Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Mental "illness" in the future

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

s_bed

s_bed

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

What are your ideas on the prevalence and treatment of anxiety and depression over the next few decades?

I expect anxiety and depression to increase significantly in the developing world over the next 20 years, with moderate increases from current levels in the West. However,  treatment will become less taboo in many societies and mental health care will expand. 

In terms of treatment, I believe new forms of therapy will be developed for anxiety, mainly humanistic methods. Few of us will view anxiety as a "disorder" that must be eliminated. Antidepressant use for it and also depression will decrease.

Meditation and Eastern philosophy will no longer be a pretentious fad, but a standard treatment for many. 

New drugs will be developed. Perhaps a moderate, non-addictive tranquilizer for severe anxiety. Newer antidepressants will be developed with fewer side effects. A new class of drugs will be developed that stimulates neurogenesis, as issues with this is later revealed to be the root cause of anxiety and depression. 

Gene therapy is the hot topic of mental illness. Scientists are attempting to use genes that can "switch off" dozens of  other genes that play a role in anxiety and depression. Stem cell research is not as significant, but it is in the discussion.

What are your thoughts?

Durakken

Durakken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

It will continue to be garbage science aimed at demonizing natural behaviors which will ultimately lead to actual neurological degeneracy problems and mental disorders in generations of people. This will only start to get better if there is some sort collapse of society or people start dealing with the source of these issues and correct them, not letting popular bias muddy them.

There is only one known actual method of correcting mental illnesses. Exposure Therapy, which most of these professionals are warding people off from doing.

Drug therapies theoretically work, but we have no idea about most of the long term consequences and many are prescribed for illnesses that don't actually exist. So unless there is a crackdown on analyzing and prescribing drugs it likely will not get better...in fact since more pharmacology has been introduced it has only gotten worse so I'd think more dystopic ideas about mental illness...of course, it will look pretty like all real and good dystopias are, but under the hood it's always a terrible mess.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,221 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA
Mental illness? Miswired neurons and abnormalities in their connections. All you need to do is rectify these aberrations.

Or take a trip.

That said, who are you if your personality has been shaped by disorders?

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

Unity

Unity

Information Organism

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,477 posts
mental%20illness.jpg

tDCS is another option, also reducing inequality. I second the meditation/stoicism suggestion.

Whereas

Whereas

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

I suppose the future trend for the prevalence of anxiety is going to depend strongly on whether technological unemployment will lead to an utopia or a dystopia.

Some more options to consider:

CBT is just as effective against depression as drugs are. If we get to have smart personal AI assistants in the future, I'd imagine they'll know how to perform essential psychological treatments.

Healthy living: there is a variety of factors in the modern environment that contribute to depression. Many are avoidable. If depression becomes enough of an issue, there may be campaigns with genuinely useful advice on how to avoid falling prey to it.

FIVR is also going to have an impact - I'm just not familiar enough with depression to predict if it'll help or make matters worse.

If you're wrong, how would you know it?

Rainbow Frog

Rainbow Frog

Password Scrambled

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts
  • LocationRemember me fondly!

It will continue to be garbage science aimed at demonizing natural behaviors which will ultimately lead to actual neurological degeneracy problems and mental disorders in generations of people. This will only start to get better if there is some sort collapse of society or people start dealing with the source of these issues and correct them, not letting popular bias muddy them.

There is only one known actual method of correcting mental illnesses. Exposure Therapy, which most of these professionals are warding people off from doing.

Drug therapies theoretically work, but we have no idea about most of the long term consequences and many are prescribed for illnesses that don't actually exist. So unless there is a crackdown on analyzing and prescribing drugs it likely will not get better...in fact since more pharmacology has been introduced it has only gotten worse so I'd think more dystopic ideas about mental illness...of course, it will look pretty like all real and good dystopias are, but under the hood it's always a terrible mess.

Hang on, crippling depression and anxiety are issues. It isn't healthy to not want to go out of your house or to break down in tears for no reason. I agree we are slapping a "Mental Disorder" sticker to a-lot of thing unnecessarily. Homosexuality and other sexual orientations are (to my mind) completely natural and fine. However saying that people should "Toughen up" (as I have hear from some before) is stupid, especially if their issue is deeply ingrained and neurotic. 

When I went through a depressive phase, I rationalized that my depression and sadness was largely unwarranted, but that didn't help one iota. What I mean to say, Is that neurotic unhappiness is "Natural" just like catching a cold or an infection is "Natural".

People are illogical, unreasonable, and self-centered. Love them anyway. 
If you do good, people will accuse you of selfish ulterior motives. Do good anyway. 
If you are successful, you will win false friends and true enemies. Succeed anyway. 
The good you do today will be forgotten tomorrow. Do good anyway. 
Honesty and frankness make you vulnerable. Be honest and frank anyway. 
The biggest men and women with the biggest ideas can be shot down by the smallest men and women with the smallest minds. Think big anyway. 
People favor underdogs but follow only top dogs. Fight for a few underdogs anyway. 
What you spend years building may be destroyed overnight. Build anyway. 
People really need help but may attack you if you do help them. Help people anyway. 
Give the world the best you have and you'll get kicked in the teeth. Give the world the best you have anyway.

tw88

tw88

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • Locationeugene oregon

Psychology is still a garbage science in a lot of ways because its based on a subjective interpretation of peoples thoughts and behaviors.  Antidepressants are no better than a placebo for a majority  of the people taking them. I think that eventually psychiatry will (have to) move from diagnoses based on questionnaires to giving a diagnosis based on biological markers or brain scans. Medication will have to become targeted to the individual. The field over all will have to become more fine tuned. I also think that psychedelics in the coming decades will play a greater role in treatments due to their ability to encourage plasticity in the brain, which will help people rewire their brain faster than they could with conventional treatments. 

Durakken

Durakken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Hang on, crippling depression and anxiety are issues. It isn't healthy to not want to go out of your house or to break down in tears for no reason. I agree we are slapping a "Mental Disorder" sticker to a-lot of thing unnecessarily. Homosexuality and other sexual orientations are (to my mind) completely natural and fine. However saying that people should "Toughen up" (as I have hear from some before) is stupid, especially if their issue is deeply ingrained and neurotic. 

When I went through a depressive phase, I rationalized that my depression and sadness was largely unwarranted, but that didn't help one iota. What I mean to say, Is that neurotic unhappiness is "Natural" just like catching a cold or an infection is "Natural".

It's true that crippling depression and anxiety are issues. It is not true that it isn't healthy that breaking down in tears for no reason isn't healthy... at least not all the time. It's actually a common thing that happens to men when they are experiencing their form of PMS. 

Anxiety, the best way to take care of that isn't drugs, but corrective thinking therapy. Drugs stop hormones that are generated by the thought loop, which does help the symptoms of the problem, but does not fix the actual problem and it keeps you in a place where you are more likely to experience rather than less likely.

Depression is, as far as I can tell, fully chemical based. The problem with treating it with a drug is that everyone's system is slightly different and what everyone wants to feel is different as well as the point at which someone becomes incapable of operating is different... and the only person that is really able to tell those things are the people who is also not qualified nor trustworthy to do so.

--------------

As far as sexuality issues... I think all sexuality is thought of wrong, but this not the place. I speak more on topic like where, say, religious thoughts are said to be excluded from illness just because which is nonsense and people ignoring transgender research which shows that gender reassignment surgery actually increases the likelihood of suicide and other such findings that are not popularly favored. Bringing these things up gets one accused of various bigotry. My thinking is based on logic and facts and that is all I am representing and I don't like that people are ok with messing with people's minds, the core of who they are, based on things that are absolutely factually untrue, but I don't care whether you want to believe false things or have surgery performed on yourself that you might not need as long as it doesn't affect me.

-------------

I am mostly against the actual fix for these things which is you develop nanotechnology that allows you to map and rewire a brain. It's a dangerous technology in general, but the question comes up, if we know how to generate the perfectly rational mind and correct any mind that deviates from that should we do that? Should we let anyone do that? Whether they own the brain or not that they are having this done on... I place it very closely to how i think about suicide and capital punishment. There are more occasions that I think it would be ok in, but you'd have to argue every case and take every other possible step to fix the problem before I said it's ok to do.

But all the drugs and such that we do now, I'm mostly against that for the lies that people are being told and the fundamental miseducation and misuse of these drugs on people who do not know any better, especially minors, largely for the benefit to the status of the clowns that push these things. If that wasn't the situation, I have no problem with an informed and honest usage of drugs of any sort, even if they severely mess up the user of said drugs. As long as they're actually being used right and not the patient being used as guinea pigs or whatever so that someone can be the first to write a paper on something that likely doesn't exist or isn't a mental illness.

Mike the average

Mike the average

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts
Its actually really lucky that Neuroscience has begun at a time when Mental Health is definitely the elephant in the room of all things health.
'Force always attracts men of low morality' - Einstein
'Great spirits always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds' - Einstein

kjaggard

kjaggard

Artificer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,144 posts
  • Locationwhere fanciful imaginings and hard won knowledge meet to genesis the future.

psychology is not garbage science. Unlike some of the opinions voiced by individuals on the topic.

The people with such fanciful thoughts on the topic have never tried to bring down somebody in the heights of a manic episode, or tried to work with somebody confronting voices that only they hear. Or watched as a bright and compassionate woman experienced a full on psychotic break, pinning hand scribbled note after hand scribbled note to their bedroom wall detailing the elaborate meanings behind innocuous things, and the brilliant cultural analysis of adam sandler movies; while shitting in cardboard boxes and hiding them in closest around the house and stuffing food in little hiding places around the house.

Psychoanalysis is not a complete or absolute path to the one answers of how a person should be, and in recent history it's become much too dependent on medicating to 'normalize'. But that's an error of application not of the merits of psychology.

Minds can break and many are broken from the start. But that's just one aspect of Psychology. Psychology is a means by which people who struggle to adapt and function withing society are given help and guidance in finding ways to do that. Be it a housewife with anxieties that she's not good enough and because of that fears that her husband may find somebody better and leave her. Or a Kid in his twenties with a deep longing to make some difference in the world but doesn't believe they have any skills or capabilities to offer and doesn't know what difference they could ever contribute. Or somebody who is absolutely convinced their entire family was replaced with imposters and that they are being watched and controlled by some unknown group of people for unknown reasons.

Sometimes chemical interventions are absolutely nessecary.

Live content within small means. Seek elegance rather than luxury, Grace over fashion and wealth over riches.
Listen to clouds and mountains, children and sages. Act bravely, think boldly.
Await occasions, never make haste. Find wonder and awe, by experiencing the everyday.

Durakken

Durakken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

psychology is not garbage science. Unlike some of the opinions voiced by individuals on the topic.

The people with such fanciful thoughts on the topic have never 

I'm sorry, but don't tell people as facts things you don't know, especially not about other people you don't know.

Psychology is a garbage science because they do not do rigorous testing and they do not have repeatable results or the repeat is so miniscule and random that it is not something that you should be toying with with so little knowledge in the area especially when applied to peoples' brains. Most people who are in the hard sciences who look at psychology or are psychologists who have a leaning more towards hard sciences will tell you the exact same thing. What little there is of true worth in psychology is common sense and everything else is between randomly helpful to neutral to incredibly harmful.

Although I should specify that Psychology is less garbage than Psychiatry and it because there is a division in Psychology which is more scientific and a division which largely what everyone thinks of when they talk of psychology. That is the practice part of psychology is largely made up of people that are more concerned with using patients as lab rats and status boosters than they are in getting to the correct answer and treating them so they get well. 

There are absolutely drugs that can alter the state of mind of individuals, but how these work are largely unknown and have side effects that most of us would not think are worth it. That being said, yeah, sometimes, despite that, the fact that it appears to duct tape whatever problem there is temporarily can be extremely useful in a number of situations, but the combination of unethical practices in diagnosing and giving medication mixed with not knowing or not caring about the consequences causes damage that any ethical person should find reprehensible.

The problem isn't that "sometimes chemical interventions are necessary" it's that the people saying when they are necessary are immoral and dishonest to a large degree and cause tons of damage based on lies.

for example, anyone that looks at the numbers for ADD would find that there is an inordinate amount of male children being diagnosed with a brand spanking new mental illness and prescribed a brand new drug called Ritalin and it just so happened to be around the exact same time that schools started this nonsense of removing recess and giving bucket loads of homework. What happened here is Pop-psyche shills diagnosing male children who instinctually are programmed to move around and learn from doing being complained about by parent and teachers saying these kids won't shut up and sit down for hours and hours and hours and hours... and as a result we now likely have bunches of now adults with personality disorders from their likely being picked for taking medication and neurological degenerate disorders from taking a drug that erodes your nervous system... oh and lets not forget the whole being deprived of a childhood and being told their natural inclinations are disorders. 

Do I deny that there is likely some sort of ADD out there, no, but it is well known what happened and that it has been happening more and more since pharmacology for mental disorders has started.

I'm not saying that the idea of psychology is bad, it's the practices and the immoral people involved with it that are bad and need be dealt with so that it won't be garbage science any more, because until that happens that is all it will be, garbage science that likely does more harm than good.

Cosmic Cat

Cosmic Cat

Hibernating

• Validating
  • 4,345 posts
  • Location-

My opinions are fairly limited on this subject but I've talked to my family doctor about my social anxiety, and he told me to read a book.

This one: http://www.amazon.ca...g/dp/0898621283

I still haven't got around the 3rd chapter because I also have a psychological addiction to the internet.

Mike the average

Mike the average

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

Going on Durrakens logic I suppose 

all social sciences, computer science, political science can all be considered garbage for not following the old archaic guidelines and producing repeatable results, that's probably the archaic definition of science from when they started awarding hard sciences nobels in 1901.

'Force always attracts men of low morality' - Einstein
'Great spirits always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds' - Einstein

Zeitgeist123

Zeitgeist123

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,813 posts

in the future when we fully understand the regions of the brain and each function, any mentally insane person will not be treated in a mental asylum. any psychiatrical or psychological disorder can be treated by locating its cause or abnormality in the brain then correct it. just as the same way as the dentist can determine if you have perfectly healthy teeth or not and then correct it.

“Philosophy is a pretty toy if one indulges in it with moderation at the right time of life. But if one pursues it further than one should, it is absolute ruin." - Callicles to Socrates

Durakken

Durakken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Going on Durrakens logic I suppose 

all social sciences, computer science, political science can all be considered garbage for not following the old archaic guidelines and producing repeatable results, that's probably the archaic definition of science from when they started awarding hard sciences nobels in 1901.

Not quite, those fields are Soft Science, which makes them unreliable, but they don't have a lot of what make science science, however most of the social sciences which includes politics and psychology are also garbage science, largely due to the people in them "advancing" the fields in immoral ways and/or with factually inaccurate beliefs being held to, not just by a few, but by the majority or by those who are of higher status who control the discourse of the current paradigm of those fields.

s_bed

s_bed

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

The people with such fanciful thoughts on the topic have never 

I'm sorry, but don't tell people as facts things you don't know, especially not about other people you don't know.

Psychology is a garbage science because they do not do rigorous testing and they do not have repeatable results or the repeat is so miniscule and random that it is not something that you should be toying with with so little knowledge in the area especially when applied to peoples' brains. Most people who are in the hard sciences who look at psychology or are psychologists who have a leaning more towards hard sciences will tell you the exact same thing. What little there is of true worth in psychology is common sense and everything else is between randomly helpful to neutral to incredibly harmful.

Although I should specify that Psychology is less garbage than Psychiatry and it because there is a division in Psychology which is more scientific and a division which largely what everyone thinks of when they talk of psychology. That is the practice part of psychology is largely made up of people that are more concerned with using patients as lab rats and status boosters than they are in getting to the correct answer and treating them so they get well. 

There are absolutely drugs that can alter the state of mind of individuals, but how these work are largely unknown and have side effects that most of us would not think are worth it. That being said, yeah, sometimes, despite that, the fact that it appears to duct tape whatever problem there is temporarily can be extremely useful in a number of situations, but the combination of unethical practices in diagnosing and giving medication mixed with not knowing or not caring about the consequences causes damage that any ethical person should find reprehensible.

The problem isn't that "sometimes chemical interventions are necessary" it's that the people saying when they are necessary are immoral and dishonest to a large degree and cause tons of damage based on lies.

for example, anyone that looks at the numbers for ADD would find that there is an inordinate amount of male children being diagnosed with a brand spanking new mental illness and prescribed a brand new drug called Ritalin and it just so happened to be around the exact same time that schools started this nonsense of removing recess and giving bucket loads of homework. What happened here is Pop-psyche shills diagnosing male children who instinctually are programmed to move around and learn from doing being complained about by parent and teachers saying these kids won't shut up and sit down for hours and hours and hours and hours... and as a result we now likely have bunches of now adults with personality disorders from their likely being picked for taking medication and neurological degenerate disorders from taking a drug that erodes your nervous system... oh and lets not forget the whole being deprived of a childhood and being told their natural inclinations are disorders. 

Do I deny that there is likely some sort of ADD out there, no, but it is well known what happened and that it has been happening more and more since pharmacology for mental disorders has started.

I'm not saying that the idea of psychology is bad, it's the practices and the immoral people involved with it that are bad and need be dealt with so that it won't be garbage science any more, because until that happens that is all it will be, garbage science that likely does more harm than good.

You're absolutely right that certain "disorders" are being overdiagnosed. Medications are being overprescribed, but to call all of psychology a "garbage science" is not a logical conclusion. Psychiatry is corrupt, pharmaceutical companies are evil. Psychology unfortunately has become associated with this. But let's be honest. As a discipline it is much, much more ethical than it was 30, 40, or 60 years ago. 

Psychology is a not a hard science; it is a social science. Anytime we are dealing with people, emotions, and the mind we form concepts, not hard scientific facts. Psychology has in the past experimented with this type of science, it is called behaviorism. 

Many in the psychological community want to be considered hard scientists. The problem is that this has created the same issues that you now condemn psychology for. Labeling, overdiagnoses, "one size fits all" solutions to complex and complicated issues. 

This is the reason ADHD diagnosis has skyrocketed and as have stimulant prescriptions. "It's a chemical imbalance!!!" comes directly from the hard science wannabes, well the rest of the psychological community is not interested in labeling but instead maximizing quality of life.

Durakken

Durakken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

You're absolutely right that certain "disorders" are being overdiagnosed. Medications are being overprescribed, but to call all of psychology a "garbage science" is not a logical conclusion. Psychiatry is corrupt, pharmaceutical companies are evil. Psychology unfortunately has become associated with this. But let's be honest. As a discipline it is much, much more ethical than it was 30, 40, or 60 years ago. 

Psychology is a not a hard science; it is a social science. Anytime we are dealing with people, emotions, and the mind we form concepts, not hard scientific facts. Psychology has in the past experimented with this type of science, it is called behaviorism. 

Many in the psychological community want to be considered hard scientists. The problem is that this has created the same issues that you now condemn psychology for. Labeling, overdiagnoses, "one size fits all" solutions to complex and complicated issues. 

This is the reason ADHD diagnosis has skyrocketed and as have stimulant prescriptions. "It's a chemical imbalance!!!" comes directly from the hard science wannabes, well the rest of the psychological community is not interested in labeling but instead maximizing quality of life.

I'm not sure it's that it is a turn towards hard science that is the problem, but that wanna-bes that do science badly acting like what they do is hard science because they want the credibility that hard science brings that is the problem.

Obviously there is hard science to how the brain operates that can be controlled but considering that each brain acts and reacts and is constructed slightly different and has different natural paradigms and we're relying on indirect observations to come to a conclusion it's hard to say anything that psychology says, ignoring all the corruption involved, with regards to what is and isn't a problem and what is and isn't a fix.

--------------------

That all being said... I'd like the term "mental illness" to be applied based on this thing is an illness and this is not, rather than this thing here causes a problem so is an illness but over here it doesn't it isn't.

Or put another way, I hate, and think it would go a long way in fixing things if we didn't define mental illness in the following way...

Non-problematic or Beneficial OCD = Not Mental Illness

Harmful OCD = Mental Illness

These are the same thing and both should be treated the same, a bug in the brain's programming.

FTLVRM

FTLVRM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationCanada

I agree with most of the things that Tw88 and Durakken wrote about psychiatry / psychology, but I wouldn’t call it a garbage science. Soft science is more appropriate. The science is in the biology and statistics, and the rest is philosophy. The main problem that I have with psychiatry is the fact that they routinely make diagnoses without some kind of scan or biological test to confirm a hypothesis. I have a question for all of you. Psychiatric illnesses are usually described as chemical disorders or disorders of the brain. Would you feel comfortable with the idea of going to an endocrinologist or neurologist that made most of their diagnoses by only getting their patients to answer some questions on a piece of paper? 

Durakken

Durakken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

I agree with most of the things that Tw88 and Durakken wrote about psychiatry / psychology, but I wouldn’t call it a garbage science. Soft science is more appropriate. The science is in the biology and statistics, and the rest is philosophy. The main problem that I have with psychiatry is the fact that they routinely make diagnoses without some kind of scan or biological test to confirm a hypothesis. I have a question for all of you. Psychiatric illnesses are usually described as chemical disorders or disorders of the brain. Would you feel comfortable with the idea of going to an endocrinologist or neurologist that made most of their diagnoses by only getting their patients to answer some questions on a piece of paper? 

Real science is done by bigoted assumptions obviously! lol

I've literally had a doctor, a government doctor, tell me that my back pain is from being fat without doing any real diagnosis even though I have x-rays showing that I have a vertabrea out of alignment grinding on my spinal cord. 

After I left the doctors office on that visit, let me tell you I was extremely pissed. I can't imagine feeling any different if a similar situation happened when dealing with any other medical field.

kjaggard

kjaggard

Artificer

• Moderators
  • 3,144 posts
  • Locationwhere fanciful imaginings and hard won knowledge meet to genesis the future.

Durakken

I've actually studied psychology, sociology, the history of psychoanalysis and neurology. And what you are spewing is idiotic at best.

The results are not always repeatable because it's not possible to compare the neurological development and impacts of varying life conditions of different subjects, as there are too many variables to account for to make any judgement of causative or an effect. But on the broad scale spectrum, it is repeatably domonstratable that lithium will balance bipolar mood disorders, and people who talk through their fears and traumas who they know will discuss it with them and not disrupt the social circles of hold it against them for the rest of their lives... these are repeatedly shown to be of benefit to those suffering and repeatedly shown to help people previously unable to function in the outside world, to become active and functional again.

Given those circumstances psychology has to be an improvisation engineering of social perception and interactions.

You have a strangely lockstep almost newtonian view of what is an what isn't valid in being called science. There are more than one way to practice sciences, and there are advantages to each.

If I had to hazard a guess I'd say your response to the idea stems more from a personal dislike than from any real understanding of the topic.

Live content within small means. Seek elegance rather than luxury, Grace over fashion and wealth over riches.
Listen to clouds and mountains, children and sages. Act bravely, think boldly.
Await occasions, never make haste. Find wonder and awe, by experiencing the everyday.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users