Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

NZT Pill, possible?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

Zeitgeist123

Zeitgeist123

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,805 posts
If you've alread watched the movie 'Limitless', you probably know what this pill do. It makes someone who takes it into a supergenius. Question: Given enough funding and research, is it possible for us to create a similar pill with our current technology. Im thinking a pill that does not makes us intelligent instantly, but Im expecting something more "The rise of the Planet of the Apes" type of a pill or medication. But just the same, would make us into supergeniuses (without the need for nanotech or AI/computer cyberimplant yet.) Opinions?

“Philosophy is a pretty toy if one indulges in it with moderation at the right time of life. But if one pursues it further than one should, it is absolute ruin." - Callicles to Socrates

jjf3

jjf3

Not a Member of the Tea Party! Just a Concerned Conservative

• Members
  • 2,046 posts
  • LocationHolmdel NJ/Tampa Fl
I think in about ten years something like this could be very possible. Biotechnology is the world's fastest growing industry! But even with that pill there was a problem with nuero overload. Too much use of the brain. Humans could access all of the brain, but is it safe to do so? We just don't know enough about the brain for the FDA to allow the drug to go into public consumption. People would be hesitant to use it at first i think as with any medication. Something that is MADE to directly affect the brain will certainly have complications elsewhere in the body. For instance all the commercials for drugs on TV half the damn commercial is about what it does to you (which is usually not 100% healthy)
"Did you really expect some utopian fantasy to rise from the ashes?" Thomas Zarek-- Battlestar Galactica.

Prolite

Prolite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
Scientists still don't know what makes someone a genius. I think MRI technology must progress much further before a pill like this can be developed. Just look at all this neuron-uptake-inhibitors or psychological pills like Zoloft. They cause people to commit suicide. I took Zoloft once after having been in a bad car accident. I was suffering through major depression. For some reason, my doctor put me on that crap. Zoloft changed my personality forever. It turned me from being a serious shy person to a silly outgoing person. I've never reverted back to my earlier self, ever.
I'm a business man, that's all you need to know about me.

jjf3

jjf3

• Members
  • 2,046 posts
Medication truly does mess up your brain. I was in and out of the hospital 18 times during my childhood!!! The medication and probably some of the radiation has cracked my personality as well. I truly believe it's the reason I come across a bit crazy, I cannot understand why people don't see the connections I do. It's also another reason why I tend to be cold and unemotional as I once was happy and cheerful, when I was say 7. I am nowhere near depressed and I love life. I just rarely feel anything.... On the other hand my time at these hospitals have contributed to my open-mindedness/unbias attitude than most of the population. This is why starting with my adult life, I avoid any and all drug types including alcohol coffee and soda.
"Did you really expect some utopian fantasy to rise from the ashes?" Thomas Zarek-- Battlestar Galactica.

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow

Im thinking a pill that does not makes us intelligent instantly, but Im expecting something more "The rise of the Planet of the Apes" type of a pill or medication. But just the same, would make us into supergeniuses (without the need for nanotech or AI/computer cyberimplant yet.)

Hard to tell. If to be genius you'd have to reshape brain, not just push neurons to work in diffrent way, then it might not be possible anytime soon. At least without changing whole person.
"I walk alone and do no evil, having only a few wishes, just like an elephant in the forest."

"Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone."

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,123 posts
  • LocationLondon
I hope this sort of technology is delayed, or at least heavily regulated. Imagine if some crazed fanatic became a genius overnight, and was able to develop a man-made super virus using his new-found powers.

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow
On other hand, imagine world of reasonable people.
"I walk alone and do no evil, having only a few wishes, just like an elephant in the forest."

Caiman

Caiman

Funky Duck

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts
  • LocationManchester, England

I hope this sort of technology is delayed, or at least heavily regulated. Imagine if some crazed fanatic became a genius overnight, and was able to develop a man-made super virus using his new-found powers.

One would hope super intelligence would make such a fanatic realise their fanaticism was ridiculous... ?

~Jon

Zeitgeist123

Zeitgeist123

• Members
  • 1,805 posts
Now, that I've been reading this back with your opinions. I wonder if the virus from "the rise of the planet of the apes" are safe for human ingestion, that would mean we could be supergeniuses and still safe (compared to NZT). Assuming that it isnt science fiction of course. I wonder if the "apes" movie are scientifically possible or at least, medically accurate...

“Philosophy is a pretty toy if one indulges in it with moderation at the right time of life. But if one pursues it further than one should, it is absolute ruin." - Callicles to Socrates

mic of orion

mic of orion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts
  • Locationlondon

If you've alread watched the movie 'Limitless', you probably know what this pill do. It makes someone who takes it into a supergenius. Question: Given enough funding and research, is it possible for us to create a similar pill with our current technology. Im thinking a pill that does not makes us intelligent instantly, but Im expecting something more "The rise of the Planet of the Apes" type of a pill or medication. But just the same, would make us into supergeniuses (without the need for nanotech or AI/computer cyberimplant yet.)

Opinions?

Perhaps with in next 20 years, I'm skeptical, as to turning one in to a genius, that will be possible by 2050 at the latest 2070,
It's dangerous to be right, when your government is wrong.
They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

jjf3

jjf3

• Members
  • 2,046 posts
It would be better to manipulate the person BEFORE they were born by enhancing certain smart genes, but we are just beginning to discover what those are so it's a long time until you can buy the process!

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow
Gattaca :) Man that would piss of some puritan people.

jjf3

jjf3

• Members
  • 2,046 posts
Which is why I predict that very soon these literal christians will soon be targeted as the next terrorists after in their view, "we go too far with technology"

Logically Irrational

Logically Irrational

For Lack of a Better Name

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts
  • LocationHoover Dam

Which is why I predict that very soon these literal christians will soon be targeted as the next terrorists after in their view, "we go too far with technology"

I assume you mean they would be doing some kind of terrorist activity right? No matter how out of touch someone's ideas are with society, they'd still have to do something about it first before they're labeled and targeted as terrorists. Unless it's like a terrorist watch list type of thing.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!

GNR Rvolution

GNR Rvolution

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts
  • LocationLondon
I would be very interested to see if they can figure out how some of the autistic savants can do what they do. There was a guy on the TV the other day, he only has to look at something once and he can recreate the entire thing on canvas with unbelievable accuracy and detail. They flew him over Manhattan, and then he drew the whole of Manhattan as a drawing. Took him a while to do (weeks / months) but he was faultless.
All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer.

jjf3

jjf3

• Members
  • 2,046 posts
Well I think that as technology progresses these "tea party" types would not want us to evolve into cyborgs, inject smart genes into ourselves, and give complete control over society to the AI. The same way they are against stem cell research and abortions today.

Unrequited Lust

Unrequited Lust

He Who Would Swallow God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts

If you've alread watched the movie 'Limitless', you probably know what this pill do. It makes someone who takes it into a supergenius. Question: Given enough funding and research, is it possible for us to create a similar pill with our current technology. Im thinking a pill that does not makes us intelligent instantly, but Im expecting something more "The rise of the Planet of the Apes" type of a pill or medication. But just the same, would make us into supergeniuses (without the need for nanotech or AI/computer cyberimplant yet.)

Opinions?

Not gonna happen. We'll be able to augment our intelligence using nanotechnology within a few decades, but not by swallowing a pill lol.

Zeitgeist123

Zeitgeist123

• Members
  • 1,805 posts
what about stem-cell/gene therapy like the ones being experimented to the apes in "the rise of the planet of the apes"?

Dash Lambda

Dash Lambda

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Fiction makes things much easier than they are. You can't just take an assortment of chemicals and make someone smart, at best you would need to deliver some form of microorganism to restructure parts of the brain.  

You could make someone smarter by increasing the mass of the cerebral cortex, the part at the front of your brain that processes higher thought. Of course other things would be involved, other areas for memory and still others for experience and language, but let's keep this basic. You would need to have something to make that part bigger, but you can't use stem-cells because the brain doesn't heal like the rest of the body does, you can't use gene-therapy because the brain's structure is decided by experience, thought, and use, only partly by genes. In the future we might understand the brain enough to surgically alter it to such a degree, but a simple pill seems far-fetched, even for the ominous and "limitless" (Hah) future.

Zeitgeist123

Zeitgeist123

• Members
  • 1,805 posts

brain implant neuropatches, that would easily solve the hurdles listed above. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users