they exist -- and mines," Talal Salo, spokesman for the US-backed Syrian Democratic Forces, told CNN. The SDF is a coalition of Arab and Kurdish fighters.
"The situation in Raqqa is under control and soon there will be an official statement declaring the liberation of the city."

PhoenixRu

PhoenixRu

• Members
  • 2,518 posts
  • LocationRussia

Historic Kurdish leader Barzani announces resignation as independence vote backfires

Iraqi Kurdish leader Masoud Barzani informed the region’s parliament on Sunday that he would give up his position as president on Nov. 1, after an independence referendum he championed backfired and triggered a regional crisis.

Barzani, who has campaigned for Kurdish self-determination for nearly four decades, asked parliament in a letter to take measures to fill the resulting power vacuum.

“I refuse to continue in the position of president of the region after November 1,” said the letter, which was published by his Kurdistan Democratic Party. “I will continue serving Kurdistan as a Peshmerga”, or Kurdish fighter.

And not just that, but also...

BAGHDAD (Reuters) - Demonstrators, some carrying clubs, stormed the Iraqi Kurdistan parliament building in Erbil on Sunday, angry at the decision of Masoud Barzani to step down from the presidency of the region, witnesses said.

Gunshots were heard as protesters who claimed they were “Peshmerga” Kurdish fighters forced their way inside the building, they said.

PhoenixRu

PhoenixRu

• Members
  • 2,518 posts
  • LocationRussia

Iraqi army captured the strategically important Ibrahim al-Khalil border crossing (between Iraq and Turkey). Since now Iraqi and Syrian Kurds are cut from each other and supply of Syrian Kurds will become more difficult:

19217808.png

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,148 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

ytWDLTi.jpg

An actual passage wrote in ISIS's personal Pravda, Dabiq, a couple years ago.

Fucking slavery-supporting rape-loving wannabe imperialists. This is unspeakably edgy, like what you'd hear from a supervillain. It's one of those things that makes you wonder if ISIS is actually "real" or if they're some manufactured group because no one could seriously be that stupidly evil.

BasilBerylium

BasilBerylium

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • LocationArgentina

no one could seriously be that stupidly evil.

b5f.jpg

• Yuli Ban and caltrek like this

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • 6,750 posts

Suicide car bombing at north Iraq market kills 23
Source: BBC

At least 23 people have been killed and 60 others wounded in a suicide car bomb attack in Iraq, security sources say.

The blast ripped through a crowded fruit and vegetable market in the centre Tuz Khurmatu, about 160km (100 miles) north of Baghdad.
No group said it was behind the attack, but it bore the hallmarks of previous bombings by so-called Islamic State.
Tuz Khurmatu, which has a mixed ethnic Kurdish, Arab and Turkmen population, was the scene of deadly clashes last month when Iraqi pro-government forces retook it from Kurdish Peshmerga fighters.

Read more: http://www.bbc.co.uk...e-east-42071118

To follow my work on tropical cyclones

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,148 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

Iraq is 'totally liberated' from Islamic State: Iraqi armed forces

Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi declared final victory over Islamic State on Saturday after Iraqi forces drove its last remnants from the country, three years after the militant group captured about a third of Iraq’s territory.
The announcement comes two days after the Russian military announced the defeat of the militants in neighboring Syria, where Moscow is backing Syrian government forces.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,148 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

Iraq holds victory parade after defeating Islamic State

An Iraqi military parade in Baghdad’s heavily fortified Green Zone celebrated final victory over Islamic State on Sunday, with Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi looking on as troops marched in formation, their bodies spelling “victory day” in Arabic.
Abadi, who is also commander-in-chief of the armed forces, listened solemnly to Quranic verses from a chapter titled al-Nasr, meaning victory.

Iraqi forces recaptured the last areas still under Islamic State control along the border with Syria on Saturday and secured the western desert, marking the end of the war against the militants three years after they had captured about a third of Iraq’s territory.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users