Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Community Status Updates

Photo
  • SeedNotYetSprouted's Photo
    SeedNotYetSprouted
    Check the Robots and AI video thread.
    Sep 28 2020 05:41 PM
Photo
  • starspawn0's Photo
    starspawn0
    One can also make everything adaptive, so that if you don't like the image it generates, the BCI can detect Error-Related-Fields associated with your disappointment, and then made immediate corrections, until you are satisfied. This might all happen in just seconds.
    Sep 26 2020 06:38 PM
  • TheAughat's Photo
    TheAughat
    I see. I guess then in the shorter term, animators will still use this for video production, but most people wont. Animators will use image production to aid with video, since after all, thinking up thousands of images will be easier, faster, and more efficient than drawing them out. As AI is also advancing on the side, combined with brain data input, frame interpolation could also get much better, further easing out the pipeline of video production. So animators and people with more patience...
    Sep 26 2020 10:45 PM
  • TheAughat's Photo
    TheAughat
    I wonder how much controversy the usage of this tech will create for artists who are already well established--like popular manga artists. People already perceive tech-based upgrades as "bad" and "unnatural". It is no secret how badly people perceive singers who use autotune, calling them fakes and saying they're not real artists. There will probably be simultaneous pushback against this software, while widespread adoption of it also occurs. Interesting times up ahead.
    Sep 26 2020 10:46 PM
Photo

Yuli Ban

We've gotten three new tropical storms today; we've now exhausted the 2020 Atlantic Hurricane names and have to use the Greek alphabet for names
Sep 19 2020 01:04 AM
Photo

Yuli Ban

The discovery of phosphine in Venus's atmosphere is, by some measurable distance, the single best sign of alien life we've ever seen. The only reason excitement has to be tempered down to "it MIGHT be life" is because we can't know 100% that it is until we go there and check it out ourselves. But before the present, if you asked astrobiologists about what would be the definitive signs of simple life besides holding a beaker of ET microbes, detection of phosphine would be s...
Sep 14 2020 11:06 PM
  • TranscendingGod's Photo
    TranscendingGod
    Knowing that other life exists in the universe is a point of discontinuity for our society. It should or shall completely change the mindset of every person on this planet.
    Sep 15 2020 03:56 AM
  • Cyber_Rebel's Photo
    Cyber_Rebel
    Didn't old science fiction authors use to write about life within the clouds of Venus? Pretty fitting considering. At least this will prove we definitely aren't the only sad excuse out there, as even small traces of life within our own back yard means a universe full of life on the whole.
    Sep 15 2020 05:40 AM
  • wjfox's Photo
    wjfox
    Let's remember that Venus may once have looked like this, so these microbes (if they exist) could be a leftover remnant of ancient life:
    https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2016/nasa-climate-modeling-suggests-venus-may-have-been-habitable
    Sep 15 2020 02:05 PM
Photo

Yuli Ban

What the hell?? http://astrobiology.com/2020/09/phosphine-detected-in-the-atmosphere-of-venus---an-indicator-of-possible-life.html Is Venus seriously going to beat Mars and Europa to the punch as the source of the first ever detection of extraterrestrial life?
Sep 14 2020 04:26 AM
  • Erowind's Photo
    Erowind
    That would make 2020 feel a lot better
    Sep 14 2020 06:29 AM
  • Raklian's Photo
    Raklian
    Maybe the Pioneer and Venera missions started life there by bacteria accidentally hijacking a ride there. O_o
    Sep 14 2020 03:28 PM
  • Maximus's Photo
    Maximus
    ^Well in that case, if we took were to retrieve a sample, we could compare see if the DNA matches any microbe found on Earth. The probe would need an onboard sequencer though, since we don't want to risk contaminating Earth.
    Sep 14 2020 04:36 PM
Photo

Yuli Ban

I wonder if GPT-3 can be used to create a proper MUD. I know AI Dungeon 2 has the capability.
Sep 03 2020 02:59 PM
Photo

Yuli Ban

Hurricane Laura's likely to become a category 5. I live about two hundred miles away and I'm STILL uneasy.
Aug 26 2020 06:45 PM
  • Raklian's Photo
    Raklian
    It's a damned good thing only one system of the two became a hurricane.
    Aug 26 2020 09:19 PM
  • Yuli Ban's Photo
    Yuli Ban
    Actually, Marco became a hurricane too. It just got eviscerated by sheer.
    Aug 26 2020 10:02 PM
  • Yuli Ban's Photo
    Yuli Ban
    Blah, I meant shear.
    @TG: The wind shear that murdered Marco would do absolutely nothing to Laura now. The only thing that's going to weaken it is land interaction.
    Aug 27 2020 12:58 AM
Photo

Yuli Ban

We're about to get 2 (TWO) hurricanes making landfall on the same day next week here in LA
Aug 21 2020 09:33 PM
  • Raklian's Photo
    Raklian
    Just a normal day in a global warmed world.
    Aug 21 2020 10:07 PM
Photo

Yuli Ban

Probably the closest and scariest video of the Beirut explosion yet barring anything literally right next to it. Also goes to show that, while being kiloton-tier, it definitely wasn't a nuke as the cameramen survived: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaDsvmWggug
Aug 20 2020 05:19 PM
  • Yuli Ban's Photo
    Yuli Ban
    If it was a nuke as conspiracy theorists keep saying (even an underground nuke), they'd have been vaporized by million-degree heat
    Aug 20 2020 05:20 PM
Photo

Yuli Ban

Just discovered that Jeff Bezos' net worth is nearly $200 billion. That's approaching even Putin's (hypothetical) wealth. It's damn likely Bezos will be the first trillionaire.
Aug 13 2020 08:19 AM
  • TranscendingGod's Photo
    TranscendingGod
    Yeah, I agree that Musk might beat Bezos to the punch. Tesla is still nascent and if SpaceX were to ever go public it'd probably propel Musk to the stratosphere.
    Aug 13 2020 02:26 PM
  • Raklian's Photo
    Raklian
    Yeah, I agree. Also, we must assume Bernie Sanders won't achieve his tax proposal which involves taking a chuck out of the richest Americans' net worth.
    Aug 13 2020 04:15 PM
  • Erowind's Photo
    Erowind
    Microsoft committed tax fraud then changed the law in order to not pay https://www.propublica.org/article/the-irs-decided-to-get-tough-against-microsoft-microsoft-got-tougher
    Aug 13 2020 08:57 PM
Photo

Yuli Ban

Lebanon is falling apart
Aug 11 2020 06:35 AM
Photo

Yuli Ban

Yikes. Yield estimates on the Beirut nitrate explosion are as high as 1.3 kilotons. For comparison, Tianjin was about 21 tons. That's the difference between a tactical nuke vs a MOAB.
Aug 05 2020 06:24 AM
  • wjfox's Photo
    wjfox
    According to one estimate, the explosion had a TNT equivalent of 3kt. For comparison, Hiroshima had a yield of 15kt.
    Aug 05 2020 07:17 AM
  • wjfox's Photo
    wjfox
    Tianjin was 336 tons TNT equivalent for the actual explosion, 21 tons for the seismic shockwave produced.
    (source: Wikipedia)
    Aug 05 2020 07:18 AM
  • Outlook's Photo
    Outlook
    Thank god Beirut is largely made of of stone and concrete and not wood.
    Aug 05 2020 10:56 AM
Photo

Yuli Ban

Herman Cain's died of COVID-19
Jul 30 2020 02:48 PM
  • wjfox's Photo
    wjfox
    https://i.imgur.com/YMTAhhU.jpg
    Jul 30 2020 02:56 PM
  • starspawn0's Photo
    starspawn0
    Cain was too minor of a player, and had been sidelined for years following the election, for Trump to have seen his death as a threat to him personally. More likely, the bad economic news (GDP fell nearly 33% last quarter) is to blame.
    Jul 30 2020 03:36 PM
Photo

Yuli Ban

When I think of a general purpose AI, I simply can't think of it as a human level intelligence anymore unless explicitly stated. General AI in my head now sounds similar to a general purpose Turing complete computer (i.e. any post-1947 digital computer): an AI that simply handles multiple tasks in multiple areas. An extremely complicated tool, but not necessarily anything more. Indeed, after reflecting on GPT-3, I can see developing a weak AGI being possible in the next couple of years, a...
Jul 22 2020 05:54 AM
  • Raklian's Photo
    Raklian
    ^ The human brain is only capable of perceiving a limited set of geometric shapes and planes, or whatnot. Consciousness in a higher dimension can mean a geometric shape we can't make sense of.
    Jul 22 2020 12:50 PM
  • Raklian's Photo
    Raklian
    While we can't make sense of it, we're still perceiving it somehow, hence the struggle to describe or explain it.
    Jul 22 2020 12:52 PM
  • Raklian's Photo
    Raklian
    This partially explains why each one of us has its own discrete experience of consciousness. The lower dimensions give us a way to experience a higher dimension from different perspectives.
    Jul 22 2020 01:02 PM
Photo

Yuli Ban

A Request For Literary Style Transfer: When will we see the first stylistic editor? https://www.reddit.com/r/MediaSynthesis/comments/htvwwf/a_request_for_literary_style_transfer_when_will/
Jul 19 2020 06:35 AM