Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Holographic Versatile Disc (HVD) - 6TB storage, 4320p video

Archival Disc UHD 1TB Sony 4K 2015

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

Poll: Holographic Versatile Disc (HVD) - 6TB storage, 4320p video (39 member(s) have cast votes)

Which format will you go up to?

1. DVD (480p SD) (3 votes [7.69%])

Percentage of vote: 7.69%

2. Blu-ray (1080p HD) (5 votes [12.82%])

Percentage of vote: 12.82%

3. Archival Disc (2160p UHD) (31 votes [79.49%])

Percentage of vote: 79.49%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Nick1984

Nick1984

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts
  • LocationUK
http://www.engadget....-to-se/?m=false

Zachemc2

Zachemc2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
What about 69120p? Maybe we'll have eyes later this century that could take advantage of that.

Nick1984

Nick1984

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts
  • LocationUK

What about 69120p? Maybe we'll have eyes later this century that could take advantage of that.

Now that's just being silly

La Bodysnatcher

La Bodysnatcher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Now that's just being silly

You say that now, but in 30 years that will be the standard, just like how $300 personal computers will have exabytes of RAM and storage

When you say "this is overrated" do you mean "I think this sucks?"

When you say "the majority hate it" do you mean "I hate it?"

StanleyAlexander

StanleyAlexander

Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon, USA, Earth, 2063

^^^ Agreed.  There's no such thing as resolution overkill when the price keeps dropping.

Humanity's destiny is infinity

Thaizasaskand

Thaizasaskand

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

^There will only be so long before an increase in resolution makes no difference. Let's imagine that TV is broadcast in Super Hi-Vision and a new video codec has come along that can cut bitrate by 40%. Now, let's imagine that the codec is going to be adopted for TV broadcast nationwide. We could either increase the resolution, increase the bitrate of each TV channel or increase the number of channels. Given a that the resolution increase will not be beneficial, it is not worth increasing it. We could either increase the bitrate (if this provides a worthwhile visual benefit) or add some new channels.

As for the disc format/resolution point, I would go beyond 1080p to 2160/4320p - it would be noticable for big/close enough screens. I would not be interested in anything higher, however - it would require a massive amount of extra storage for what effectively provides no visual benefit.

CamGoldenGun

CamGoldenGun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts
  • LocationFort McMurray, AB. Canada.

I haven't read all the comments past the first few, so forgive me if someone has brought this up already... If someone wants physical media it's much easier carrying around a USB flash drive on a key chain (or future equivalent) then it is to have this jewel case the size of my hand or larger to fit antiquated CD dimensions...

Saradus

Saradus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts
  • LocationWales

Thaiza's right, at a certain point, the focus will shift to other variables that need improving rather than making a sharp resolution sharper. Sorta like when the focus shifted away from "bits" in consoles. Back in the 90s it was all about "ooh this console is the new 16-bit or 32-bit console!"

In the 00s it was no longer important.

All men dream but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible. - T. E. Lawrence

PrimordialBeing

PrimordialBeing

Why are you bothering to look at this? Go read my post.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,468 posts

Thaiza's right, at a certain point, the focus will shift to other variables that need improving rather than making a sharp resolution sharper. Sorta like when the focus shifted away from "bits" in consoles. Back in the 90s it was all about "ooh this console is the new 16-bit or 32-bit console!"   In the 00s it was no longer important.

Thing is, consoles could change to improvigng the strength of the processors and such, as they are essentially restricted computers. But what could TVs improve in, besides resolution? There just doesn't seem to as many things to work on, but then again, I am definitely no TV expert.
"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for life" -Terry Pratchett
"And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you"-Friedrich Nietzsche
"The biggest risk is not taking any risk.. In a world that is changing quickly, the only strategy that is guaranteed to fail is not taking risks* - Mark Zuckerberg

Saradus

Saradus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts
  • LocationWales

I'm no expert on tv hardware either, but I believe that quality and realism can be vastly improved by better contrast ratio (darks are dark, lights are light), so that's one possibility. There's also the fact that once we get to a certain resolution, there'll be paradigm shifts like holographic TV.

All men dream but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible. - T. E. Lawrence

PrimordialBeing

PrimordialBeing

Why are you bothering to look at this? Go read my post.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,468 posts
Didn't think about a paradigm shift. Although, what progress will be made until we have holographic TVs? I just can't foresee progress in TV hardware stagnating. Sorry if everything I say here is wrong, just don't know much about TV. I just watch stuff on them. I am to TVs what the elderly are to the Internet.
"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for life" -Terry Pratchett
"And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you"-Friedrich Nietzsche
"The biggest risk is not taking any risk.. In a world that is changing quickly, the only strategy that is guaranteed to fail is not taking risks* - Mark Zuckerberg

Zatetic

Zatetic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationLaunceston, Tasmania

I'm no expert on tv hardware either, but I believe that quality and realism can be vastly improved by better contrast ratio (darks are dark, lights are light), so that's one possibility. There's also the fact that once we get to a certain resolution, there'll be paradigm shifts like holographic TV.

OLED technology will vastly improve contrast ratio and refresh times. Although I agree that at a certain point resolution stops becoming the overwhelming goal of next generation televisions. I'm sure as a byproduct it will increase, but I dont think it will be the focal selling point after we hit 4k as it just isn't overly noticable. People will be more inclined to go for the slightly lower resolution tv that is thousands of dollars cheaper but still essentially realistic and crisp.

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow

I'd preffer higher frame rate over UHD.

"I walk alone and do no evil, having only a few wishes, just like an elephant in the forest."

"Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone."

Zatetic

Zatetic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationLaunceston, Tasmania

I'd preffer higher frame rate over UHD.

That is only beneficial up to a point though. Anything over 120hz is sort of bordering on pointless as an organic human eye cant keep up with it. Films like The Hobbit which were shot at 48fps are examples of how increased framerate isnt always a good thing. I personally found The Hobbit really unnaturally vivid. The framerate detracted from the darkness and costumes in a way. Which isnt so much a problem with technology as it is a problem with the costume department not having experience with high framerates. It made it look rather more fake (which is an absurd notion) than it would have if it were filmed at standard framerate.

Thaizasaskand

Thaizasaskand

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

Yes, an increase in e.g. contrast ratio would also help (improvements in static contrast ratio will be better than improvements in dynamic contrast ratio - I'll explain the difference at the bottom, for those who don't know what it is). My CRT TV from 1995 has great contrast ratio. Unfortunately, LCD manufacturers have a bit of a hard time achieving a brilliant contrast ratio (indeed, technology is improving, and the use of LED back-lighting can partially alleviate this issue (which is a problem with CCFL-backlit screens). Hopefully, OLED TVs will show some further improvements in this regard.

Static contrast ratio: the maximum amount of contrast between the lightest and darkest colour the TV is able to produce at a given time (i.e. if it is producing lots of bright whites and has a low static contrast ratio, the blacks won't be very dark). This is the more important of the two.

Dynamic contrast ratio: the maximum amount of contrast  between the lightest and darkest colour that the TV is able to produce, regardless of time (i.e. brightest white at one point, then darkest black two minutes later). This is important, but not as much as static contrast ratio. If the specifications in the shop/on the website say something incredibly large, i.e. 2000000:1, they'll be referring to this.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,059 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA
Bumping this because the 8k TV made me think– say we reach a point where resolution increase could only be noticed by augmented eyes. My aunt has an internet TV, where you can pick and choose channels and internet services such as YouTube and hulu. At what point would you begin opting for power and frame rate over resolution? I'm sure graphene will allow petabyte discs and 50k res by the end of the decade.

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,059 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

Would anyone ever want to watch those studidly high resolutions at home?The size of TV's sold gets bigger every year, when does it stop?Will headsets need these stipudly high resolutions?

Headsets won't stop until we have Real k resolution.

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

La Bodysnatcher

La Bodysnatcher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Is this thing ever coming out? The archvial disc is due out this summer and i think we're going to hear more about it in the coming days, but the hvd has been vaporware for close to a decade now.

When you say "this is overrated" do you mean "I think this sucks?"

When you say "the majority hate it" do you mean "I hate it?"

Jakob

Jakob

Stable Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,133 posts

It's funny that Wikipedia doesn't have an article on archival disks. Maybe someone should start one?

ironland

ironland

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationFinland

I haven't watched television or DVD's or Blu-Rays since I was 11 so I really couldn't care less. Guys, we have computers and internet. Who da fuq watches discs? I have never even had a TV in any of my apartments.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Archival Disc, UHD, 1TB, Sony, 4K, 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users