Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Chinese territorial expansion in the future?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

Futurist

Futurist

Aspiring cross-dresser

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,320 posts
  • LocationSouthern California, United States of America, Planet Earth

Do any of you think that China will eventually try to pursue territorial expansion in the future? For example, I am talking about things such as China trying to reconquer Mongolia, Outer Manchuria, and/or et cetera.

Futurist

Futurist

Aspiring cross-dresser

• Members
  • 6,320 posts

For reference, here is a map comparison of China's 1820 and 2015 borders:

qing_dynasty_1820.png

Futurist

Futurist

Aspiring cross-dresser

• Members
  • 6,320 posts

Of course, I've got a question--other than Taiwan, no areas outside of China but which are located close to China have an ethnic Chinese majority population, correct?

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,919 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

Do any of you think that China will eventually try to pursue territorial expansion in the future? For example, I am talking about things such as China trying to reconquer Mongolia, Outer Manchuria, and/or et cetera.

Maybe into Africa?

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

Futurist

Futurist

Aspiring cross-dresser

• Members
  • 6,320 posts

Maybe into Africa?

But wouldn't that be rather hard for China to annex due to logistical reasons?

ddmkm122

ddmkm122

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts
  • LocationRochester, New York, The United States Of America.

Yes.  I think that it could take over all of Asia.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 22,919 posts
Not all of Asia. Especially not with Japan, India, Russia, South Korea, Vietnam, and Malaysia in the way.

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

ddmkm122

ddmkm122

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Not all of Asia. Especially not with Japan, India, Russia, South Korea, Vietnam, and Malaysia in the way.

But, those are all part of Asia, aren't they?

Ewan

Ewan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts
  • LocationLondon

When a country develops an effective missile shield we will be in for some problems. I don't think we will see much Chinese expansion though. If they expand at all in the future it will be to incorporate Taiwan & parts of Russia but that's about it (see claimed areas above). Chinese power will be tapered by ASEAN & India in the south, Japan & USA in the East, and there isn't much to gain in the West. 

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 22,919 posts

All part of Asia. All with large militaries. If China forcibly attempts to create an Asian super nation, there will be hell to pay, and they know it.

A war with Japan only would see the deaths of half a billion Chinese

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 22,919 posts

When a country develops an effective missile shield we will be in for some problems. I don't think we will see much Chinese expansion though. If they expand at all in the future it will be to incorporate Taiwan & parts of Russia but that's about it (see claimed areas above). Chinese power will be tapered by ASEAN & India in the south, Japan & USA in the East, and there isn't much to gain in the West.

Taiwan, I doubt, unless it's totally peaceful and mutual.

Eastern Russia, Mongolia, and maybe bits of Indochina would be the most likely.

ddmkm122

ddmkm122

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

All part of Asia. All with large militaries. If China forcibly attempts to create an Asian super nation, there will be hell to pay, and they know it.

A war with Japan only would see the deaths of half a billion Chinese

You're probably right.  I think that that would be akin to North America And South America uniting into one giant country!

future-me

future-me

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Perhaps creating / claiming 21st Century versions of European colonies in Africa? Maybe more likely "puppet states" where essentially the country is owned by China rather than officially and directly ruled by them. Something along the lines of China owning considerable swathes of public institutions - health services, education, defence contracts, transport infrastructure, energy and water services, telecoms and media, mineral resources, agriculture, etc - basically holding the government to ransom.

ddmkm122

ddmkm122

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Maybe China wont expand ever.

Godstone

Godstone

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Extremely unlikely.  Here's China throughout history - why stop now?

300px-Territories_of_Dynasties_in_China.

Cosmic Cat

Cosmic Cat

Hibernating

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,345 posts
  • Location-

Extremely unlikely.  Here's China throughout history - why stop now?

Because it's the 21st century.

Godstone

Godstone

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

China expanded into Tibet in 1950, and currently has its eyes on Taiwan.  What difference does the 21st century make?

Cosmic Cat

Cosmic Cat

Hibernating

• Validating
  • 4,345 posts
  • Location-

China expanded into Tibet in 1950, and currently has its eyes on Taiwan.  What difference does the 21st century make?

We have strict borders and barely no terrorial expansion. China had Taiwan since the Communist revolutio. The republic of China was pushed out of China by the People's Republic of China and onto Taiwan. Since both governments assumed control of the same country, PRC really isn't expanding as much as it is just trying to get the Taiwanese government under its control.

We have gone wwaaayyyy past the idea of colonialism and expansionism as globalization takes place. Ever since the creation of the UN, barely any countries gained territorial expansion as much as a country has split up or gone through revolution. The Korean war ended with no territorial expansion for example. Neither did the Vietnam war, or any large war. They were all civil wars.

China isn't interested about expanding as much as it is interested about trying to maintain good economic relations, and diplomacy. That is the difference the 21st century makes. The 21st century has brought on the internet as well. And the internet as we all know, is very good at connecting people.

We have reached an age where war, and territorial expansion costs more than diplomacy and economic ties. Why invade and waste billions of dollars on military when you can pay a fraction of the amount for the resource you need. We also have nuclear weapons, which offers mutual threat of destruction; safely stopping any leader from doing anything stupid.

Cosmic Cat

Cosmic Cat

Hibernating

• Validating
  • 4,345 posts
  • Location-
The only country I see China acquiring is North Korea, and that is a good thing. North Korea is practically Mao China.

Raklian

Raklian

An Immortal In The Making

• Moderators
  • 7,506 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

We have reached an age where war, and territorial expansion costs more than diplomacy and economic ties.

Like Russia for example.

What are you without the sum of your parts?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users