Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Your PERSONAL vision of the future

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

TheComrade

TheComrade

BANNED

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,642 posts

Each of us partially agree and partially disagree with future as it is described in FTL main section. It was already discussed here and there, many times... So, this time, there will be no discussions. I just want from each of forum members (those who wish to do it, of course) to write a mini-essay, summarising and describing his own personal vision of the future. Let it be quite distant future (say, 2200 or 2500 or 3000) but not distant enough to make it completely unimaginable. Essay should include (at least patially) these topics:

- level of technology

- social system

- culture, religion and basic values

- problems and conflicts

To start this thread, here is my vision

=== WORLD IN 3014 ===

(according to PhoenixRu)

Today, by the beginning of XXXI century, world Industry (if it can be called this way) is based exclusively on nanotechnology. Industrial capacities are highly decentralized, allowing to meet virtually all the basic material needs of small communities or even separate individuals, that makes them economically independent from the rest of society. Concepts of "money", "trade" or "world market" has become obsolete many centuries ago. Competition around material needs ceased to be a driving force of human history. Though this is in general a classless society, its members aren’t equal to each other. The each person’s importance in community is based on his/her intellectual contribution to the common affairs & therefore the level of competition between its members (based on differences in intellect and creativity) is relatively high.

Concepts of "representative democracy", "sovereign state" and "political power" are obsolete too. Modern society is an incredibly complex (for any person born in XX-XXI centuries) network of self-governing communities and individuals while the main function of "world government" is maximally possible coordination of their interests and efforts for common good. While the "legislative power" is still belongs to this human "world government", the "executive power" is long ago in hands of AI (or collective of AI's). World population is below billion and slowly declines. Despite the many existing colonies in Solar System and beyond, the vast majority of population is still concentrated on Earth. Space exploration is driven by purely scientific curiosity and concentrated in hands of communities of enthusiasts and their AI’s, but there is no any economic need for expansion or terraforming of other planets.

There is virtually no common culture, every community and every individual are free to follow its own rules as long as this is not physically harm the others. Every person is free to leave his community or join to another one (if the members of this new community are ready to accept him) or exist on its own. Concepts of “family” and “marriage” either ceased to exist or became very vague. World religions of past (Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, etc) have long faded away, but world did not become 100% atheistic. Many people are still believes in some Super-Being behind this material universe.

The average modern individual have a much better health, much longer lifespan and much greater intellectual capacities compared to his ancestors. Despite that, humans are still humans, their intellects and abilities are not equal. And here is the root for the main problem of modern society: a lot (more than half, and this share is growing with time) of people feels yourself to be almost (or completely) useless for society. And they are right, they have nothing to offer to incredible complex and advanced civilization. Despite the fact that their material needs are fully satisfied, this “feeling of worthlessness” is a constant source of their internal discomfort, what may lead to loneliness, or to outbursts of unmotivated violence, or even to suicide...

===

I finished, now it's your turn. Sorry for my poor English (this time it really did not allowed me to voice / explain some of my thoughts) Someone may find this “essay” unrealistic, naïve and stupid... then i'm waiting for your realistic and smart posts.

KomissarBojantchev

KomissarBojantchev

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Why won't people have equally high intelligence in your future? Will there be FTL? How come these psychological problems you describe won't be completely curable by then? Why will we let only AI control our destinies(executive branch)? What makes you think people will stop reproducing so much that the population will reach such lower numbers?

TheComrade

TheComrade

BANNED

• Banned
  • 2,642 posts

Why won't people have equally high intelligence in your future? Will there be FTL? How come these psychological problems you describe won't be completely curable by then? Why will we let only AI control our destinies(executive branch)? What makes you think people will stop reproducing so much that the population will reach such lower numbers?

1) Make all people equally smart? I suspect this is harder task than turn black hole into quantum computer or travel between dimensions or something like that. Besides, there is nothing to "cure" here, this is a purely social problem: people aren't becoming stupid, it's just civilization becoming too advanced for majority to somehow participate in its further progress (manual labor as well as many kinds of intellectual labor are gone & you have to be a genius to do something really important).

2) AI do not control our destinies, that's why AI's do not allowed in legislative power. Human beings establish rules and goals, AI only helps to fulfill them.

3) Population slowly declining since late XXI century, because of low fertility rates all around the world. People of my future world are far more individualistic than they are today, family life does not attract them & many of them do not wish to have children at all...

PS i know my world is imperfect, but this thread is not about MY views, it's about YOURS. Write your own "essays" instead of criticizing mine.

Jakob

Jakob

Stable Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,122 posts

Sounds depressing and grim.

I've got a timeline here; I should update it soon.

hiraeth

hiraeth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

2200: The horrible part is almost over.

2500: The horrible part is definitely over.

That's all I have so far.

I searched for God and found only myself. I searched for myself and found only God. Sufi Proverb

Jakob

Jakob

Stable Genius

• Members
  • 6,122 posts

2200: The horrible part is almost over.

2500: The horrible part is definitely over.

That's all I have so far.

LOL, that's very concise.

Spacekitty

Spacekitty

Dusk Cypher - Instigator of Transcendence

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • LocationHuman Shell Unit Version 1.0

I wont write an Essay But I will tell you what I wish for in such a time

In a world where manual labor is unneedded by humanity thanks to highly advanced robotics

Strong Ai was never developed and a new form known as assistive AI is born where instead of overruling humanity, it helps humanity with each AI's existance tied to the human that controlls it. If that human dies, the AI dies as well making it in the best interest of AI to protect humans.

Exploraion of the solar system is frequently done by the nomadic people of society who desire to see what no human eye has seen before. Robots however do all the finding of resources to bring back to the colonies on mars and the homeworld of earth.

Neural interfaces revolutionise computing with AR augmentations becoming the norm and FIVR for gaming.

Since manual labor is unneeded, people pursue what interests them

Bodily modifications are performed by the majority, with the top of the list being no bodily hair, increased muscle mass, reverse ageing, heightened intelligence and better male and female genitalia. More extreme people are out there who add on an additional set of arms or sufficiently modify themselves to gain the ability to fly in earth gravity.

3D printers are used in the kitchen, combining base molecules into tasty bacon or what have you

marriage is still there but the family is broken up through AR and individualism, which isnt necessarily a bad thing or anything. Just sad.

Everyones put aside their differences and the planet is united under one government with one person representing each country and each country deciding based on the representatives of a countries region and each region deciding based on the interests on each locality.

The need for food, rest and sleep is long gone, but can be enjoyed if one so desires.

Something akin to a resource based economy is established.

The arts flourish

very few have cause to cry

Any and all diseases are cured

Recycling is at 100% of all utilised materials

The ecosystem of earth is fixed up from when we fucked it up

Pets are first designed and then distributed

Christmas is the favourite holiday of everyone, but its religious significance being lost to family togetherness and the sharing and giving of gifts

etc etc all the nice things we all want exept for mind uploading and AI deciding our fate I'd rather be the one doing the research or the painting of paintings or the moulding of clay, which might just be replaced by claytronic blobs or something in the future which are much more versatile n the ways they can change

I will instigate the singularity!

TheComrade

TheComrade

BANNED

• Banned
  • 2,642 posts

Strong Ai was never developed and a new form known as assistive AI is born where instead of overruling humanity, it helps humanity with each AI's existance tied to the human that controlls it. If that human dies, the AI dies as well making it in the best interest of AI to protect humans.

Interesting idea :)

GenX

GenX

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,045 posts
  • LocationSo Cal

I don't trust humanity.  It seems to me like somehow all the dumbest people are the ones in charge of everything.  So I honestly suspect that at some point, we'll be living in a post-apocalyptic future, whether it's from climate change, a robot revolution, or just widespread economic collapse due to horrifically bad mismanagement of funds by various governments.  The wealthiest people will find a safe haven somewhere, so unfortunately I think Elysium would be our future in 3014.

The only thing we ever want is more

Ru1138

Ru1138

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,190 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Socio-economically, I hope that a "flexconomy" can exist. It would allow people who want to work to do so and people who don't want to work to have a decent life.

What difference does it make?

Jakob

Jakob

Stable Genius

• Members
  • 6,122 posts

Socio-economically, I hope that a "flexconomy" can exist. It would allow people who want to work to do so and people who don't want to work to have a decent life.

Why should someone who doesn't want to contribute to society have a decent life?

Is my opposition to UBI starting to look like this?

Ru1138

Ru1138

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,190 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Why should someone who doesn't want to contribute to society have a decent life?

Consider the recent prognostications that AI is automating many jobs away. Why punish people if they are unable to get a job?

And since the functioning of businesses requires consumers to work, your argument that people who aren't working "aren't contributing" is hogwash. As long as products are sold for money, people contribute to the bottom line of businesses just by existing.

What difference does it make?

hiraeth

hiraeth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

I wouldn't say that having a job is the only way you can contribute to society. Lots of people are artists, poets, some people meditate, become one with nature, etc. and make people/animals around them better just by existing or they beautify our world through their presence or mission in life. They shouldn't be forced to live terribly just because they're not holding down a 9-5. Plus, NOT working can free up time for people to express themselves fully or tap into all of their talents. That's why I believe a basic income will bring us as close to a utopian society as we've ever been so far. Just enough to eat, clothe yourself, and have a modest but nice place to live. If you want anything beyond that, yes, you should find a way to make more money. 

There are always going to be lazy people who stay at home all day watching TV and ordering take out with their basic income, but the amount of people who will use it as a way to go to college or something along those lines will make it all worth it in the end. Remember, it's not just basic income and everything else stays the same and that's it forever. It's basic income with education reform, hopefully widespread virtual classrooms, any way we can make going to school accessible to everyone on earth. With technological unemployment we're going to have to do SOMETHING, and fast. Basic income is the way to go.

• Unity likes this
I searched for God and found only myself. I searched for myself and found only God. Sufi Proverb

OrbitalResonance

OrbitalResonance

Cosmic Emperor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,233 posts
  • LocationDeep Space

Because not everyone would have to contribute to society. They could go do 'art' or something.

We make our world significant by the courage of our questions and the depth of our answers. - Carl Sagan

kjaggard

kjaggard

Artificer

• Moderators
  • 2,987 posts
  • Locationwhere fanciful imaginings and hard won knowledge meet to genesis the future.

art contributes to society far more than stocking vending machines.

this obsession with employment which most people erroniously refer to as work is a recent thing. For most of human history nobody hired you to labor for their business and paid you in currency that was exchangable for good and services you needed. Instead we lived and died by our own ability to meet the basic needs of life. If you could secure food and shelter in less than four hours a week year round... then you only needed to put four hours of work in each week. You spent the rest of your time in developing culture via the arts and humanities. we contemplated ourselves and our nature, we studied the stars, we built monuments and designed new tools. Not because somebody paid us to or that it would advance our career in an organization we neither lead or owned.

It is work. but it's not a 'job', a labor required of you by somebody with more authority in exchange for notes that allow you to purchase and or justify your continued existance.

If humans can see to the entirety of their needs for survival and more than a good portion of their comforts and pleasures on their own, then there is no need to justify your existences via labor for hire. You simply exist and you get to decide how to invest that existence for the most satisfactory return.

• illykitty, Ru1138, Noctis Futuris and 5 others like this
Live content within small means. Seek elegance rather than luxury, Grace over fashion and wealth over riches.
Listen to clouds and mountains, children and sages. Act bravely, think boldly.
Await occasions, never make haste. Find wonder and awe, by experiencing the everyday.

eldigato

eldigato

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts

I feel like there's going to be a somewhat-dystopian future in the next 50 years. Accelerating suicide rates because people will lose their humanity, as they already are today. The government will grow ever more powerful, much more corruption, potential for supervolcanos and extreme climate change. Culture in the USA will be more tolerant, which is definitely good, but will also see many aspects of it deteriorating as well.

The nerds who made millions and billions off their talent, like the google folks, youtube trio, steve jobs, bill gates, etc might begin to shape the politics and culture to a utopia they imagine. People could begin to abandon the GOP and democratic party and vote for third parties.. I'm 50/50 when it comes to the future, but most people here are more interested, educated and focused than I.

TheComrade

TheComrade

BANNED

• Banned
  • 2,642 posts

As for this "money and contribution" thing, I find the idea "if we give them free bread, lazy bastards will stop working" both naive and misanthropic. There are more powerful driving forces for human creativity, than just hunger. As for the rest, Kjaggard already said everything what i wanted.

• Unity likes this

Maximus

Maximus

Spaceman

• Members
  • 1,807 posts
  • LocationCanada

Agree with kjaggard 110%. An artist can contribute more to society than a thousand warehouse workers ever could. It's too late right now, but I will post my essay tomorrow or some time during this week.

JCO

JCO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • LocationWA, USA

There are too many thing that I think will change in the future to put in just one post so I will offer some pieces focused on some aspect of a possible future.

Floating Cities

Born of idealistic dreams to transform government and society the first seasteads were built during the latter part of the 21st century. They had very limited success in the area of influencing civil and social order but they proved to be major financial successes. By the end of the 22nd century several of these sea going cities had grown to be counted among the largest urban centers on the Earth. Unlike the original vision of them few of these cities claimed or retained national sovereignty by the end of the 22nd century. 

Initially the economy of many of these cities were centered on aquaculture or as free trade zones. Over time the cities evolved and diversified. One of the major factors in this evolution were wave driven pumps. The technology to use wave action to draw deep ocean water to the surface became the foundation of most of the economies of most seasteads. The technology enables the seasteads to be located in the deep ocean where the surface water is nutrient poor.  

The largest of the seasteads were located on major shipping lanes. Many of the sovereign seasteads were of this type. International law recognized a sovereign seastead that held permanent locations as having a seacoast. This allowed them to claim territorial waters. The same rights were not extended to seasteads under the flag of land based countries. The aquaculture in their territorial water supported by the nutrients provided by wave driven pumps provided almost all the food and soft goods required by the seastead. It also was used produce an alternative to marine diesel oil that became the dominant fuel for shipping by the middle of the 22nd century. Sovereign seasteads had few tariffs or import fees as they were able to raise more than enough through income based on servicing the vessels passing through.  

A second type of seastead were called the beekeepers of the ocean. These seasteads actually were constantly on the move. Many were actually move almost entirely by 'sailing'. Due largely to the rather moderate speeds they travel they were usually able to take advantage of wind and currents to take them to their destinations. Though these seasteads usually traveled under the flag of some landed nation the would travel the waters of many nations. Much of the income of these seasteads came from fees they charged countries for traveling through their waters. By spending a few month in a nations territorial water the 'beekeepers' would work wonders of long term recoveries of fishery population due in large part to their use of the wave driven pumps. This would not have been enough to support them alone. They would also identify what other factor were negatively impacting the ecology of a nations waters of had developed an entire host of cures. 

The smallest of the seasteads were the sea witches. The inhabitants of these seasteads were for the most part secondary to there actual purpose. For much of the year they were used as resort islands as they travelled through tropical waters. The main purpose of these seasteads was to control (or at lease influence) the weather. The too used the wave driven pumps but in this case their purpose was to reduce the temperature of the surface water. The goal was to eliminate severe tropical storms. During storm seasons was when they made use of the fact that their pumps could be powered allowing for much larger quantities of deep water to be brought up. If a tropical storm developed a seawitch would move into its path and drop the surface temperature drastically, usually completely destabilizing and abating the storm. The last category 5 tropical storm on Earth was in 2132. It was met in the open ocean by the sea witch Mystic. The Mystic was lost that day but when the storm made landfall it was a category 3.

• Jakob and That-Guy like this

Confirmed Agnostic - I know that I don't know for sure and I am almost certain no one else does either.

Jakob

Jakob

Stable Genius

• Members
  • 6,122 posts

Because not everyone would have to contribute to society. They could go do 'art' or something.

Which helps humanity, how exactly? You reap what you sow. If you don't give anything, why should you get anything?

art contributes to society far more than stocking vending machines.

It's pretty to look at, but in the end it does nothing for us. "Stocking vending machines" is an irrelevant tangent; no one disputes that robots can and do carry out menial labor. I'm talking about the jobs that take some actual thought and intelligence.

this obsession with employment which most people erroniously refer to as work is a recent thing. For most of human history nobody hired you to labor for their business and paid you in currency that was exchangable for good and services you needed. Instead we lived and died by our own ability to meet the basic needs of life. If you could secure food and shelter in less than four hours a week year round... then you only needed to put four hours of work in each week. You spent the rest of your time in developing culture via the arts and humanities. we contemplated ourselves and our nature, we studied the stars, we built monuments and designed new tools. Not because somebody paid us to or that it would advance our career in an organization we neither lead or owned.

For most of human history, humans were primitive. Now we're not. And again, what's with this obsession with the arts? And I'm pretty sure that people have been paid to do work as long as money has existed.

It is work. but it's not a 'job', a labor required of you by somebody with more authority in exchange for notes that allow you to purchase and or justify your continued existance.

Nothing strikes me as particularly wrong or dystopian about this.

If humans can see to the entirety of their needs for survival and more than a good portion of their comforts and pleasures on their own, then there is no need to justify your existences via labor for hire. You simply exist and you get to decide how to invest that existence for the most satisfactory return.

And a lot of people will do nothing productive. They'll just throw huge parties and mess around in FIVR and maybe make some art, which won't do anything to advance humanity. Compare it to nearly everyone doing productive work, making their superiors wealthier, getting money for themselves, and advancing humanity.

A real-life example: consider the famous-for-being-famous-and-inheriting-millions types that are around today. How many of them actually do anything for humanity?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users