Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Further issues after the downtime + Like function restored

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

Caiman

Caiman

Funky Duck

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts
  • LocationManchester, England

Sorry for the extended downtime, bloody database...

Please let me know should you encounter any database errors etc, by posting in this thread, thanks!

Oh, I've managed to get the Like function up and running again... for now!

~Jon

Caiman

Caiman

Funky Duck

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts

This is a test response to ensure the Like function is not causing any issues with replies...

~Jon

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,287 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

This is a test response to ensure the Like function is not causing any issues with replies...

Testing this reply...

What are you without the sum of your parts?

Raklian

Raklian

• Moderators
  • 7,287 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Looks ok to me

Cosmic Cat

Cosmic Cat

Hibernating

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,345 posts
  • Location-

Caiman likes Caiman's post! Witchcraft! Burn the evil Satan disciple sorcerer! Heretic! Devil worshiper!

EDIT:

Wait, I can do it too. Could we always do this? Anyways, I'm going to up my like:post ratio.

EDIT by Raklian:

Disregard Cosmic's self-like.... it shouldn't possibly be there for it is equivalent to violating the Law of Conservation! 

Only Caiman should do this because he is God in here!

EDIT 3:

I feel violated.

Caiman

Caiman

Funky Duck

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts

Oops.

~Jon

PrimordialBeing

PrimordialBeing

Why are you bothering to look at this? Go read my post.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,468 posts
Now I can popularise myself!!

Edit: Never mind. It was fixed.

Thanks for getting this place up and running again. I missed it, and had slight withdrawal problems, like that one time with the, actually, forget I said anything.

Out of curiosity, what causes the forums to crash? Is it the host's fault, and if so, would it be difficult to move to a more reliable server?
"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for life" -Terry Pratchett
"And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you"-Friedrich Nietzsche
"The biggest risk is not taking any risk.. In a world that is changing quickly, the only strategy that is guaranteed to fail is not taking risks* - Mark Zuckerberg

Caiman

Caiman

Funky Duck

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts

Fraid not ;)

~Jon

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,575 posts
  • LocationLondon

Sorry for the extended downtime, bloody database...

Please let me know should you encounter any database errors etc, by posting in this thread, thanks!

Oh, I've managed to get the Like function up and running again... for now!

Thanks Jon. :) Much appreciated.

PrimordialBeing

PrimordialBeing

• Members
  • 2,468 posts

Fraid not ;)

See edit
"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for life" -Terry Pratchett
"And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you"-Friedrich Nietzsche
"The biggest risk is not taking any risk.. In a world that is changing quickly, the only strategy that is guaranteed to fail is not taking risks* - Mark Zuckerberg

Caiman

Caiman

Funky Duck

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts

Thanks for getting this place up and running again. I missed it, and had slight withdrawal problems, like that one time with the, actually, forget I said anything.

Out of curiosity, what causes the forums to crash? Is it the host's fault, and if so, would it be difficult to move to a more reliable server?

Various things, sometimes it is related to traffic on the main site which may impact server stability and cause a table to crash (and a simple repair table command usually sorts that), other times it is just stray code caused by injection issues when things are being inserted into the database etc. I can run some diagnostic functions to track it down normally but in this case that wasn't helping so had to spend some time manually checking every single table in the database until I found the problem... which was fun :/

~Jon

Cosmic Cat

Cosmic Cat

Hibernating

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,345 posts
  • Location-

Fraid not ;)

Now I can brag that I'm one of the only two who have liked their own posts. You hear that Italian! I liked my own post! Sure beats 11,000 posts now does it!

Spoiler

Raklian

Raklian

• Moderators
  • 7,287 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Fraid not ;)

Now I can brag that I'm one of the only two who have liked their own posts. You hear that Italian! I liked my own post! Sure beats 11,000 posts now does it!

Spoiler

See your second edit to the post which you self-liked. :)

PrimordialBeing

PrimordialBeing

• Members
  • 2,468 posts

Various things, sometimes it is related to traffic on the main site which may impact server stability and cause a table to crash (and a simple repair table command usually sorts that), other times it is just stray code caused by injection issues when things are being inserted into the database etc. I can run some diagnostic functions to track it down normally but in this case that wasn't helping so had to spend some time manually checking every single table in the database until I found the problem... which was fun :/

Is there much that can be done to improve the situation?

Jakob

Jakob

Stable Genius

• Members
  • 6,158 posts

Can I like this post?

nvm, can someone else?

Edited by Jakob, 29 January 2015 - 10:38 PM.

Caiman

Caiman

Funky Duck

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts

I'm looking at a few things, the database could probably do with some TLC, it's been filling up for almost 4 years now with minimal maintenance. We'll probably upgrade the forum software soon, the latest release is currently in beta testing but I will be waiting for the Gold release before upgrading- that should help bring things more up to date and give me an opportunity to tidy things up.

~Jon

PrimordialBeing

PrimordialBeing

• Members
  • 2,468 posts

I'm looking at a few things, the database could probably do with some TLC, it's been filling up for almost 4 years now with minimal maintenance. We'll probably upgrade the forum software soon, the latest release is currently in beta testing but I will be waiting for the Gold release before upgrading- that should help bring things more up to date and give me an opportunity to tidy things up.

Best of luck to you in tidying everything up. You might need it

Mute

Mute

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

I've noticed a bug in which the most recent post displayed on the front page for each individual forum actually shows the second most recent post from that thread, not the latest. (Edit: At least, for a few forums, not all of them.)

And thank you for your hard work getting the forum back up and running! It is much appreciated. =)

Haru

Haru

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Nvm

TheComrade

TheComrade

BANNED

• Banned
  • 2,642 posts

My post count was 950, now it is 955. Is that because off-topic posts are counting as usual? This is RIGHT decision.

EDIT: no, off-topic posts aren't counting, as it turned out...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users