Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Enable Down Votes

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

Wesfky

Wesfky

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts
Because I do not really want to response to every terrible/stupid post that someone makes and tell them how they are wrong.

jjf3

jjf3

Not a Member of the Tea Party! Just a Concerned Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,046 posts
  • LocationHolmdel NJ/Tampa Fl
Then don't respond, or... How about just think about how they could possibly be right?
"Did you really expect some utopian fantasy to rise from the ashes?" Thomas Zarek-- Battlestar Galactica.

Wesfky

Wesfky

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts
How about you stop making terrible posts?

Shimmy

Shimmy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts
Agreed, I really wanna downvote this thread

Roh234

Roh234

Capitalism is the only way to survive.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts
  • Location11 Dimentional Hyperspace

Agreed, I really wanna downvote this thread

+9001

What is true, just, and beautiful is not determined by popular vote. The masses everywhere are ignorant, short-sighted, motivated by envy, and easy to fool. Democratic politicians must appeal to these masses in order to be elected. Whoever is the best demagogue will win. Almost by necessity, then, democracy will lead to the perversion of truth, justice and beauty. -Hans Hermann Hoppe

Wesfky

Wesfky

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts
That's 9004 for and 1 against so far.

jjf3

jjf3

• Members
  • 2,046 posts
If you don't like it get off! I don't like some of the stuff people post on here either. I don't make posts crying about it though. I just think there needs to be less off topic posts and less people complaining, cursing, or attacking
"Did you really expect some utopian fantasy to rise from the ashes?" Thomas Zarek-- Battlestar Galactica.

Wesfky

Wesfky

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts
Thanks for the response jjf3, but I would of preferred some constructive feed back instead of your complaint. I am not taking about a "I don't like this" compared to the current "Like This" button, that's why I said down vote in stead of the former. This is not a crying post, this is a suggestion that I am suggesting, but if you think there should be a crying section in the forum you can make your own thread about said topic. I fully agree that there needs to be less off topic posts and less people complaining, cursing, or attacking and my suggestion is a good way to reduce this from happening.

Roh234

Roh234

Capitalism is the only way to survive.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts
  • Location11 Dimentional Hyperspace
Dude it will be Dislike any post anyone here disagrees with a thumbs down.. I seen this with many fourms. Facts get thumbs down.

What is true, just, and beautiful is not determined by popular vote. The masses everywhere are ignorant, short-sighted, motivated by envy, and easy to fool. Democratic politicians must appeal to these masses in order to be elected. Whoever is the best demagogue will win. Almost by necessity, then, democracy will lead to the perversion of truth, justice and beauty. -Hans Hermann Hoppe

jjf3

jjf3

• Members
  • 2,046 posts
oh ok now you described what you were talking about better. Yes same thing Facebook doesn't have a dislike button this place will turn into a negative forum instead of one where people can share ideas. If we had a dislike button we would enable people to dislike everything people say. without a real debate.

Innsertnamehere

Innsertnamehere

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts
I'd say jjf3's post was fairly constructive. My respect for westfly if currently falling faster than RIM's stocks are.

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow
I'd also like downvote. On facebook too. I see no reason why we can only "one-click praise" others.
"I walk alone and do no evil, having only a few wishes, just like an elephant in the forest."

"Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone."

Caiman

Caiman

Funky Duck

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts
  • LocationManchester, England
I'm a fan of a 'praise don't punish' to be honest. Unfortunately, and I think our own forum has shown it, people love to be negative and I've seen it on forums, people with vendettas and grudges and differences of opinion just using 'down votes' as a tool to troll other users, regardless of the quality of their post. There are more constructive ways to tell someone you disagree with them, whereas allowing a 'like' or '+1' button helps eliminate 'I agree' and 'this +1' posts from littering threads and hopefully encourages people to make decent posts. For now, I'd prefer to leave 'dislike' off. What we probably need to address soon is the light moderation on this forum, though I am still thinking about how best to do that without 'interfering' in discussion and censoring, which I am not interested in doing.

~Jon

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow
That's convincing enough for me. I think I can survive without it :)
"I walk alone and do no evil, having only a few wishes, just like an elephant in the forest."

"Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone."

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,407 posts
  • LocationLondon

I'm a fan of a 'praise don't punish' to be honest. Unfortunately, and I think our own forum has shown it, people love to be negative and I've seen it on forums, people with vendettas and grudges and differences of opinion just using 'down votes' as a tool to troll other users, regardless of the quality of their post. There are more constructive ways to tell someone you disagree with them, whereas allowing a 'like' or '+1' button helps eliminate 'I agree' and 'this +1' posts from littering threads and hopefully encourages people to make decent posts.

For now, I'd prefer to leave 'dislike' off. What we probably need to address soon is the light moderation on this forum, though I am still thinking about how best to do that without 'interfering' in discussion and censoring, which I am not interested in doing.

Agreed!

Oh, and +1 :D

Flatfingers

Flatfingers

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
Just to throw one more perspective on the fire, I also see little value in "downvotes." Highlighting the good stuff (or at least the popular stuff) is usually sufficient to indicate community norms. Besides, most people don't distinguish between "this post does not contribute to the goals of this forum" and "I don't like the content of this post" or even "I don't like this poster." Having only upvotes solves most of those last two kinds of commentary.

Dead Redshirt

Dead Redshirt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts
Agreed. Disliking just leads to another layer of squabbling. It doesn't add anything constructive. It just clutters the forum up with negative votes. It then becomes a popularity contest to see how many upvotes posters can get among the negatives. Some posts that people perceive as negative can actually have some really good points. I rather see posts for what they are, rather them being downvoted due to dislike. It just ends up creating a negative atmosphere.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. - Jack Layton - 1950 - 2011

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users