Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Holographic Versatile Disc (HVD) - 6TB storage, 4320p video

Archival Disc UHD 1TB Sony 4K 2015

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

Poll: Holographic Versatile Disc (HVD) - 6TB storage, 4320p video (39 member(s) have cast votes)

Which format will you go up to?

1. DVD (480p SD) (3 votes [7.69%])

Percentage of vote: 7.69%

2. Blu-ray (1080p HD) (5 votes [12.82%])

Percentage of vote: 12.82%

3. Archival Disc (2160p UHD) (31 votes [79.49%])

Percentage of vote: 79.49%

Vote Guests cannot vote

ironland

ironland

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationFinland

It's funny that Wikipedia doesn't have an article on archival disks. Maybe someone should start one?

http://en.wikipedia....i/Archival_Disc

Jakob

Jakob

Stable Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,133 posts

I haven't watched television or DVD's or Blu-Rays since I was 11 so I really couldn't care less. Guys, we have computers and internet. Who da fuq watches discs? I have never even had a TV in any of my apartments.

We still have DVDs at my house.

Jakob

Jakob

Stable Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,133 posts

It's funny that Wikipedia doesn't have an article on archival disks. Maybe someone should start one?

http://en.wikipedia....i/Archival_Disc

Ah, that explains it. I, being the user of American English that I am, was spelling disk with a 'k', not a 'c'.

ironland

ironland

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationFinland

Ah, that explains it. I, being the user of American English that I am, was spelling disk with a 'k', not a 'c'.

Google is thy friend.

I haven't watched television or DVD's or Blu-Rays since I was 11 so I really couldn't care less. Guys, we have computers and internet. Who da fuq watches discs? I have never even had a TV in any of my apartments.

We still have DVDs at my house.

Yeah, my parents still have them too. But they're 55, so..

castiel

castiel

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

I'm fairly convinced that this type of media may have had it's day. With everything up on the cloud these days you can access whatever you want without needing physical media. Yes, streaming HVD level resolution is going to be difficult with current broadband technology but I would think that even fibre optic broadband could overcome this. I refused to go to Blu-ray, and I doubt I will go to any other media type when I can simply download or stream what I want...

In case of an internet outage due to problems at isp, or some other more severe eventuality,  it is good to have plenty of media to go around.   Also many corporations and even government institutions have time and again failed to keep proper backups, without plenty of people having spare backups a lot of this content could disappear for good.

My blog.   Info about  tech, antiaging info, arguments against religion, and random thoughts.

illykitty

illykitty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • LocationUK

Because some of us aren't lucky and being ripped off by internet companies. Having grown up in Canada, the internet had a usage cap with fees if you went over it (or you had to pay an arm and a leg to get no limit). And living in the UK, until recently our internet speed was shockingly slow, because we lived in the countryside. We have a few subscriptions now to on-demand streaming, would have been impossible before. We still buy DVDs though since my husband's a bit of a hoarder and loves to have a physical copy.

And bigger discs are good for gamers. ^_^

TSM

TSM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • LocationThe good old USA

At some point the image will just be beamed into our brains directly.  So the resolution will basically look like reality but better because the eye won't be a limiting factor in the quality of the image.  

Nick1984

Nick1984

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts
  • LocationUK
We may need to change the article and thread title to reflect the name Ultra HD Blu-ray.

http://www.pocket-li...-is-it-too-late

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Archival Disc, UHD, 1TB, Sony, 4K, 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users