Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

“Glowing” new nanotechnology guides cancer surgery

nanotechnology cancer phototherapy

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,583 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA
“Glowing” new nanotechnology guides cancer surgery

http://app.rdmag.com...-cancer-surgery

Researchers at Oregon State Univ. (OSU) have developed a new way to selectively insert compounds into cancer cells—a system that will help surgeons identify malignant tissues and then, in combination with phototherapy, kill any remaining cancer cells after a tumor is removed.

It’s about as simple as, “If it glows, cut it out.” And if a few malignant cells remain, they’ll soon die.

The findings, published in Nanoscale, have shown remarkable success in laboratory animals. The concept should allow more accurate surgical removal of solid tumors at the same time it eradicates any remaining cancer cells. In laboratory tests, it completely prevented cancer recurrence after phototherapy.

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,010 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

It is a great advance but not the holy grail... yet.

What are you without the sum of your parts?

Lily

Lily

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts
  • LocationBerlin

Oh I hope we'll see such things and much more in the next few years. I'd love to have better equipment once I get to work on the wards. People in the future will talk about our current medical treatments and will call them barbaric, unrefined and just plain insufficient.

"All scientific advancement due to intellegence overcoming, compensating, for limitations. Can't carry a load, so invent wheel. Can't catch food, so invent spear. Limitations. No limitations, no advancement. No advancement, culture stagnates. Works other way too. Advancement before culture is ready. Disastrous."

There's definitely truth in that...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nanotechnology, cancer, phototherapy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users