Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

How advanced do you hope the world will be when you are old?

• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

bee14ish

bee14ish

Psionic Reality-Warping God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  • LocationEarth

Growing up on science fiction I was expecting the world to be far more like science fiction by now. I mean sure, The Internet, computers, smartphones, life like video games, electric cars, flat screen monitors, are all cool and high tech. But I was wondering what do you hope to see in your life time in terms of inventions?

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,721 posts

I hope

1. Religions like Islam will be moderating and disappearing.

2. We can get to space for 5 million dollars; grasshopper tech, space plane, etc.

3. Robots that can do most of the stuff in your home. Probably separate customized and still expensive. The super rich will have them.

4. A cure for cancer

5. Bio-printed organs. Like hearts, kidney, liver, etc.

6. Brain control of things

7. a few million cars that don't need a driver

8. 1/3rd of our energy needs done without fossil fuels. Nuclear, solar, fusion, wind, etc.

9. 3-d printing will advance to making homes in a few days.

10. A market place will open up for 3-d printing to print most things in the comfort of your homes.

11. Drones will transport small items to your home.

12. Solar sail missions to mars

13. 5 more elements discovered. Possibly a stable one that can help us build stronger.

14. Electric cars will be able to go 600 miles on a single charge.

15. Vertical farms in at least a dozen cities.

16. More understanding of dark matter and energy.

17. 50% of farming will be done by robot.

18. 1/3rds of the first world population will have a grass cutting or carpet cleaning robot.

19. A skycrapper a mile high will be constructed.

20. Most education will be done on the internet.

To follow my work on tropical cyclones

Unity

Unity

Information Organism

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,442 posts
Advanced to the point where there is some kind of technological telepathy. I would like to communicate memory, experience, and feels with others. Especially those key events that help shape your person.

Jakob

Jakob

Fenny-Eyed Slubber-Yuck

• Members
  • 5,224 posts
  • LocationIn the Basket of Deplorables

My lifetime (and probably the lifetimes of most of the other people on this forum) will probably last centuries due to reverse-aging technology. It's a little hard to say what will happen that far in the future.

Click 'show' to see quotes from great luminaries.

Spoiler

KaRdAsHeV~sCaLe

KaRdAsHeV~sCaLe

0.72 on the Kardashev scale and slowly getting more advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in this universe
When I'm old I want the technological singularity to be reached.

Counting down the days until 2050: 12,499 Humanity = 0.72 on the Kardashev scale
Counting down the days until 2100: 30,761
Counting down the days until 3000: 359,479

Lily

Lily

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts
  • LocationBerlin

Enough to make me young

+1

Quoted for truth, I hope. ;)

"All scientific advancement due to intellegence overcoming, compensating, for limitations. Can't carry a load, so invent wheel. Can't catch food, so invent spear. Limitations. No limitations, no advancement. No advancement, culture stagnates. Works other way too. Advancement before culture is ready. Disastrous."

There's definitely truth in that...

TreeHandThing

TreeHandThing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts
Stop with the "more elements discovered" nonsense! The materials of the future will be based on elements below 99, not above! Adding more protons doesn't make an element stronger. It makes it more radioactive.

The strongest materials now are carbon-based (carbon nanotubes, diamonds, etc). Carbon is element number 6.

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • 6,721 posts

Stop with the "more elements discovered" nonsense! The materials of the future will be based on elements below 99, not above! Adding more protons doesn't make an element stronger. It makes it more radioactive.

The strongest materials now are carbon-based (carbon nanotubes, diamonds, etc). Carbon is element number 6.

Oh'please, do you know there's an island of stability after 120 predicted? Please do some research before you call someones post nonsense. I do realize there's a lot of discovery to be made with sub-100 elements.

TreeHandThing

TreeHandThing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts
Wow, you've just made even more of an idiot of yourself.

Island of stability: elements have half-lifes of minutes or days as opposed to milliseconds or seconds. They are still unusable as construction materials.

Maybe YOU should do your research.

Jakob

Jakob

Fenny-Eyed Slubber-Yuck

• Members
  • 5,224 posts

Island of stability: elements have half-lifes of minutes or days as opposed to milliseconds or seconds. They are still unusable as construction materials.

There are those who say they will last longer. Admittedly, such people are optomists.[1]

Spoiler

Cosmic Cat

Cosmic Cat

Hibernating

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,345 posts
  • Location-

wrong thread, "you've just made even more of an idiot of yourself"

TreeHandThing

TreeHandThing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts
Actually I was replying to Matthew's first post, where he claimed that he wanted to see:

"5 more elements discovered. Possibly a stable one that can help us build stronger."

Thus, he is referring to using trans-uranic elements as construction materials. Maybe if you read earlier posts you would see this.

Having half-lives of thousands or even millions of years (so says the optimists, not the majority) still makes them unsuitable for construction. Uranium is far more weakly radioactive than that, with U-238 having a half life of billions of years. We don't use uranium as a construction material.

Cosmic Cat

Cosmic Cat

Hibernating

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,345 posts
  • Location-

Actually I was replying to Matthew's first post, where he claimed that he wanted to see:

"5 more elements discovered. Possibly a stable one that can help us build stronger."

Thus, he is referring to using trans-uranic elements as construction materials. Maybe if you read earlier posts you would see this.

Having half-lives of thousands or even millions of years (so says the optimists, not the majority) still makes them unsuitable for construction. Uranium is far more weakly radioactive than that, with U-238 having a half life of billions of years. We don't use uranium as a construction material.

Oh wow, I didn't see that. I have to apologize then.

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • 6,721 posts

Who's to say we won't see 5 more? Who knows how long they will last. We won't know until we find them and experiment with them.

Is this why you call my post nonesense? Not very open minded.

TreeHandThing

TreeHandThing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts
I didn't say that we wouldn't see 5 more. I said that we won't use them as construction materials.

We can TOTALLY theorize properties of elements that we haven't discovered. http://en.m.wikipedi..._periodic_table

TheAsianGuy_LOL

TheAsianGuy_LOL

What's Up Homies

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts
  • LocationThe Stars of Which to be Settled

I don't think he meant 5 new elements with those high isotopes. a new element of lower or in between isotopes would be a nice discovery, considering the fact it hasn't change for quite a while. 

"We know Everything, but not Everything"~ Me

"Don't question what I know, question what I don't know."~ Me

"Fear kills more dreams than failure ever will"~Italian UFO

TreeHandThing

TreeHandThing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts
Heavy elements need a large amount of neutrons in order to hold the protons together. They need to be isotopes.

I don't know what you mean by "lower or in-between isotopes". Explain.

Jakob

Jakob

Fenny-Eyed Slubber-Yuck

• Members
  • 5,224 posts

I don't think he meant 5 new elements with those high isotopes. a new element of lower or in between isotopes would be a nice discovery, considering the fact it hasn't change for quite a while. 

This doesn't make sense. Atomic number is the number of protons and atoms with 1-118 protons have all been observed.  Of course, there is still the possibility of making exotic atoms (e.g. muonic helium) or discovering new isotopes (frankly, though, I'm not sure why we have all these isotopes). But I doubt that you can build anything with these.

Spoiler

PrimordialBeing

PrimordialBeing

Why are you bothering to look at this? Go read my post.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,468 posts
I think we'll be advanced enough for old age to not be a problem.
"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for life" -Terry Pratchett
"And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you"-Friedrich Nietzsche
"The biggest risk is not taking any risk.. In a world that is changing quickly, the only strategy that is guaranteed to fail is not taking risks* - Mark Zuckerberg

Jakob

Jakob

Fenny-Eyed Slubber-Yuck

• Members
  • 5,224 posts

I think we'll be advanced enough for old age to not be a problem.

I said that above.

Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users