Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Getting rid of that 2082 U.S. secession of territory to Mexico part

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

Futurist

Futurist

Aspiring cross-dresser

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,802 posts
  • LocationSouthern California, United States of America, Planet Earth

I hate to be a nuisance, but I strongly think that this prediction should be gotten rid of: http://www.futuretim...o-usa-territory

After all, I would think that most Hispanics and Latinos in the U.S. will eventually integrate and assimilate into mainstream American culture and society (if they have not done so already, that is). Plus, in addition, I am extremely skeptical that the U.S. will voluntarily give up any territory considering that it went to war and won the last time that someone (in this case, the Confederates) tried making the U.S. lose some of its own territory.

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,326 posts

Hope you're right. ;)

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • 22,221 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA
It would be hilarious if this one came true.

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

OrbitalResonance

OrbitalResonance

Cosmic Emperor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,233 posts
  • LocationDeep Space

i think Texas would become its own country rather than just switching

We make our world significant by the courage of our questions and the depth of our answers. - Carl Sagan

Futurist

Futurist

Aspiring cross-dresser

• Members
  • 5,802 posts

i think Texas would become its own country rather than just switching

Agreed, but I think that it is much more likely that Texas would remain a part of the U.S.

Futurist

Futurist

Aspiring cross-dresser

• Members
  • 5,802 posts

In my honest opinion, Russia and/or China conquering the U.S. is much more likely to occur than this prediction.

Jakob

Jakob

Stable Genius

• Members
  • 6,158 posts

In my honest opinion, Russia and/or China conquering the U.S. is much more likely to occur than this prediction.

Which is very unlikely. The US will still be a superpower and only a fool would attack a superpower. They would also have the advantage of fighting on their own soil (it's always easier to defend than to conquer, all other factors being equal) and presumably many countries would flock to their aid.

Anyway, I can't really see this prediction happening. If anything, perhaps the reverse will happen (we have a recent thread on that).

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • 22,221 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

Which is why it would be hilarious.

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

Futurist

Futurist

Aspiring cross-dresser

• Members
  • 5,802 posts

Which is very unlikely.

Exactly--hence my point here.

TheComrade

TheComrade

BANNED

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,642 posts

Which is very unlikely. The US will still be a superpower and only a fool would attack a superpower.

Very unlikely, but not impossible. If i lived, say, in 1975, i'd also said that collapse of USSR is very unlikely (almost impossible) thing. But human history is much more unpredictable than it appears. In this case we have 2082 - 2014 = 68 years (!!!) ahead. A lot of time, a lot of interesting things may happen... Of course, this loss of territory (if it will ever happen) will not be the result of Mexican conquest, it will likely be the result of deep economic and social crisis, combined with weak government and growing separatists moods.

===

PS There was already similar thread, if my memory serves...

Futurist

Futurist

Aspiring cross-dresser

• Members
  • 5,802 posts

PS There was already similar thread, if my memory serves...

Yes, but this prediction still remains in this TL, which is why I created another thread about this.

OrbitalResonance

OrbitalResonance

Cosmic Emperor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,233 posts
  • LocationDeep Space

Which is very unlikely. The US will still be a superpower and only a fool would attack a superpower.

Very unlikely, but not impossible. If i lived, say, in 1975, i'd also said that collapse of USSR is very unlikely (almost impossible) thing. But human history is much more unpredictable than it appears. In this case we have 2082 - 2014 = 68 years (!!!) ahead. A lot of time, a lot of interesting things may happen... 

very much true

the past is an inevitable thing when viewed from the present

We make our world significant by the courage of our questions and the depth of our answers. - Carl Sagan

joe00uk

joe00uk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,077 posts
  • LocationUK

Do you think that by 2082 there'll be plans being drawn up and discussions being held about a North American Union? Or not quite yet, closer to the FT official prediction of c. 2140?

Jakob

Jakob

Stable Genius

• Members
  • 6,158 posts

Do you think that by 2082 there'll be plans being drawn up and discussions being held about a North American Union? Or not quite yet, closer to the FT official prediction of c. 2140?

It will probably be closer to the official FT prediction.

Futurist

Futurist

Aspiring cross-dresser

• Members
  • 5,802 posts

It will probably be closer to the official FT prediction.

Agreed.

Futurist

Futurist

Aspiring cross-dresser

• Members
  • 5,802 posts

Very unlikely, but not impossible. If i lived, say, in 1975, i'd also said that collapse of USSR is very unlikely (almost impossible) thing. But human history is much more unpredictable than it appears. In this case we have 2082 - 2014 = 68 years (!!!) ahead. A lot of time, a lot of interesting things may happen... 

very much true

the past is an inevitable thing when viewed from the present

This is correct in some cases, but not in all cases. For instance, French political theorist Alexis de Tocqueville predicted that a Cold War between the U.S. and Russia would eventually occur over a century in advance:

http://www.bartleby.com/73/2045.html

"There are now two great nations in the world which, starting from different points, seem to be advancing toward the same goal: the Russians and the Anglo-Americans. Both have grown in obscurity, and while the world’s attention was occupied elsewhere, they have suddenly taken their place among the leading nations, making the world take note of their birth and of their greatness almost at the same instant. All other peoples seem to have nearly reached their natural limits and to need nothing but to preserve them; but these two are growing…. The American fights against natural obstacles; the Russian is at grips with men. The former combats the wilderness and barbarism; the latter, civilization with all its arms. America’s conquests are made with the plowshare, Russia’s with the sword. To attain their aims, the former relies on personal interest and gives free scope to the unguided strength and common sense of individuals. The latter in a sense concentrates the whole power of society in one man. One has freedom as the principal means of action; the other has servitude. Their point of departure is different and their paths diverse; nevertheless, each seems called by some secret desire of Providence one day to hold in its hands the destinies of half the world."

Futurist

Futurist

Aspiring cross-dresser

• Members
  • 5,802 posts

Let's seriously hope that Mr. Fox sees this thread. :)

Lunix688

Lunix688

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Not sure why the U.S would give two of it's most populous and economically important states ( California and Texas )

Future population projections 2050:

California: 52 million

Texas; 37 million

Also, it's unlikely that these states will not be the two largest economies in the U.S in 2082, as even factoring in climate change/migrations, both California and Texas still have ample resources and land. 

It would be the absolute stupidest move EVER by a country to give up California, Texas, Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico, etc. 

"Liberterianism is a mental disease. A national health crisis and a threat to the future of this country...Worse than the threat from terrorism, asteroids, disease and yes global warming.
It is mindless anti-government idiocy. If it isn't turned back I predict the end of this country as a world power. Simply put the need to educate our entire population like any sane country is sen as wrong by the cult that practice this foolish idiocy. So is simple workers rights, child labor and every other sane policy of the modern world."
-Matthew

"The man who does not value himself, cannot value anything or anyone.”
-Ayn Rand, The Virtue of Selfishness: A New Concept of Egoism
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"The world runs on individuals pursuing their self interests. The great achievements of civilization have not come from government bureaus. Einstein didn't construct his theory under order from a, from a bureaucrat. Henry Ford didn't revolutionize the automobile industry that way."
-Milton Friedman

Futurist

Futurist

Aspiring cross-dresser

• Members
  • 5,802 posts

Not sure why the U.S would give two of it's most populous and economically important states ( California and Texas )

Future population projections 2050:

California: 52 million

Texas; 37 million

Also, it's unlikely that these states will not be the two largest economies in the U.S in 2082, as even factoring in climate change/migrations, both California and Texas still have ample resources and land. 

It would be the absolute stupidest move EVER by a country to give up California, Texas, Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico, etc. 

Completely agreed! :)

Heck, even Mexico refused to voluntarily sell these territories to the U.S. back in the 1840s (the sale which actually occurred was the result of the U.S. defeating Mexico in a war between 1846 and 1848).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users