Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

South Aral Sea completely drying up in 2019?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

four

four

Moon Princess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • LocationThe Universe.
The timeline suggests the South Aral will be gone by 2019. This directly contradicts the well-sourced information on Wikipedia that the sea level will remain at a stable equilibrium due to groundwater seepage in the Western lobe preventing the lake from completely evaporating.

Which is correct?
My collection of quotes
Spoiler

TheAsianGuy_LOL

TheAsianGuy_LOL

What's Up Homies

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts
  • LocationThe Stars of Which to be Settled

It think FTL's since that's more recent study than Wikipedia earlier studies which may not have been updated yet (well it said it was last updated on July 12, 2014).

"We know Everything, but not Everything"~ Me

"Don't question what I know, question what I don't know."~ Me

"Fear kills more dreams than failure ever will"~Italian UFO

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,190 posts

I doubt it

Time_Traveller

Time_Traveller

Master of Time Travel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,226 posts
  • LocationLake Wanaka, New Zealand, 2025 C.E.

It think FTL's since that's more recent study than Wikipedia earlier studies which may not have been updated yet (well it said it was last updated on July 12, 2014).

Think someone should update Wikipedia then.

“One, remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Two, never give up work. Work gives you meaning and purpose and life is empty without it. Three, if you are lucky enough to find love, remember it is there and don't throw it away.”

Stephen Hawking

TheAsianGuy_LOL

TheAsianGuy_LOL

What's Up Homies

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts
  • LocationThe Stars of Which to be Settled

Think someone should update Wikipedia then.

Not me, I need to make an account and use up so much time to fix it lol. I tried doing it once with my old email and it just takes forever to look up and update with easy enough details.

"We know Everything, but not Everything"~ Me

"Don't question what I know, question what I don't know."~ Me

"Fear kills more dreams than failure ever will"~Italian UFO

four

four

Moon Princess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • LocationThe Universe.

But FT's source says

36 Aral Sea, Kazakhstan, Nasa.gov:
http://eol.jsc.nasa....=STS085-503-119
Accessed 1st June 2009.

Um, 2009 isn't very recent. And that study doesn't even mention the groundwater!
My collection of quotes
Spoiler

JCO

JCO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • LocationWA, USA

Following the footnotes for Wikipedia (often the most useful parts) I found a more recent NASA source that referenced a paper discussing the status of the Aral Seas. http://earthobservat...ew.php?id=46685

I just reviewed the abstract for the article but it sounds like efforts to stop and somewhat reverse the shinkage are well underway. http://onlinelibrary...services to you

It might be worth reviewing if there are any more recent comments on the current status of the efforts.

Confirmed Agnostic - I know that I don't know for sure and I am almost certain no one else does either.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users