Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

British General Election 2015

UK Election 2015 Labour Lib Dems SNP Scotland

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

Ewan

Ewan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts
  • LocationLondon

I know what you are saying, but, with Labour, I fear a never-ending recession as the one that has gripped France. While the growth in UK has been weak, I won't lie, it is beating many comparable European countries, especially France.

I also agree the government should borrow some to invest. For instance, a £30-50 bn small business stimulus package, but that is not what Labour plans. Instead, they propose less cuts to Education and more investment in NHS, which, while good, is not really "investment" that will provide any growth. Plus, many modern studies show that, past a certain point, education spending has no correlation with quality of education.

Why do you fear this? The Labour government did a good job after the financial crisis of pulling us out of recession, had Osborne followed Labour plans we would have recovered much faster like Europe & America did. I would strongly recommend you read this persons critique of Osborne & the comments below as he answers most of the questions you may have in detail. You could also read a bit of this guys blog (Econ prof at Oxford) about the failings of austerity & the damaging impact its had on our economy although the first link is better for a concise explanation. 

Time_Traveller

Time_Traveller

Master of Time Travel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,158 posts
  • LocationThe Sol System, 7 Billion C.E.

Election 2015: Millions begin casting their votes

7 May 2015

Millions of people have begun casting their votes in the United Kingdom general election.

Polls opened at 07:00 BST at around 50,000 polling stations across the UK, which will remain open until 22:00.
A total of 650 Westminster MPs will be elected, with about 50 million people registered to vote.
As well as the general election, there are more than 9,000 council seats being contested across 279 English local authorities.
Mayors will also be elected in Bedford, Copeland, Leicester, Mansfield, Middlesbrough and Torbay.
In Bedfordshire, the first referendum ever called on a council tax increase is taking place.
UKIP leader Nigel Farage, wearing a red rose on his lapel, voted shortly after 07:30 at a polling station in Ramsgate.

“One, remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Two, never give up work. Work gives you meaning and purpose and life is empty without it. Three, if you are lucky enough to find love, remember it is there and don't throw it away.”

Stephen Hawking

Zaphod

Zaphod

Esteemed Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts
  • LocationUK

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,582 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

jimminycricket123

Party summaries:
Conservative: Very popular in the south and rural areas. Current encumbents with the Liberal Democrats. Traditionally seen as the party for the rich. Hobbies include cutting public spending and taxes. Presided over getting 2 million into work, but 1 million more living off food banks. Leader: David Cameron (Ultra-posh)
Labour: More popular in the north and urban areas. Main opposition party. Historically seen as the worker's party, but attempts to seem more centrist have dissillusioned a lot of their traditional support. Hobbies include raising taxes and spending as much as possible. Unlucky to be in power when financial crisis struck, but probably should have saved more money for a rainy day. Leader: Ed Milliband (Stage-managed geek)
Liberal Democrats: Sporadic support across the country. Propped up the last government with conservatives. Had a lot of centrist support, but had to abandon a lot of headline policies to go into government with conservatives. Young voters will probably never forgive for U-turn on free university tuition. Hobbies include apologising profusely for tuition u-turn. Leader: Nick Clegg (Spineless)
Scottish National Party (SNP): Mass support in Scotland. Ultimate aim: Scottish Independence. Seen as a real alternative to Westminster's "establishment" parties. Lost the independence referendum, but have seen support skyrocket as Labour support in Scotland crumbled. Hobbies include blaming Westminster for everything. Leader: Nicola Sturgeon (Charismatic female braveheart)
UK Independence Party (UKIP): Anti-immigration and anti EU party. Seen as alternative to Westminster parties. Unfortunate habit of linking everything back to immigration. Hobbies include blaming EU for all problems with UK. Leader: Nigel Farage (Admiral Ackbar)
Green Party: Rising in popularity across the country but not seen as mainstream yet. Policies centre around environmentally friendly and socially progressive policies. Seems morally right, but their numbers tend not to add up. Leader: Natalie Bennett (Mind Blank)

http://www.reddit.co...s_begin/cr18ktk

• wjfox likes this

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

Time_Traveller

Time_Traveller

Master of Time Travel

• Members
  • 6,158 posts

Election 2015: Exit poll puts Tories close to majority

7 May 2015

The Conservatives are set to be the largest party in the Commons but just short of a majority, according to the general election exit poll.

The survey taken at polling stations across the UK suggests the Tories will get 316 MPs to Labour's 239 when all the results have been counted.
It suggests the Lib Dems will get 10 MPs, the SNP 58, Plaid Cymru 4, UKIP 2 and the Greens two.
The exit poll was conducted by NOP/MORI for the BBC, ITV and Sky.
The first election results are due before midnight with the final result on Friday afternoon.
The finishing line needed to form a majority is 326.

_82841623_live.png

“One, remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Two, never give up work. Work gives you meaning and purpose and life is empty without it. Three, if you are lucky enough to find love, remember it is there and don't throw it away.”

Stephen Hawking

MarcZ

MarcZ

Chief Flying Car Critic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,271 posts
  • LocationCanada

Anyways don't place too much on opinion polls. There have been some big mistakes by opinion polls here in Canada recently. So anything is possible.

• Time_Traveller likes this

MarcZ

MarcZ

Chief Flying Car Critic

• Members
  • 3,271 posts
  • LocationCanada

Appears that the polls were a little too Conservative on the scale of Labour's failure Cameron could win an outright majority. Also the SNP has wiped out Labour in Scotland. Appears to me that the U.K. is on the path to dissolution, thought the 2014 referendum was the end of it? Looks like it is just the beginning. 

If any consolation looks like UKIP may not get any seats.

Time_Traveller

Time_Traveller

Master of Time Travel

• Members
  • 6,158 posts

Anyways don't place too much on opinion polls. There have been some big mistakes by opinion polls here in Canada recently. So anything is possible.

I don't trust them much but i decided to put it on anyway.

Appears that the polls were a little too Conservative on the scale of Labour's failure Cameron could win an outright majority. Also the SNP has wiped out Labour in Scotland. Appears to me that the U.K. is on the path to dissolution, thought the 2014 referendum was the end of it? Looks like it is just the beginning. 

If any consolation looks like UKIP may not get any seats.

The Cons came out as Britain's Biggest party seat wise, We the UK population will find out in 2020 or before if it's the path of dissolution and No seats for UKIP.

Stephen Hawking

TheComrade

TheComrade

BANNED

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,642 posts

So, conservatives won... Frankly, Scottish referendum was much more interesting and intriguing. Now i'm waiting for another historical referendum about GB's membership in EU.

Mike the average

Mike the average

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts
you kip off Nigel!

http://www.theguardi...translate-seats
'Force always attracts men of low morality' - Einstein
'Great spirits always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds' - Einstein

TheComrade

TheComrade

BANNED

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,642 posts

Guys, you may be saying that its good UKIP didn't win seats, and that's fair enough. But, just like the green party, the electoral system works against non-major parties, in a as we all know "First past the post" system. So it is on the backs of an undemocratic system. Also, they won a single seat.

SNP get 56 MP's with about 1.5 million votes, UKIP get 1 MP with nearly 4 million votes. A representation of the fairness of UKs voting system...

Yes, i've just read an article about British electoral system. This is a terribly unfair bit weird system with possible situations like some Party A gets 55% in each of electoral districts and thus 100% of seats while Party B gets 45% and no seats at all  :o  

joe00uk

joe00uk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,715 posts
  • LocationUK

So, conservatives won... Frankly, Scottish referendum was much more interesting and intriguing. Now i'm waiting for another historical referendum about GB's membership in EU.

Only two more years for the next historical referendum then :)

• Yuli Ban likes this

Ewan

Ewan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts
  • LocationLondon

Guys, you may be saying that its good UKIP didn't win seats, and that's fair enough. But, just like the green party, the electoral system works against non-major parties, in a as we all know "First past the post" system. So it is on the backs of an undemocratic system. Also, they won a single seat.

SNP get 56 MP's with about 1.5 million votes, UKIP get 1 MP with nearly 4 million votes. A representation of the fairness of UKs voting system...

I disagree with UKIP on most policies but I agree this is completely undemocratic. I would much rather have electoral reform & have more UKIP MPs (and a Conservative government I might add! The right wing bloc is much larger) than stick with FPTP. I just want a fair system above everything else. I think under a fair system the votes would completely change as well, I think both the main parties would lose loads of votes to minor parties now that their vote is actually worth something. 

• wjfox likes this

MarcZ

MarcZ

Chief Flying Car Critic

• Members
  • 3,271 posts
  • LocationCanada

I personally like first past the post here in Canada as it keeps the focus more on local candidates and only selecting the local candidate you want more so than the federal party, although there is a bit of that too. I also find it really slow getting results in the U.K. election, generally in a Canadian election (which we will see this coming October) the results come in fast and furious and I think the U.K. should adopt a Canadian style counting system so people don't have to stay up all night.

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,441 posts
  • LocationLondon

jimminycricket123

Party summaries:
Conservative: Very popular in the south and rural areas. Current encumbents with the Liberal Democrats. Traditionally seen as the party for the rich. Hobbies include cutting public spending and taxes. Presided over getting 2 million into work, but 1 million more living off food banks. Leader: David Cameron (Ultra-posh)
Labour: More popular in the north and urban areas. Main opposition party. Historically seen as the worker's party, but attempts to seem more centrist have dissillusioned a lot of their traditional support. Hobbies include raising taxes and spending as much as possible. Unlucky to be in power when financial crisis struck, but probably should have saved more money for a rainy day. Leader: Ed Milliband (Stage-managed geek)
Liberal Democrats: Sporadic support across the country. Propped up the last government with conservatives. Had a lot of centrist support, but had to abandon a lot of headline policies to go into government with conservatives. Young voters will probably never forgive for U-turn on free university tuition. Hobbies include apologising profusely for tuition u-turn. Leader: Nick Clegg (Spineless)
Scottish National Party (SNP): Mass support in Scotland. Ultimate aim: Scottish Independence. Seen as a real alternative to Westminster's "establishment" parties. Lost the independence referendum, but have seen support skyrocket as Labour support in Scotland crumbled. Hobbies include blaming Westminster for everything. Leader: Nicola Sturgeon (Charismatic female braveheart)
UK Independence Party (UKIP): Anti-immigration and anti EU party. Seen as alternative to Westminster parties. Unfortunate habit of linking everything back to immigration. Hobbies include blaming EU for all problems with UK. Leader: Nigel Farage (Admiral Ackbar)
Green Party: Rising in popularity across the country but not seen as mainstream yet. Policies centre around environmentally friendly and socially progressive policies. Seems morally right, but their numbers tend not to add up. Leader: Natalie Bennett (Mind Blank)

http://www.reddit.co...s_begin/cr18ktk

That's a very good (and accurate) summary.

lechwall

lechwall

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • LocationSunny England

I've never felt more ashamed to be British than i have now. Seriously giving thought to leaving.

"The future will be better tomorrow.  If we do not succeed, then we run the risk of failure.   For NASA, space is still a high priority. The Holocaust was an obscene period in our nation's history. No, not our nation's, but in World War II. I mean, we all lived in this century. I didn't live in this century, but in this century's history. Republicans understand the importance of bondage between a mother and child. We're going to have the best-educated American people in the world."  Dan Quayle

Mike the average

Mike the average

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts
why does no one ever recommend Holland, out of Europe?
'Force always attracts men of low morality' - Einstein
'Great spirits always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds' - Einstein

sorcerer

sorcerer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts
  • LocationFrance

Will we have a permanent Tory government now? I can't see any way back for Labour, having lost Scotland, and the thought of a Labour/SNP coalition was probably one of the main reasons the Tories won (that and Miliband/Balls). Assuming the Tories remain reasonably competent it seems they could govern for a long time.

lechwall

lechwall

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • LocationSunny England

I've never felt more ashamed to be British than i have now. Seriously giving thought to leaving.

Then leave, and go where you think is better. Not saying this out of meanness or anything- go where you think you will be best. And, because of EU, moving someplace else has never been easier. Think Sweden might have it for you? You're the boss.
Personally, the election results in UK benefit me because it will now be easier to run and found a business: small or large

I'd like to leave but there's girlfriend/family attachments that are keeping me here so its a tough decision. I'm devastated Dan Jarvis ruled himself out of the labour leadership race even the Daily Mail readers were scared he might have a chance of winning. I don't have much faith in the other candidates at all especially not Chuka.....

"The future will be better tomorrow.  If we do not succeed, then we run the risk of failure.   For NASA, space is still a high priority. The Holocaust was an obscene period in our nation's history. No, not our nation's, but in World War II. I mean, we all lived in this century. I didn't live in this century, but in this century's history. Republicans understand the importance of bondage between a mother and child. We're going to have the best-educated American people in the world."  Dan Quayle

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: UK, Election, 2015, Labour, Lib Dems, SNP, Scotland

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users