Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

Iraqi Civil War News and Discussions

• Please log in to reply
477 replies to this topic

MarcZ

MarcZ

Chief Flying Car Critic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,241 posts
  • LocationCanada

Video of all the pissed off Shias coming to be recruited for the fight against ISIS.

EVanimations

EVanimations

• Members
  • 3,446 posts
  • LocationThe Eldritch Beyond

Looks like the walls are really closing in around ISIS. American intervention probably isn't needed at this point, unless there's something I'm missing and they're already involved.

MarcZ

MarcZ

Chief Flying Car Critic

• Members
  • 3,241 posts
  • LocationCanada

Looks like the walls are really closing in around ISIS. American intervention probably isn't needed at this point, unless there's something I'm missing and they're already involved.

Don't think so, as soon as the Sunnis rise against the Shias then the real mayhem is going to begin.

Also America is beginning the process of evacuating its embassy in Iraq (its biggest embassy in the world) and moving them to other areas. In fact there are reports that ISIS is infiltrating the city and may be preparing an Islamic Tet Offensive against the Iraqi government to try to bring it down. This could kill a lot of people. 

http://america.aljaz...explosions.html

MarcZ

MarcZ

Chief Flying Car Critic

• Members
  • 3,241 posts
  • LocationCanada

Plot twist: US and Iran are allies.

No way... they have the temporarily coinciding goals in this particular case, nothing more. Though, the joke of history anyway. The same as modern US-Vietnamese "alliance" against China.

I kid you not... http://news.sky.com/...es-iranian-help

Bradley

Bradley

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

No way... they have the temporarily coinciding goals in this particular case, nothing more. Though, the joke of history anyway. The same as modern US-Vietnamese "alliance" against China.

The US needs to replace our representative democracy with a delegative democracy. Guys like Graham make it all too clear that representative democracy is no longer the superior form of government. 

tierbook

tierbook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationCharleston sc

The US needs to replace our representative democracy with a delegative democracy. Guys like Graham make it all too clear that representative democracy is no longer the superior form of government. 

As long as it keeps troops off the ground i could care less.

Futurist

Futurist

Aspiring cross-dresser

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,673 posts
  • LocationSouthern California, United States of America, Planet Earth

@MarcZ: Out of curiosity, do you think that ISIS would have still been as successful in Iraq (right now) if the U.S. had kept, say, 10,000 troops in Iraq after 2011 (up to right now)?

No. But if Maliki hadn't behaved like an idiot there wouldn't have been this problem either. Anyways there are claims that ISIS has massacred nearly 1700 people in the last few days in Iraq in one city alone. 

That info about the massacre is atrocious! Honestly, I wonder if the best move here might be for the Iraqi Sunnis to fight against ISIS (similarly to what they did in 2007-2008 with the Sunni Awakening) and then to try declaring independence if the Iraqi Shiites are unwilling to give them more power and influence in Iraq.

Futurist

Futurist

Aspiring cross-dresser

• Members
  • 5,673 posts

I wonder if Iran will send troops to Iraq in order to try to restore order there and to try maintaining its influence in Iraq?

Guyverman1990

Guyverman1990

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts

I wonder if this will be the final nail in the coffin for the Iraqi state's existence.

MarcZ

MarcZ

Chief Flying Car Critic

• Members
  • 3,241 posts
  • LocationCanada

BREAKING: U.S. TO OPEN OFFICIAL LINE OF COMMUNICATION WITH IRAN OVER IRAQ CRISIS

Good for relations, I suppose.

http://rt.com/news/1...ran-talks-iraq/

• EVanimations, Yuli Ban and Futurist like this

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • 6,730 posts

I think the sunnies should get half and the shites should get the other. There's no working together.

To follow my work on tropical cyclones

Futurist

Futurist

Aspiring cross-dresser

• Members
  • 5,673 posts

I think the sunnies should get half and the shites should get the other. There's no working together.

You forgot about the Kurds.

Ryan94

Ryan94

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts

It would be fun if the Pope suddenly decided to call a crusade.

This...
You know, its interesting that there are always Muslim priests that are calling for jihads.
And clearly you know this how? What a fucking idiot.

And the Pope doesn't have the divine right to call a crusade, so he couldn't call a crusade even if he wanted to. The popes of the past called crusades as a result of having too much power.
The Bible has never permitted crusades, which is just as well because they've lost enough times already.

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • 6,509 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Petty human squabbles, is what they are.

What are you without the sum of your parts?

Bradley

Bradley

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

BREAKING: U.S. TO OPEN OFFICIAL LINE OF COMMUNICATION WITH IRAN OVER IRAQ CRISIS

Good for relations, I suppose.

http://rt.com/news/1...ran-talks-iraq/

It will certainly be good for average Americans. It will help us understand that Iranians aren't the devil and that government bureaucrats are really bad at foreign policy: bureaucrats are bad at foreign policy because the issues are far too complex for individuals and small groups to solve. 

Americans have gone from 'Saddam is a bad guy' to 'Islam is a bad guy'. Everyone cheered when Saddam was killed. Then things went to shit so Americans started blaming Islam in general and said things like "bomb the whole damn middle east". And that "kill em all, let god sort em out" mindset is present even in this futurist forum. 

I suspect Americans will be fairly put off by the two faced foreign policy regarding Iran. As we realize our representatives are in over their heads, and always have been, we will start to rein them in. Actually, we've already started reining them in. I suspect we will start to really clamp down hard on them. 

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,133 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

It would be fun if the Pope suddenly decided to call a crusade.

This...
You know, its interesting that there are always Muslim priests that are calling for jihads.
And clearly you know this how? What a fucking idiot.

And the Pope doesn't have the divine right to call a crusade, so he couldn't call a crusade even if he wanted to. The popes of the past called crusades as a result of having too much power.
The Bible has never permitted crusades, which is just as well because they've lost enough times already.

By... googling instances of radicals calling for jihads? 

I admit that it would be the equivalent of Pat Robertson calling for a crusade, but it happens. Don't play the role of White American Liberal, bro.

Two, I can't see Francis calling for a crusade. The whole reason for the crusades in the first place was because the Pope had so many blind followers who knew nothing else but what their priests told them.  It was a different time back then. Actually, it's not all unlike what parts of the Middle East are like today, especially since they've been in a constant state of war for decades.  If the Pope came out and said that the faithful have to protect the Holy Land, I wouldn't be surprised if several million or so actually did listen (I'd be surprised if they didn't), but you can expect boatloads of controversy. 

Nobody's gonna take my drone, I'm gonna fly miles far too high!
Nobody gonna beat my drone, it's gonna shoot into the sky!

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,133 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

What's also funny is that this will only turn more people against the radicals. This showing off of violence. Bragging about cutting off people's heads. Yeah, you can bet that Christians are going to act smug and say, "See how civilized we are compared to those savages?" [Shat ap, you'd be doing this too, and historically have]

But I thank the existence of mass communication and the Internet during times like this. Now we can all see inhumanity dead on. 

To those that want us to fail: you want this across the whole world?

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • 6,730 posts

What's also funny is that this will only turn more people against the radicals. This showing off of violence. Bragging about cutting off people's heads. Yeah, you can bet that Christians are going to act smug and say, "See how civilized we are compared to those savages?" [Shat ap, you'd be doing this too, and historically have]

But I thank the existence of mass communication and the Internet during times like this. Now we can all see inhumanity dead on. 

To those that want us to fail: you want this across the whole world?

This is why groups like ISIS need to be removed quickly from this planet. They cause nothing but suffering, like the nazi's.

To follow my work on tropical cyclones

tierbook

tierbook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationCharleston sc

If the US does end up going in with Iran to take on ISIS won't that just make other Sunni's think there is a war against them. Seems like it would just validate the ISIS and turn a lot of people to their side.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Nadsat Brat

• Moderators
  • 17,133 posts
  • LocationAnur Margidda

BREAKING: Obama Is Sending 275 US Troops To Iraq

President Barack Obama is sending 275 U.S. troops to Iraq to "provide support and security for U.S. personnel and the U.S. Embassy in Baghdad" in the wake of territorial gains made by the jihadist group Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIS).

Obama announced the decision in a letter Monday sent to Speaker of the House John Boehner and President Pro Tempore of the Senate Patrick Leahy in which he notified them of the deployment as required by the War Powers Resolution.

"Starting on June 15, 2014, up to approximately 275 U.S. Armed Forces personnel are deploying to Iraq to provide support and security for U.S. personnel and the U.S. Embassy in Baghdad," wrote Obama. "This force is deploying for the purpose of protecting U.S. citizens and property, if necessary, and is equipped for combat. This force will remain in Iraq until the security situation becomes such that it is no longer needed." 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users