Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Shoutbox

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Cosmic Cat

Cosmic Cat

Hibernating

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,345 posts
  • Location-

https://web.archive....line.net/forum/

We had a shoutbox and I was wondering if we could bring it back. It allows for live talk without the repetitive refreshing, and it seems fun.

Italian UFO (the top poster, with over 1000 posts) still hasn't joined. I've seen him on Facebook though, and I know he was travelling/busy recently. There's also a girl called Miss Tomorrow (6th highest post count), and a couple of other regulars. But I'm sure we'll see them eventually.

Italian is still top poster. Impressive.

Yeah hopefully that works out for us and we convert a decent number of them to registered users. I'm honouring the clause of their membership in which they could opt out of receiving administrator emails from the forum, so not sure on exact numbers yet, but I'm certain the subject matter of this site will appeal to many of them. We should have the database extraction complete soon enabling the mass mail to happen.

Caiman, you must be proud of your creation. Funnily enough, in 2011, I was 12 years old. I was a brat. Now look upon me, thinking about philosophy.

Indeed, it's been a phenomenal start. I am genuinely surprised at how well the new forum's taking off. If it's like this now, just imagine what it could be like in the next couple of days when Jon invites 9000 other members...

wjfox was too optimistic.

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,190 posts

Thank you CC. This could be my last year as a top poster. I predict that by early 2016 someone else will finally take my place. I will happy to pass the torch. Anyway i am trying to return to a forum mentality pre- 2012. My posts were much more concise then. Maybe this could have been also due to the fact that things used to be  very slow here. In all seriousness in 2010-11  there could be no sign of activities even for 2 or 4 days. I remember I was in my room on campus one Saturday  and I said to myself I wish this place was much more active, the future is fantastic. "I must also recognized that I was more optimistic then and eventually even more bold."

I also have a question about web archives. org- does this site store every forum on internet automatically ? or you have to upload them ?

Cosmic Cat

Cosmic Cat

Hibernating

• Validating
  • 4,345 posts
  • Location-
They store almost every website. They have hundreds of millions of saved web pages.

Caiman

Caiman

Funky Duck

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts
  • LocationManchester, England

Never did get that database extraction to invite 9,000 users of an old forum, so we've just had to grow the old fashioned way!

I don't think there is currently a safe shoutbox modification for this forum software right now but I will look into it (I had to remove it previously due to exploits which could be executed through it).

~Jon

Jakob

Jakob

Stable Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,158 posts

They store almost every website. They have hundreds of millions of saved web pages.

Archive.org is wonderful. I'm just sad that I can't view archived versions of the sacred list.

Cosmic Cat

Cosmic Cat

Hibernating

• Validating
  • 4,345 posts
  • Location-

Archive.org is wonderful. I'm just sad that I can't view archived versions of the sacred list.

I use it often to read old books and historian accounts. For the dice roll history game I made, I had to use google translate to get the proper accounts. I really love archive as well.

PrimordialBeing

PrimordialBeing

Why are you bothering to look at this? Go read my post.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,468 posts
A shoutbox would be lovely. It's a nice idea.

Caiman, what exactly was unsafe about the previous shoutbox?
"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for life" -Terry Pratchett
"And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you"-Friedrich Nietzsche
"The biggest risk is not taking any risk.. In a world that is changing quickly, the only strategy that is guaranteed to fail is not taking risks* - Mark Zuckerberg

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,190 posts

i remember it was toxic... lots of spammers and a way to attract spammers 

OrbitalResonance

OrbitalResonance

Cosmic Emperor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,233 posts
  • LocationDeep Space

i would love to shout at all of you

We make our world significant by the courage of our questions and the depth of our answers. - Carl Sagan

Jakob

Jakob

Stable Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,158 posts

i would love to shout at all of you

IT'S POSSIBLE TO SHOUT WITHOUT A SHOUTBOX!.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users