Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

Timeline of driverless cars

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

FutureGuy

FutureGuy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts

autonomous_driverless_car_infographic_pr

KaRdAsHeV~sCaLe

KaRdAsHeV~sCaLe

0.72 on the Kardashev scale and slowly getting more advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in this universe
This might seem like a stupid question but once cars reach level 4, would you need a driver's license?

Counting down the days until 2050: 12,499 Humanity = 0.72 on the Kardashev scale
Counting down the days until 2100: 30,761
Counting down the days until 3000: 359,479

FutureGuy

FutureGuy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts

"Occupants don't need the ability to drive"

I'd say that would mean no. Actually, at some point, it's possible that driverless cars won't even allow human driving anymore, IMO.

FutureOfToday

FutureOfToday

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,685 posts
I'm afraid to say that this conversation with my best friend just happened.
jph0ep.jpg
I cannot convince her that driverless cars will be safe. -.-

four

four

Moon Princess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • LocationThe Universe.

By 2040 human-driven cars will probably be illegal in some countries. Already, with the early prototype technology, driverless cars are much safer.

My collection of quotes
Spoiler

Bradley

Bradley

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

I'm afraid to say that this conversation with my best friend just happened.
jph0ep.jpg

I converted my brother. Whenever we drive somewhere I point to a jackass and say, "a robot wouldn't drive like that". Or, when a semi-truck blows past us I say, "Isn't the speed limit for trucks 55? A robot would obey the speed limit." 

Now, he's pretty open to autonomous cars. He just thinks I'm too optimistic on timeframe (I say 2020). 

FutureGuy

FutureGuy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Well, there's some fairly convincing statistics coming from driverless prototypes, like, for instance, a crapload of miles driven flawlessly. No accidents, no anything, perfect driving for hundreds of miles.

Bradley

Bradley

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

By 2040 human-driven cars will probably be illegal in some countries. Already, with the early prototype technology, driverless cars are much safer.

It is possible that manual cars will cease to exist as a matter of free market economics rather than legislation. I don't know what the autonomous car model will look like, but it may be so powerful from a service and comfort perspective that people could abandon their manual cars. 

My car spends most of its time idle. It's either in the garage or in the parking lot at work. I fill it up at the gas station. I pay for insurance. If it gets damaged, I pay for repairs. When I want a car with a different design for a different trip, I'm stuck with my car. I also have 150 square feet of residential real estate allotted to my car rather than some a pool table or some other use of floor space. Also, I don't really enjoy finding parking spaces. 

Driverless cars may be such a better value that we just give manual cars up by our own volition. 

rennerpetey

rennerpetey

To infinity, and beyond

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationLost in the Delta Quadrant

Now, he's pretty open to autonomous cars. He just thinks I'm too optimistic on timeframe (I say 2020). 

wow, and now even 2020 looks like a pessimistic viewpoint for consumer driverless cars.

• Casey likes this

Pope Francis said that atheists are still eligible to go to heaven, to return the favor, atheists said that popes are still eligible to go into a void of nothingness.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users