Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Request for an Additional Gender Option

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

Futurist

Futurist

Aspiring cross-dresser

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,802 posts
  • LocationSouthern California, United States of America, Planet Earth

If I remember correctly, we currently only have the options male, female, and not available for one's gender. Thus, it is possible (if it is easy to do) to add an additional gender option (specifically, something such as gender-fluid/non-binary) for individuals such as myself who have unconventional views on gender (I myself am gender-fluid/a cross-dreamer)?

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,326 posts

Male and female are the biological genders. That is the only options one should have.  Anything else is made up and confusing.

Mashallah

Mashallah

Transgender student

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,332 posts
  • LocationSerbia

Why not just pick "not available"?
I think that it covers all non-binary options.

I don't like being lied to, but I'm also tired of The Truth.

Man cannot remake himself without suffering, for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Jakob

Jakob

Stable Genius

• Members
  • 6,158 posts

Male and female are the biological genders. That is the only options one should have.  Anything else is made up and confusing.

I wouldn't have phrased it so bluntly myself, but I do think that the not telling option should be good enough. Or possible there could be an "other" button. Or a "not telling/other" button. TBH there are so many different gender identities and sexualities that it would be confusing to list all of them.

Cosmic Cat

Cosmic Cat

Hibernating

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,345 posts
  • Location-

Fae/Faer/Faers/Faeself

xe/hir/hirs/hirself

Tumblr and hir weird pronouns gimmick.

If I had a tumblr, my gimmick would be:

dei/deities/deiself/

or

god/gods/godself/

Because I've formed a god complex after watching death note, and I deserve to be recognized! Gods for equal rights! Mortal privileges are unfair, unsubstantial, and unnecessary!

Smeargle

Smeargle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts
  • LocationLuckiest city in the UK
Yeah, let's have options for all the make believe genders invented by teenagers on Tumblr. Gender equality you know man (oh sorry, I don't mean man; insert word relevant to respective gender here).

tumblr_m9fpumWI6c1r231xw.gif

ARADIA: i think i mostly want to see what happens when this whole place breaks apart

Mashallah

Mashallah

Transgender student

• Members
  • 2,332 posts
  • LocationSerbia

Yeah, let's have options for all the make believe genders invented by teenagers on Tumblr. Gender equality you know man (oh sorry, I don't mean man; insert word relevant to respective gender here).

Heh, you reminded me of the drama related to this gem of tumblr thought:

circumgender.jpg

Man cannot remake himself without suffering, for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Futurist

Futurist

Aspiring cross-dresser

• Members
  • 5,802 posts

I wouldn't have phrased it so bluntly myself, but I do think that the not telling option should be good enough. Or possible there could be an "other" button. Or a "not telling/other" button. TBH there are so many different gender identities and sexualities that it would be confusing to list all of them.

How about four options for gender:

-Male
-Female
-Other
-Not available

At least this will allow non-binary and gender-unconventional people such as myself to openly express ourselves without being confused with people who do not want to reveal their gender (for whom the "Not available" option is for).

Jakob

Jakob

Stable Genius

• Members
  • 6,158 posts

-Male
-Female
-Other
-Not available

At least this will allow non-binary and gender-unconventional people such as myself to openly express ourselves without being confused with people who do not want to reveal their gender (for whom the "Not available" option is for).

Fair enough. I suppose that would be reasonably simple.

Cosmic Cat

Cosmic Cat

Hibernating

• Validating
  • 4,345 posts
  • Location-

circumgender.jpg

Tumblr has its own language.

DING

A thought formed in my head, will it be possible for various internet communities create their own slang so when they try to chat in other internet communities, we will be able to distinguish the two community users.

For example, tumblr is full of people who enjoy minority ass-kissing and uniquieness,  so it'll be pretty obvious they'll invent various terms as seen in your post.

4chan's /b/ board's language will be full of "rolls", "faggots", "penises", and quote stories. Not to mention, an abomination to modern grammar. I don't know about the other boards though.

hiraeth

hiraeth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Sort of a ridiculous thing to say, considering some of the topics are discussed on this forum...

Anyway. There should definitely be another option. I'm 100% behind it.

I searched for God and found only myself. I searched for myself and found only God. Sufi Proverb

Mashallah

Mashallah

Transgender student

• Members
  • 2,332 posts
  • LocationSerbia

-Male
-Female
-Other
-Not available

This sounds okay.

TheComrade

TheComrade

BANNED

• Banned
  • 2,642 posts

Another weird thread about weird things, which absolutely not worth discussing. There are already male / female / not telling options, isn't it enough? IMHO this:

...is actually the most correct point. Yet, if someone, for some strange reason, have an urgent need to declare he's not male neither female, he/she should be given such an option. Let it be "other" gender, without unneeded detalization.

Smeargle

Smeargle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts
  • LocationLuckiest city in the UK

Do you know the difference between gender and sex

Gender-
Gender is the range of characteristics pertaining to, and differentiating between, masculinity and femininity. Depending on the context, these characteristics may include biological sex (i.e. the state of being male, female or intersex), sex-based social structures (including gender roles and other social roles), or gender identity.

Biological sex-
Organisms of many species are specialized into male and female varieties, each known as a sex.

Oh hey what the definitions overlap despite what all the people who crawled out from the depths of Tumblr say who'd have thunk it.

ARADIA: i think i mostly want to see what happens when this whole place breaks apart

Futurist

Futurist

Aspiring cross-dresser

• Members
  • 5,802 posts

circumgender.jpg

WTF?

Futurist

Futurist

Aspiring cross-dresser

• Members
  • 5,802 posts

In addition, biological sex itself isn't always completely clear-cut. After all, there are intersex people.

Mashallah

Mashallah

Transgender student

• Members
  • 2,332 posts
  • LocationSerbia

WTF?
It's tumblr. People there like inventing new identities to participate in the local oppression Olympics. It's complicated.

Cosmic Cat

Cosmic Cat

Hibernating

• Validating
  • 4,345 posts
  • Location-

In addition, biological sex itself isn't always completely clear-cut. After all, there are intersex people.

It really makes me question whether other animals aside from humans disassociate themselves from the typical male-female gender. There are gay animals, but are there trans-animals and gender-queer ones?

Also, male-female transgenders seem to be biologically a different gender altogether. Their hypothalamus and friends are a lot smaller than both male and female ones, even though females have significantly smaller hypothalamus than men.

I always have to do this to avoid confusion between hippcampus and hypothalamus: Hypothalamus is responsible for unconcious bodily maintenance, NOT learning and forming new memories.

Mashallah

Mashallah

Transgender student

• Members
  • 2,332 posts
  • LocationSerbia

By the way, some people consider transgenderism to be simply a case of intersexuality when it occurs only in the brain.

Futurist

Futurist

Aspiring cross-dresser

• Members
  • 5,802 posts

By the way, some people consider transgenderism to be simply a case of intersexuality when it occurs only in the brain.

Yes, I am already aware of this, and Yes, I might agree with this interpretation.

Of course, it is worth noting that there might be two kinds of people who transition (this is based on what other people wrote): people who are transgender in the conventional sense (as in, their brains and bodies don't match) and autogynophiles/cross-dreamers (people who are sexually, romantically, and/or emotionally attracted to the idea of them as the opposite gender). Most people who transition probably fall into the first category, though. Anyway, you also appear to fall into the first category, whereas I appear to fall into the second category. As far as I know, both of these groups have brains which are different from regular/"normal" cis-people, albeit in different ways.

Thoughts on this?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users