Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Could religion survive contact with extraterrestrials?

UFOs aliens extraterrestrials religion dogma Christianity Buddhism humans culture first contact

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,663 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

http://theweek.com/a...traterrestrials

From this range of writing, a broad consensus emerges. Buddhism, as a nontheistic belief system, would be largely unshaken by the discovery of intelligent life on other worlds. Among Christians, the Vatican's long history of adjusting itself to the findings of modern science would lead Catholics to be relatively unfazed. More literalistic Protestants — especially evangelicals of various stripes — would have a much harder time of it, while certain sects with origins in 19th-century America (Seventh-Day Adventists, Jehovah's Witnesses, Mormons), which already have folk beliefs about the existence of life on other planets, might actually thrive.

64632_article_full.jpg?209

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

Jakob

Jakob

Stable Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,122 posts

I think religion would continue on pretty much intact even if alien life were discovered.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,663 posts

That depends on which religion. The more liberal types will admit they were wrong, that humans aren't special or possibly even that great in the grand scheme of things.

Where I agree with you is involving the more radical types. They're the ones like Ken Ham who believe that aliens can't exist, but if they do, they're godless, soulless abominations who can't be saved and who need to be killed and sent back to Hell with a few gigatons to spare. If they even accept that alien life could exist; some just say any ET is a demon. Basically, a Human Covenant. 

• Futurist and voluntaryist like this

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

Kemotx

Kemotx

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts
  • LocationWrocław
Well, when I used to be a fundamentalist Christian, people of my particular faith believed aliens from New Age beliefs, like Sheldan Nidle and such would come to Earth, but they would actually be demons. They had no problems with alien life at all, they believed that human/alien hybrids and nephilim are cloned in underground bases. If we would be contacted by advanced aliens, it could take decades before they would stop calling them demons.

Now as for the microbial or animal life, most Christians would probably accept that God created life on other planets too, just not intelligent one.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,663 posts

Well, when I used to be a fundamentalist Christian, people of my particular faith believed aliens from New Age beliefs, like Sheldan Nidle and such would come to Earth, but they would actually be demons. They had no problems with alien life at all, they believed that human/alien hybrids and nephilim are cloned in underground bases. If we would be contacted by advanced aliens, it could take decades before they would stop calling them demons.

I've heard the Nephilum myths as well, and that's what I was referencing earlier.

Same with the ones who'd say God created life on other planets. Christians, in fact all religious people, are very good at conforming their beliefs to the modern world. It's the rocks that refuse to budge from ultrafundamentalism that would act the worst, calling all non-human intelligences Satan's spawn to keep their beliefs intact. Or, alternately, already believe aliens exist but are demons.

I doubt some people would ever stop calling them demons. Not just religion, but secular entertainment has made sure of that.

Unity

Unity

Information Organism

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,477 posts
http://www.scientifi...-save-klingons/

Cosmic Cat

Cosmic Cat

Hibernating

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,345 posts
  • Location-

Islam won't budge. In fact there is a line that does not give importance to humans at all and hints towards more important aspects, it's my favorite Ayah in the Quran:

“Assuredly the creation of the heavens and the earth is a greater (matter) than the creation of men; yet most men understand not” (40:57).

There is also this one that gives a big hint towards extraterrestrial life:

"And among His Signs is the creation of the heavens and the earth, and the living creatures that He has scattered through them: and He has power to gather them together when He wills." (42:29)

Here's a good video on the topic from a respected Islamic Scholar, take note what he says at the end. Islamic intellectuals are philosophical thinkers; better than any Christian intellectual in America. Shame the majority of Muslims do not partake into intellectual activities.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,663 posts
Muslims are lucky in that case. The scholar part.

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • 12,190 posts

of course in Islam is written in the Quaran that we are not alone in the universe. The Vatican a few years ago stated that aliens could exist and they may want to convert them to Christianity. 

TheComrade

TheComrade

BANNED

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,642 posts

of course in Islam is written in the Quaran that we are not alone in the universe. The Vatican a few years ago stated that aliens could exist and they may want to convert them to Christianity. 

128_10_02_10_10_35_44.jpeg

...and speaking seriously, i suspect christianity (as well as other world religions) will fade away long before we'll meet someone who may be baptized. But if this (contact with aliens) will happen tomorrow, i think religion will adapt with no big problems. As far as i remember, Jesus himself said something like "there are many rooms in my father's house..." what may easily be interpreted as "Jesus' prophecy about aliens" as soon as those aliens will be found.

===

Edit (found this verse):

"In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you." (John 14:2)

jamesgera

jamesgera

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,376 posts
They will adapt but religion will take a big hit

GenX

GenX

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,045 posts
  • LocationSo Cal

Well, I'm a devout Christian, and so I can tell you that 1) there is nothing in the Bible that says that God didn't create alien life.  The Bible only tells us what we need to know for human living on Earth, and 2) that if we did ever come into contact with aliens, most evangelical Christians will assume that they are actually demons / fallen angels masquerading as aliens.  However, the Vatican, as mentioned previously, says that aliens probably do exist so Catholics wouldn't have a problem with it. 

The only thing we ever want is more

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: UFOs, aliens, extraterrestrials, religion, dogma, Christianity, Buddhism, humans, culture, first contact

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users