Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The Microsoft HoloLens

virtual reality augmented reality transhumanism Microsoft future 2015

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,869 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

WELCOME TO THE FUTURE™

How many times do I have to say it?

Microsoft's ad

An IGN trailer displaying its capabilities

That's the most shockingly awsome thing I've ever seen.

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,869 posts

The Verge's take on it

The live event the other day

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

Zaphod

Zaphod

Esteemed Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 810 posts
  • LocationUK

Finally Microsoft is doing something cool. Google, Facebook, Samsung, Sony and now Microsoft. The VR headset is attracting all of the big players. The next few years will be exciting.

Cosmic Cat

Cosmic Cat

Hibernating

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,345 posts
  • Location-

It will only be a matter of time before I meet you Emi.

My Emi...

Spoiler

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,869 posts
Meh, for Dota, it's either FIVR or a robot.

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,929 posts
  • LocationLondon

Microsoft HoloLens engineer Mike Ey killed in tragic hit-and-run incident

March 5, 2015 09:13 GMT

Microsoft engineer Mike Ey was killed in a hit-and-run accident this past Saturday (28 February, 2015). The 30-year-old had been working on the Redmond company's futuristic new augmented and virtual reality headset, HoloLens.

http://www.ibtimes.c...ncident-1490568

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,869 posts

Microsoft HoloLens engineer Mike Ey killed in tragic hit-and-run incident

March 5, 2015 09:13 GMT

Microsoft engineer Mike Ey was killed in a hit-and-run accident this past Saturday (28 February, 2015). The 30-year-old had been working on the Redmond company's futuristic new augmented and virtual reality headset, HoloLens.

http://www.ibtimes.c...ncident-1490568

I know, isn't that odd that two major VR developers (I believe someone from Oculus) have died in accidents? "Accidents?"

Eterion

Eterion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationCzech Republic, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Observable Universe

I sure hope there isn't some kind of "we hate everything we don't understand" or "we hate new things" organization. Oh wait, that's organized religion. Nevermind.

I'm not a big fan of headset in this case - that means augmented reality, not virual reality. It would be ok outside I guess, but in house, I would rather have the room equiped with holoemitters than wearing headset. Looks cool though.

Zaphod

Zaphod

Esteemed Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 810 posts
  • LocationUK

Zaphod

Zaphod

Esteemed Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 810 posts
  • LocationUK

• Yuli Ban likes this

GenX

GenX

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,045 posts
  • LocationSo Cal

I sure hope there isn't some kind of "we hate everything we don't understand" or "we hate new things" organization. Oh wait, that's organized religion. Nevermind.

I'm not a big fan of headset in this case - that means augmented reality, not virual reality. It would be ok outside I guess, but in house, I would rather have the room equiped with holoemitters than wearing headset. Looks cool though.

HoloLens is both, augmented reality and virtual reality.

It looks cool, but I don't really trust Microsoft.  I have a feeling it will have a ton of bugs and be prone to viruses just like their software is.

The only thing we ever want is more

Lunix688

Lunix688

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts
  • LocationUnited States

I love the idea, but do you think it will be a success? I can't picture people wearing these in public.. I can picture people wearing them at home potentially, but I fear that this may get shrugged off as 'nerdy' and 'odd'. I hope I'm wrong. 

"Liberterianism is a mental disease. A national health crisis and a threat to the future of this country...Worse than the threat from terrorism, asteroids, disease and yes global warming.
It is mindless anti-government idiocy. If it isn't turned back I predict the end of this country as a world power. Simply put the need to educate our entire population like any sane country is sen as wrong by the cult that practice this foolish idiocy. So is simple workers rights, child labor and every other sane policy of the modern world."
-Matthew

"The man who does not value himself, cannot value anything or anyone.”
-Ayn Rand, The Virtue of Selfishness: A New Concept of Egoism
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"The world runs on individuals pursuing their self interests. The great achievements of civilization have not come from government bureaus. Einstein didn't construct his theory under order from a, from a bureaucrat. Henry Ford didn't revolutionize the automobile industry that way."
-Milton Friedman

Lunix688

Lunix688

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts
  • LocationUnited States

I think it will be used widely in architecture, medicine, and for business though - but am skeptical if consumers will purchase them :/ 

"Liberterianism is a mental disease. A national health crisis and a threat to the future of this country...Worse than the threat from terrorism, asteroids, disease and yes global warming.
It is mindless anti-government idiocy. If it isn't turned back I predict the end of this country as a world power. Simply put the need to educate our entire population like any sane country is sen as wrong by the cult that practice this foolish idiocy. So is simple workers rights, child labor and every other sane policy of the modern world."
-Matthew

"The man who does not value himself, cannot value anything or anyone.”
-Ayn Rand, The Virtue of Selfishness: A New Concept of Egoism
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"The world runs on individuals pursuing their self interests. The great achievements of civilization have not come from government bureaus. Einstein didn't construct his theory under order from a, from a bureaucrat. Henry Ford didn't revolutionize the automobile industry that way."
-Milton Friedman

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,869 posts

HoloLens is both, augmented reality and virtual reality.

It looks cool, but I don't really trust Microsoft.  I have a feeling it will have a ton of bugs and be prone to viruses just like their software is.

Unsure at this point. The Xbone debacle is what made me distrust them.

I think it will be used widely in architecture, medicine, and for business though - but am skeptical if consumers will purchase them :/ 

Some consumers definitely will (such as moi); it'll take some time (and prettying up) for it to go mainstream.

People fall back on the Google [Gl]ass disaster, but here's the problem with Google [Gl]ass— it's ugly and it's useless. The design sucked; you pretty much had a clear thumb drive stuck in front of yuppie shades. And that was definitely augmented reality, but it was about the lowest end AR you can go before you stick a watch in front of your eyes. And how do you use these things? To me, that's the deal breaker, and is why I'll probably stick to only one AR headset for a few decades. Google [Gl]ass had you talking to yourself like a schizophrenic. No, no, no, wrong. BCI, hand gestures, or nothing. By the way, it's a thumb drive in front of your eyes, right? So... how useful is that going to be, really? It's too much for someone who doesn't need to use AR, and it's not enough for someone who wants to use AR.

God Christ, I've got to stop before I go on a 10 page rant...

GenX

GenX

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,045 posts
  • LocationSo Cal

I wonder what the ads in AR will be like.  Can you imagine using your AR headset and then a pop-up ad comes up?  You look at your fridge with the hololens on and all of a sudden you see a sign on your fridge that says "Why not enjoy a refreshing Coca-Cola?" or something like that?  Will AR be like the "free" apps on your phone that you can pay for and remove all of the ads?  

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,869 posts

I wonder what the ads in AR will be like.  Can you imagine using your AR headset and then a pop-up ad comes up?  You look at your fridge with the hololens on and all of a sudden you see a sign on your fridge that says "Why not enjoy a refreshing Coca-Cola?" or something like that?  Will AR be like the "free" apps on your phone that you can pay for and remove all of the ads?

Well here's the thing, man. They pull that shit, consumers will set their HQ alight. There's a difference between pop-ups on a screen, and pop-ups literally a centimeter from your eyes. The first one gets old after one pop-up. The second one gets old before it happens.

GenX

GenX

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,045 posts
  • LocationSo Cal

Well here's the thing, man. They pull that shit, consumers will set their HQ alight. There's a difference between pop-ups on a screen, and pop-ups literally a centimeter from your eyes. The first one gets old after one pop-up. The second one gets old before it happens.

I don't know.  I've worked with the public for almost 20 years and I'm always amazed at the kinds of things they will accept.  And then you get something that doesn't seem to be any more outrageous then anything else that's out there and the public randomly freaks out (like when Netflix was going to split in two, or the recent thing with the coffee machines that will only work if you buy that companies coffee).  I guarantee you that companies will try to get their ads in there the same way that they do on webpages.  Once it becomes really common then I could see dedicated spaces that are really blank in real life (like say a blank billboard on the side of the freeway) but since most driver's are wearing AR glasses they will see a personalized ad on that billboard.  I imagine AR will start out ad-free until it catches on, but I bet it doesn't take long for ads to start showing up somewhere once it's popular.  

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,869 posts

I'll contend that it might work in some cases. But expect AdBlock Lens (LensBlock?) to be a hot thing whenever it starts.

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,929 posts
  • LocationLondon

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,869 posts

Oh cool. This just confirms this was once MetaPro's Space Glasses, of course.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: virtual reality, augmented reality, transhumanism, Microsoft, future, 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users