Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Your PERSONAL vision of the future

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

zEVerzan

zEVerzan

Orange Animating Android

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,699 posts
  • LocationSome Underground Sweatshop Probably

Are we talking about how automation will make us all useless and depressed again? Oh bother.

Read my damn future history.

My personal vision of a perfect future:

100 years from now): At some point AGI (Artificial General Intelligence) is created for the first time after a lot of trial and error. Created from reverse-engineering the human brain, she's basically just a human without a body. The next goal of the scientists who created her work to give her self-improving capabilities and make the leap from AGI to ASI (Artificial Super Intelligence), and she's super excited about all this.

ANI (Artificial Narrow Intelligence) is already seeing widespread symbiosis with humanity, taking on the forms of smart clothing and the Internet of Things in general, and experimental nanobot symbiosis in more intimate cases. "Texting" with the mind is becoming popular; telepathic messages are either sent on an individual basis or broadcast on the interhumanet like Twitter.

In the meantime, new generations of more environmentally-conscious populations are working to fix the damage their ancestors had caused. Extinct species are being cloned back into existence, and nanotechnology is actively reducing pollution and environmental damage. Space elevators are being created, and used as manufacturing platforms for space junk gathering and asteroid mining.

The Capitalistic system is taking all these changes surprisingly well but society collectively recognizes the need to adapt and is doing so at a steady pace; new, more effective institutions are being formed as vestigial institutions break down.

Third World nations have been taken under the wing of the developed nations. Hegemonies are being disbanded in favor of a more gentle guiding hand toward progress and prosperity. The population is reaching a stable, natural condition.

I am also a universally-loved visionary animator kind of like Walt Disney.

100 years later): In the intermittent period, ASI has become a massive force of change for humanity. They have diversified and seen widespread integration to society.

Symbiosis with ASI is in full swing, with a single human/ASI unit thinking as one, but simultaneously connected to every other human. Telepathy, while once more like Twitter with a mind-activated interface, now works more like a collective psychic link that binds every human together in a way that preserves individuality but in turn allows for superb empathy. Greed, need, death and hatred are things of the past. Inequality is a concept few remember. Mind uploading and copying are being researched. FIVR is a huge source of entertainment, but used responsibly and for recreation only.

The environment has fully recovered, and Earth has become a garden world of immense beauty. All old-fashioned human cities have been abandoned and overgrown in favor of fully-automated, rigorously planned, self-sustaining settlements. Plants and animals are being seeded with nanobots that are starting to fuel a united, planetary consciousness.

100 years later): All living things on Earth are linked to the planetary consciousness; massive-scale terraforming and integration of other planets and asteroids into our solar system is underway. For the first time in a couple centuries, the human population is growing once again, but on other planets that are also growing. The first settlers have been sent off on self-sustaining city-ships with cryo and FIVR for those who want it. Secrets to interstellar travel are being rigorously researched.

1,000 years later): Interstellar travel, if it is possible, has been discovered and is constantly improving. Dead worlds surrounding alien suns are being terraformed to similar life-networks at exponential rates. Every star encountered thus far is being surrounded by a Dyson sphere made of collected interstellar debris.

Some alien life has been found, but it may or may not be sapient.

10,000 years later): A good chunk of the Milky Way has been integrated into the Interstellar Consciousness. At this point a few sapient alien species have been found. If primitive, they are graciously integrated into the fold if they choose; if advanced like us, they are happy to see us and merge our respective networks together.

The first generation ships ever sent off have arrived at their destinations to find they are untouched; this was a kind gesture by the interstellar mind to ensure their efforts had not been futile.

100,000 years later): The entire Milky Way is a thriving network of life and extreme, god-like intelligence. Even now it has begun sending off intelligent matter to seed other galaxies and perhaps find more like it so they may also merge.

100,000,000 years later): A good part of the universe is integrated into the network of intelligent life; the universe is slowly waking up.

Earth's sun is aging a bit, but that's not really a concern. At this point the technology may exist to make a star live indefinitely.

100,000,000,000 years later): The Universe is an entity of intelligent life. It ponders if it can truly live forever, and if its inevitable heat death is truly inevitable.

My personal vision of the worst future imaginable:

1 minute from now): A gamma ray burst targeted right at Earth strips away its atmosphere and bathes the world in radioactive fire; everyone and everything instantly dies a gruesome death. Earth is now a lifeless rock and will always remain so. Cruel fate.

I always imagined the future as a time of more reason, empathy, and peace, not less. It's time for a change.
Attention is currency in the "free marketplace of ideas".
I do other stuff besides gripe about the future! Twitter Youtube DeviantArt +-PATREON-+

zEVerzan

zEVerzan

Orange Animating Android

• Members
  • 3,699 posts

Jakob, listen: you're thinking about an automated society the wrong way. Think of humans and machines not as competitors, but as two halves that form a cohesive whole. Symbiosis will happen and it will be beneficial to all.

You're worried that the vast majority of humans will remain unfulfilled and suicidal? I'm sure the seething droves of bureaucrats, maintenance men, and factory workers lead very fulfilling lives.

We are automating society so these people no longer have to be tied up in the tedium of keeping society running, and can be free to expand their horizons. There will be more scientists and artists in this future than ever before. Think of all the people who would have been great had they not been mired in some dead-end, lower-tier occupation from which there was no promotion or escape.

Those people will have the opportunity to pursue their dreams and create, and the effects of their greatness on society and the fact that they've made everyone's lives better will be their reward. Providing a higher quality of life won't do much since everyone will already have one, so the rewards for greatness will be less tangible.

And don't forget that humans and machines will be working together to breach new frontiers, because that is something we always do.

• illykitty, joe00uk, That-Guy and 1 other like this
I always imagined the future as a time of more reason, empathy, and peace, not less. It's time for a change.
I do other stuff besides gripe about the future! Twitter Youtube DeviantArt +-PATREON-+

Ru1138

Ru1138

• Members
  • 3,190 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Jakob, listen: you're thinking about an automated society the wrong way. Think of humans and machines not as competitors, but as two halves that form a cohesive whole. Symbiosis will happen and it will be beneficial to all.

You're worried that the vast majority of humans will remain unfulfilled and suicidal? I'm sure the seething droves of bureaucrats, maintenance men, and factory workers lead very fulfilling lives.

We are automating society so these people no longer have to be tied up in the tedium of keeping society running, and can be free to expand their horizons. There will be more scientists and artists in this future than ever before. Think of all the people who would have been great had they not been mired in some dead-end, lower-tier occupation from which there was no promotion or escape.

Those people will have the opportunity to pursue their dreams and create, and the effects of their greatness on society and the fact that they've made everyone's lives better will be their reward. Providing a higher quality of life won't do much since everyone will already have one, so the rewards for greatness will be less tangible.

And don't forget that humans and machines will be working together to breach new frontiers, because that is something we always do.

The problem is that, if you consider capitalism the end all be all of socio-economic systems, then something like what Jakob fears is inevitable in a capitalistic system.

Why? Because capitalism is ultimately a system that forces the agencies participating in it (corporations) to produce maximum profit at maximum efficiency. You can't asymptotically approach that P/E value with humans, we're too fallible. You can approach it asymptotically with certain types of automation.

The problem is that getting as close as possible to that P/E value requires every human aside from the owners of capital to be automated out. With that you get a catch-22 of having the ultimately efficient workforce, but nobody to sell your products to.

But there is an upside to such a story. If you instead consider capitalism as a transitory affair, after you reach the maximum P/E value there is either a transition to a more humane system or everything stagnates.

• illykitty, zEVerzan and joe00uk like this

What difference does it make?

zEVerzan

zEVerzan

Orange Animating Android

• Members
  • 3,699 posts

The problem is that, if you consider capitalism the end all be all of socio-economic systems

It can't be.There has to be some kind of better system not possible yet with our current level of technology.

But there is an upside to such a story. If you instead consider capitalism as a transitory affair, after you reach the maximum P/E value there is either a transition to a more humane system or everything stagnates.

There it is. A truly post-scarcity system will have no need for capitalism, and a perfect efficiency/profit ratio will effectively force the transition.

• illykitty and joe00uk like this

Ru1138

Ru1138

• Members
  • 3,190 posts
  • LocationIllinois

The problem is that, if you consider capitalism the end all be all of socio-economic systems

It can't be.There has to be some kind of better system not possible yet with our current level of technology.

I believe that. I was speaking as a form of thought experiment. ;)

zEVerzan

zEVerzan

Orange Animating Android

• Members
  • 3,699 posts

Ah, gotcha. Some people do consider capitalism the end of economics as far as we know, and that bugs the hell out of me.

Kind of like asking a feudal serf if there will ever be a system beyond feudalism; they might say something like, "not until we don't need people to gather food anymore. That'll be the day!"

Lunix688

Lunix688

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts
  • LocationUnited States

What if someone is unable to contribute as much as another person? Then that person would be rewarded less because of something beyond their control - that's hardly fair.

Well that is why we need to help these people from a government welfare perspective, and make sure that everyone is able to live above poverty and have access to education. 

Also, why exactly should someone who has had the opportunity to contribute a lot but chooses not to, still receive as much as say someone who innovates and contributes more? I'm not advocating that the person that contributes little is not needed/or is doing a disservice to society, but if your talking of fairness then it is not fair for someone to work hard but still get the same as someone that works less hard.

"Liberterianism is a mental disease. A national health crisis and a threat to the future of this country...Worse than the threat from terrorism, asteroids, disease and yes global warming.
It is mindless anti-government idiocy. If it isn't turned back I predict the end of this country as a world power. Simply put the need to educate our entire population like any sane country is sen as wrong by the cult that practice this foolish idiocy. So is simple workers rights, child labor and every other sane policy of the modern world."
-Matthew

"The man who does not value himself, cannot value anything or anyone.”
-Ayn Rand, The Virtue of Selfishness: A New Concept of Egoism
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"The world runs on individuals pursuing their self interests. The great achievements of civilization have not come from government bureaus. Einstein didn't construct his theory under order from a, from a bureaucrat. Henry Ford didn't revolutionize the automobile industry that way."
-Milton Friedman

joe00uk

joe00uk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • LocationUK

What if someone is unable to contribute as much as another person? Then that person would be rewarded less because of something beyond their control - that's hardly fair.

Well that is why we need to help these people from a government welfare perspective, and make sure that everyone is able to live above poverty and have access to education. 

Also, why exactly should someone who has had the opportunity to contribute a lot but chooses not to, still receive as much as say someone who innovates and contributes more? I'm not advocating that the person that contributes little is not needed/or is doing a disservice to society, but if your talking of fairness then it is not fair for someone to work hard but still get the same as someone that works less hard.

From each according to their ability, to each according to their need. Additional goods are possible too, so long as there's enough of said goods to go around.

Lunix688

Lunix688

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts
  • LocationUnited States

^This only works though if there are infinite resources. 

We don't have that at the moment.

"Liberterianism is a mental disease. A national health crisis and a threat to the future of this country...Worse than the threat from terrorism, asteroids, disease and yes global warming.
It is mindless anti-government idiocy. If it isn't turned back I predict the end of this country as a world power. Simply put the need to educate our entire population like any sane country is sen as wrong by the cult that practice this foolish idiocy. So is simple workers rights, child labor and every other sane policy of the modern world."
-Matthew

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"The world runs on individuals pursuing their self interests. The great achievements of civilization have not come from government bureaus. Einstein didn't construct his theory under order from a, from a bureaucrat. Henry Ford didn't revolutionize the automobile industry that way."
-Milton Friedman

Ru1138

Ru1138

• Members
  • 3,190 posts
  • LocationIllinois

???

Why exactly would we need an infinite number of resources to meet the needs of everybody? There aren't an infinite number of humans.

Lunix688

Lunix688

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts
  • LocationUnited States

???

Why exactly would we need an infinite number of resources to meet the needs of everybody? There aren't an infinite number of humans.

Okay I misinterpreted what he said I was under the imperssion he was suggesting 'wants' rather then 'needs'. My mistake 

-Matthew

-Milton Friedman

Jakob

Jakob

Stable Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,122 posts

There is a difference between needs (just enough food and water to survive [as in, not drop dead], one set of clothing, someplace to get out of extreme weather) and wants (enough food and water for comfort, multiple sets of clothing, a house, and so on). I suspect most of the UBI people are confusing wants with absolute needs. I think I've even heard stuff about unlimited energy and internet access. I mean, come on. You don't need internet to survive.

Rainbow Frog

Rainbow Frog

Password Scrambled

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts
  • LocationRemember me fondly!

There is a difference between needs (just enough food and water to survive [as in, not drop dead], one set of clothing, someplace to get out of extreme weather) and wants (enough food and water for comfort, multiple sets of clothing, a house, and so on). I suspect most of the UBI people are confusing wants with absolute needs. I think I've even heard stuff about unlimited energy and internet access. I mean, come on. You don't need internet to survive.

No, but it is almost a necessity now and will become more of an issue on the future.

People are illogical, unreasonable, and self-centered. Love them anyway. 
If you do good, people will accuse you of selfish ulterior motives. Do good anyway. 
If you are successful, you will win false friends and true enemies. Succeed anyway. 
The good you do today will be forgotten tomorrow. Do good anyway. 
Honesty and frankness make you vulnerable. Be honest and frank anyway. 
The biggest men and women with the biggest ideas can be shot down by the smallest men and women with the smallest minds. Think big anyway. 
People favor underdogs but follow only top dogs. Fight for a few underdogs anyway. 
What you spend years building may be destroyed overnight. Build anyway. 
People really need help but may attack you if you do help them. Help people anyway. 
Give the world the best you have and you'll get kicked in the teeth. Give the world the best you have anyway.

Jakob

Jakob

Stable Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,122 posts

No, but it is almost a necessity now and will become more of an issue on the future.

No, it isn't. I spent a weekend without internet last year while on vacation. I did not drop dead, nor did I feel like there was nothing to do. Once again, you're confusing needs (things you would literally die without) and wants (things that life would be unpleasant without).

JCO

JCO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • LocationWA, USA

No, it isn't. I spent a weekend without internet last year while on vacation. I did not drop dead, nor did I feel like there was nothing to do. Once again, you're confusing needs (things you would literally die without) and wants (things that life would be unpleasant without).

A whole week, I am impressed....NOT. The issue is not if you can physically survive without the internet but whether it is becoming like electricity and running water, essential to being fully functional in our modern society. What you describe as NEEDS are the things available to a homeless person. You are sounding like some character out of Dickens like Ebenezer Scrooge. What society needs to be healthy is to be as close as possible to every member being able to participate. Homelessness, hunger, and poverty are diseases on our society. The people that are suffering from it are NOT the disease. All of society suffers because we allow these diseases grow. They cause the people suffering from them to be a burden on society instead of a support of society.

The fact is to be fully functional in our society you need decent food, a good home, electricity, a phone, and now the internet. 

• ironland likes this

Confirmed Agnostic - I know that I don't know for sure and I am almost certain no one else does either.

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,190 posts

37890-future-city-matte-paint-by-ipranaw

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • 12,190 posts

future-city_1819612b.jpg

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • 12,190 posts

3016768-poster-p-1-photoshopping-the-futmaxresdefault.jpg

oklok

oklok

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

My Vision

1. People are no longer watching TV infront of a screen, it is instead projected infront of you

2. We are all connected, nobody have phones anymore, a small tiny chip is inside each of us

3. we are all controlled, theer is nowhere to hide, we are always tracked

4. We need find a new planet...earth has taken to much damage!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users