Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Holographic Versatile Disc (HVD) - 6TB storage, 4320p video

Archival Disc UHD 1TB Sony 4K 2015

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

Poll: Holographic Versatile Disc (HVD) - 6TB storage, 4320p video (39 member(s) have cast votes)

Which format will you go up to?

1. DVD (480p SD) (3 votes [7.69%])

Percentage of vote: 7.69%

2. Blu-ray (1080p HD) (5 votes [12.82%])

Percentage of vote: 12.82%

3. Archival Disc (2160p UHD) (31 votes [79.49%])

Percentage of vote: 79.49%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Nick1984

Nick1984

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts
  • LocationUK

Media Type - Ultra-high density optical disc Encoding - MPEG-2, MPEG-4 AVC (H.264), NGVC (H.265), VC-1 Capacity - 1TB Developer - Sony, Panasonic Usage - Data storage, High-Definition video, Quad HD video, Ultra HD video Rumoured launch - Q2 2015  

Nick1984

Nick1984

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts
  • LocationUK
Personally I think Blu-ray/1080p is the most we'll ever need for TV screens up to 40", and I don't think I'll ever want a TV over 40". However, the possibility of having digital copies of films in their original resolution (35mm film, which has been the standard for movies since 1892) is an offer that can't be refused. We'll also see new 4320p TVs launch alongside the discs, however the TV broadcasts (aerial, cable, satellite) will only be 2160p HDTV = 1080p disc, 720p broadcast UHDTV = 4320p disc, 2160p broadcast

GNR Rvolution

GNR Rvolution

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts
  • LocationLondon
I'm fairly convinced that this type of media may have had it's day. With everything up on the cloud these days you can access whatever you want without needing physical media. Yes, streaming HVD level resolution is going to be difficult with current broadband technology but I would think that even fibre optic broadband could overcome this. I refused to go to Blu-ray, and I doubt I will go to any other media type when I can simply download or stream what I want...
All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer.

Nick1984

Nick1984

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts
  • LocationUK
I think HVD will have an audiance as people will always want physical media. I don't think both Blu-ray and HVD will ever be as popular as DVD was as downloads/streaming have taken a chunk out of that market, however Blu-ray sales are rapidly growing while DVD sales are in decline.

GNR Rvolution

GNR Rvolution

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts
  • LocationLondon
I'm not sure about always wanting physical media, 20 or 30 years from now I think that it may be something of a relic. But yes for now people will still want the materialistic attachment that comes with owning a physical object, but if I think about music for example I can't remember the last time I actually bought a CD.
All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer.

Time_Traveller

Time_Traveller

Master of Time Travel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,158 posts
  • LocationThe Sol System, 7 Billion C.E.
I think we'll have this technology but not for at least 50 years though, but me really good to have.

“One, remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Two, never give up work. Work gives you meaning and purpose and life is empty without it. Three, if you are lucky enough to find love, remember it is there and don't throw it away.”

Stephen Hawking

Nick1984

Nick1984

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts
  • LocationUK

I think we'll have this technology but not for at least 50 years though, but me really good to have.

We're looking at around 2016 for the launch of the TVs and discs. Or are you getting confused with Holographic TV?

HVD has nothing to do with Holographic TV.

Prolite

Prolite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

What technology?
I'm a business man, that's all you need to know about me.

Prolite

Prolite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
We'll have holographic TV in 20 years or less.
I'm a business man, that's all you need to know about me.

Nick1984

Nick1984

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts
  • LocationUK
Again, this has absolutely nothing to do with Holographic TV. The use of the word 'holographic' is purely coincidental. HVD is to Blu-ray what Blu-ray is to DVD.

classical piano guy

classical piano guy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
HVD will most likely be the last type of physical media to attain any sort of widespread popularity. My guess is that it's primary usage will be PC and (later generation) PS4 games -- and of course, UHD (although, mainly due to fiscal considerations, HVD movies will never fully surpass their Blu-ray counterparts). It is important to note, however, exponentially increasing internet speeds will render HVD unnecessary in no more than 10 years, so I intend to stick to streaming.

Nick1984

Nick1984

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts
  • LocationUK
The PS4 situation is interesting, theyve always brought a new disc format (PS1 CD, PS2 DVD, PS3 Blu-ray). If the PS4 launches late-2014, and HVD movies launch mid-2016, I wonder if they'll just include the HVD drive to make it future proof?

jjf3

jjf3

Not a Member of the Tea Party! Just a Concerned Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,046 posts
  • LocationHolmdel NJ/Tampa Fl

I'm fairly convinced that this type of media may have had it's day. With everything up on the cloud these days you can access whatever you want without needing physical media. Yes, streaming HVD level resolution is going to be difficult with current broadband technology but I would think that even fibre optic broadband could overcome this. I refused to go to Blu-ray, and I doubt I will go to any other media type when I can simply download or stream what I want...

I have to agree. I haven't used or bought a DVD since I entered College. I have never "bought" a music Album. I don't own a DVD player or a Cable Box. Probably never will. Digital content is readily available online. Netflix and iTunes possibly even Amazon has great content delivery options. Huge libraries full of things to pick from. All for a few bucks. All that the web is missing currently is for somebody (like Netflix) to create an iTunes for movies and TV. Netflix barely has everything and open source borderline illegal alternatives keep up way better with content.

Investors love advancing cloud technology. I haven't heard many investments being done for Discs.
"Did you really expect some utopian fantasy to rise from the ashes?" Thomas Zarek-- Battlestar Galactica.

Dead Redshirt

Dead Redshirt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts
I'm confused by the poll. Something like this is inevitable. If HDV ends up being anadopted format, then yes, I'd go for it. So, I don't think it's a question of what I'd end up to, but rather what the industry will go for. I thought that HD-DVD was a better name for a format than Blu-Ray as at least you could tell what it was just by the name, but Blu-Ray won out, and I think the name is part of the reason for its slow adoption rate. It's certainly possible another format comes along, but it's too early to tell at this point.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. - Jack Layton - 1950 - 2011

Deadbolt

Deadbolt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts
Physical media is important, because people like responsibility for their own stuff. I don't want stuff to be stored somewhere else where the servers can get messed up.
NO!

sirhotalot

sirhotalot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
We'll all move on to HVD, just like we moved from DVD to blu-ray. HVD may be the last of the optical storage media though, we're moving towards digital storage. Everything will be streamed or downloaded. Maybe, we like physical objects. It gives a sense of security and ownership. We may get over that though, newer generations don't care so much. Or we may find a way around that because of electronic paper, we can buy cases that have changing labels. So we can download the media and then have the cover art displayed on a case. Or we'll have touch surfaces, we can just display all the media covers on a wall.

Nick1984

Nick1984

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts
  • LocationUK
Now there's an idea, imagine how only have to wallpaper your house once, you can then change the wallpaper pattern by downloading it like a desktop background. I can see pixelled wallpaper and clothes being big in 10-20 years.

Nick1984

Nick1984

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts
  • LocationUK
The Hobbit being recorded in 3D, 5k resolution at 48 frames per second.

sirhotalot

sirhotalot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
5k is 5120 x 2700, for comparison UHD is 7,680 × 4,320 and IMAX is 10,000 × 7,000. They'll end up converting it down to a lower format after they're done with the special effects editing resulting in a slightly clearer image.

Nick1984

Nick1984

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts
  • LocationUK
Would anyone ever want to watch those studidly high resolutions at home? The size of TV's sold gets bigger every year, when does it stop? Will headsets need these stipudly high resolutions?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Archival Disc, UHD, 1TB, Sony, 4K, 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users