Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

These ads will disappear if you register on the forum

Photo

Italians evacuate Rome over 'big one' fears

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Time_Traveller

Time_Traveller

Master of Time Travel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,064 posts
  • LocationRepublic of Jordan, 1 January 3025 C.E.

Italians were fleeing Rome yesterday over fears a giant earthquake is coming following a seismologist's 1915 prediction that "the big one" will strike today.

From www.telegraph.co.uk

I'm not sure if there is a Earthquake in Rome today, What do members think?
I want to go ahead of Father Time with a scythe of my own.

H. G. Wells

Caiman

Caiman

Administratus Extremus

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts
  • LocationManchester, England
I think it's ridiculous. You can't predict Earthquakes.
~Jon

OrbitalResonance

OrbitalResonance

Cosmic Emperor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts
  • LocationDeep Space
It all sucks :/ Bad science

We make our world significant by the courage of our questions and the depth of our answers. - Carl Sagan

Andy

Andy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom
Meanwhile in Spain: http://www.bbc.co.uk...europe-13368599

At least 10 people were killed after a magnitude-5.2 earthquake toppled several buildings in southern Spain near the town of Lorca, officials say.

Unrelated really, but an interesting coincidence. I'm wondering what the reaction from Rome is going to be, if they feel the need to speculate further on the subject.
For everyone's sake, watch this video

OrbitalResonance

OrbitalResonance

Cosmic Emperor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts
  • LocationDeep Space
He predicted the Wrong Country.. :p Earthquakes are a result of underground structures breaking as a result of stress. This is due to the fact that plates shift around on the mantle. Not very predictible, i doubt we would be able to accurately predict earthquakes for a hundered years if ever. We would need to be able to analyze and map stresses in rock formations kilometers below the ground.

We make our world significant by the courage of our questions and the depth of our answers. - Carl Sagan

Guest_facer rimerva_*

Guest_facer rimerva_*
  • Guests
lol it was the Biggest joke ever! I told to my mates back in Rome that until the colussuem will be up, the world will stay up!

Azevo

Azevo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
Not to long after the 2nd Christchurch earthquake some guy said there will be another massive one, worse than the last two big ones on I think it was the 20th of March, caused some people to flee. Naturally, it didn't happen and then he said "I only said it MAY happen", when previously he said it would. I think the internet has made fear-mongering far to easy for some, Above Top Secret is the prime example, lots of predictions without any backing almost everyday, yet the predictions always come wrong.

atoblade

atoblade

Time Lord

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
I did see this in the news, saddens me to think people in 2011 have such little knowledge about global tectonic forces and are generally concerned for their safety from a 1915 prediction based on the idea planetary orbits could control earthquakes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users