Ukraine War Watch Thread

ibm9000

Re: Ukraine War Watch Thread

Post by ibm9000 »

About the currently active new front:

Kharkiv regional head Oleh Syniehubov said Russian reconnaissance groups had tried to penetrate the border, adding that "not a single metre has been lost".
What is the point of "not a single meter lost"? A Hitler's directive?
ibm9000

Post by ibm9000 »

"Soviet-era arms storage bases are one of the primary sources that still allow the Russian armed forces to fight despite massive losses on the battlefield."

As long as we don't forget the Ukrainian vast stores...
firestar464

Post by firestar464 »

"the inability of people to hold more than one truth in their heads has caused the enshittification of society"

- honest government ad (a youtube channel, not an actual govt ad)
ibm9000 wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 10:57 am About the currently active new front:

Kharkiv regional head Oleh Syniehubov said Russian reconnaissance groups had tried to penetrate the border, adding that "not a single metre has been lost".
It's a claim that the border is secure. How is Adolf relevant here?
raklian

Post by raklian »

ibm9000 wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 10:57 am About the currently active new front:

That was in bad taste, man. What's the point mentioning Hitler in this context? :(
To know is essentially the same as not knowing. The only thing that occurs is the rearrangement of atoms in your brain.
ibm9000

Post by ibm9000 »

Bad taste? Some facts in History are of bad taste? Is it better to pretend they don't exist then?
I'll try something older: "He who tries to hold to everything will end holding nothing".

The points are:
First, the claim is a falsehood, propaganda, a bunch of lies, official statements... We could see maps with 5 villages taken/captured. Today, Russia is claiming 4 more. Same story, propaganda, lies... until actual information provided.
Second, that "Regional head" seems to have no idea what he is talking about. He was told to say that? He was "creative on his own? A rigid defence does not work and is expensive, sometimes leading to disaster.
And Hitler, the best of the Allies generals, was fond of that.

("More than one truth" like in "doublethink"?)
firestar464

Post by firestar464 »

I'll try something older: "He who tries to hold to everything will end holding nothing".
Are you suggesting that it is unnatural for a party to a conflict to attempt to hold territory they control? If so, then that would be absurd.

The ISW, based on a preponderance of evidence, has documented the seizure of 4 border villages. I don't deny that. Of course, officials on both sides of the conflict are going to make exaggerated claims, with Ukraine understating the extent of Russian advances and Russia and Russian milibloggers doing the opposite.

I tried to research Adolf and rigid defenses and read about the Defense of the Reich campaign. However, that was an aerial defense campaign, and can't translate to assumptions about ground warfare. From what I understand, the effectiveness of rigid defenses varies based on the situation. Regardless, it would have been nice if you had clarified what you were referring to when you mentioned Adolf. That could have saved us needless speculation regarding the message you were trying to convey.
I was referring to the fact that both sides can struggle with equipment issues in response to your framing of Russian and Ukrainian equipment shortages as mutually exclusive.
Time_Traveller

Post by Time_Traveller »

Ukraine in 'difficult situation' as Russian troops claim four more villages
Sunday 12 May 2024 18:07, UK

Russia claims its troops have seized control of four more Ukrainian villages as intense fighting continues in the Kharkiv region.

Ukraine's military chief said on Sunday its forces are doing all they can to hold the line in Kharkiv - with Moscow claiming another five villages on Saturday - but they are facing a "difficult situation".

Russia's surprise assault on the Kharkiv region began on Friday, threatening to open up a new front and stretch Ukraine's already-outgunned and outmanned forces.

"Units of the defence forces are fighting fierce defensive battles, the attempts of the Russian invaders to break through our defences have been stopped," Oleksandr Syrskyi said.

"The situation is difficult, but the defence forces of Ukraine are doing everything to hold defensive lines and positions, (and) inflict damage on the enemy."
https://news.sky.com/story/ukraine-in-d ... s-13134481
"We all have our time machines, don't we. Those that take us back are memories...And those that carry us forward, are dreams."

-H.G Wells.
ibm9000

Post by ibm9000 »

firestar464 wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 3:55 pm
Are you suggesting that it is unnatural for a party to a conflict to attempt to hold territory they control? If so, then that would be absurd.
The ISW, based on a preponderance of evidence, has documented the seizure of 4 border villages. I don't deny that. Of course, officials on both sides of the conflict are going to make exaggerated claims, with Ukraine understating the extent of Russian advances and Russia and Russian milibloggers doing the opposite.
I tried to research Adolf and rigid defenses and read about the Defense of the Reich campaign. However, that was an aerial defense campaign, and can't translate to assumptions about ground warfare. From what I understand, the effectiveness of rigid defenses varies based on the situation. Regardless, it would have been nice if you had clarified what you were referring to when you mentioned Adolf. That could have saved us needless speculation regarding the message you were trying to convey.
I was referring to the fact that both sides can struggle with equipment issues in response to your framing of Russian and Ukrainian equipment shortages as mutually exclusive.
The first quote is not mine, so I don't suggest.
I affirm that the "hold to everything" is a bad decision that usually leads to even worse results.
ISW is one source, a biased one. This is another one:
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mi ... 212814&z=7
The more sources, the foggier, until after the war. If Reuters is reporting what Ukraine claims, that is not a source, it's Ukrainian propaganda.

Obviously, we read different books. For me, the first one was the winter 41-42, it was terrible, but we don't know if it would had been better or worse. It was better in the Mius river.

"It would have been nice if you had clarified what you were referring to when you mentioned xyz. That could have saved us needless speculation regarding the message you were trying to convey."
About "More than one truth"? Yes.

There is a lot of reporting about damages to the Russian refinery capacity, it is at 85%. Ukrainian capacity is at 0%, Ukraine's economy has not collapsed. Some context, comparing what is going on on the other side of the hill is useful.
firestar464

Post by firestar464 »

Now you have shown me a user-generated map made by some anonymous "truther," which is even less reliable than the ISW. I'm frankly unsure if you've actually read the ISW report in question- it stated that their mapping of the seizure of villages was based on admissions by Ukrainian sources. Any other claims by milibloggers are noted, but not taken at face value.

https://www.understandingwar.org/backgr ... ay-10-2024
"It would have been nice if you had clarified what you were referring to when you mentioned xyz. That could have saved us needless speculation regarding the message you were trying to convey."
I was referring to your talk of Adolf with that line. You seem to erroneously connect the first line and "more than one truth." Also, why are you talking about refineries? We were talking about weapons stockpiles.
ibm9000

Post by ibm9000 »

firestar464 wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 3:56 pm Now you have shown me a user-generated map made by some anonymous "truther," which is even less reliable than the ISW. I'm frankly unsure if you've actually read the ISW report in question- it stated that their mapping of the seizure of villages was based on admissions by Ukrainian sources. Any other claims by milibloggers are noted, but not taken at face value.
https://www.understandingwar.org/backgr ... ay-10-2024
I was referring to your talk of Adolf with that line. You seem to erroneously connect the first line and "more than one truth." Also, why are you talking about refineries? We were talking about weapons stockpiles.
Yes, it was perfectly clear what you were referring to.

Yes, ISW is as reliable as Ukrainian admissions.

Yes, we are talking about figures for one side (and conclusions) but not for the other side (of the hill).