Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Past Timeline

• Please log in to reply
214 replies to this topic

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,379 posts
  • LocationLondon

I would like this page to come out one day, in 2020 maybe, is that possible ???

Yes, if I can get our merchandise store up and running first (which now appears likely).

I would absolutely love to do Past Timeline right now, but unfortunately, my time is limited. I have to prioritise my revenue streams. The mobile/responsive upgrade of FutureTimeline was an example of this, as it helped to reverse our decline in traffic. However, more needs to be done to help keep this site online and ensure it's sustainable in the long term.

So the next major project I'm doing is our merch store. This was meant to launch earlier this month, but I had problems with our supplier and had to ditch them. However, I'm very optimistic about the new company I've chosen, and I have most of the artwork and designs ready.

I don't want to give an estimate for when Past Timeline will launch, as I've done this before and the schedule always slips. All I can say is, Past Timeline is the next major project I plan to work on, after our merch store. And the merch store involves far less work than our responsive upgrade. :)

Ericthetrekkie

Ericthetrekkie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationMiami, USA

I would like this page to come out one day, in 2020 maybe, is that possible ???

Yes, if I can get our merchandise store up and running first (which now appears likely).

I would absolutely love to do Past Timeline right now, but unfortunately, my time is limited. I have to prioritise my revenue streams. The mobile/responsive upgrade of FutureTimeline was an example of this, as it helped to reverse our decline in traffic. However, more needs to be done to help keep this site online and ensure it's sustainable in the long term.

So the next major project I'm doing is our merch store. This was meant to launch earlier this month, but I had problems with our supplier and had to ditch them. However, I'm very optimistic about the new company I've chosen, and I have most of the artwork and designs ready.

I don't want to give an estimate for when Past Timeline will launch, as I've done this before and the schedule always slips. All I can say is, Past Timeline is the next major project I plan to work on, after our merch store. And the merch store involves far less work than our responsive upgrade. :)

Has the creation of said merch store been going ok so far?

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,379 posts
  • LocationLondon

Has the creation of said merch store been going ok so far?

It was very close to being launched, until I discovered the rather complicated system of taxes, which would apply if I wanted to sell in certain U.S. states (I live in the UK).

Then COVID-19 happened, so I got distracted by that – and with so many people unemployed and just trying to survive now, I didn't think there'd be much demand for merch anyway.

So I'm now giving priority to Past Timeline instead! Today I worked on the homepage and made some progress on the navigation, as seen in this screenshot!

The version here is currently offline, but I'm hoping to get a basic homepage up and ready in the coming week.

My thinking now is, I'll keep it rather simple compared to FT, so there won't be "Features" or community sections, etc. It'll be a kind of stripped down version, for now.

I'm so desperate to get the timeline started... I just want to get that going, and then perhaps we can add more sections at a later stage.

The only other major component will be the blog, which I think is important as there's so much interesting research happening on the past, ancient Earth, fossils, artefacts, etc. so there'll be that alongside the timeline. If anyone has any ideas for additional blog categories, let me know.

pt020620.jpg

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,379 posts
  • LocationLondon

Here's an idea. The "Timeline of Natural History" is likely to be so gargantuan, perhaps it could be split into:

Timeline of the Early Universe (13.8 billion BC – circa 3.5 billion BC)

Timeline of Evolution (circa 3.5 billion BC – 3.3 million BC)

What do you guys think?

PhoenixRu

PhoenixRu

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts

Here's an idea. The "Timeline of Natural History" is likely to be so gargantuan, perhaps it could be split into:

What do you guys think?

With all due respect, sir, I'm disagree. I just don't like the first title. In scale of Universe this 3.5 billion BC milestone means nothing. Universe evolved from "early" to "modern" long before that date. I understand you still need it as a border between pure astronomy/geology and biology, but...

PhoenixRu

PhoenixRu

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts

And a question: will there be a separate "PastTimeline forum"?

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • 22,087 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

^ Honestly, I expect that this forum will probably be either archived or deleted and there'd be a new forum that operates for both. 

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,379 posts
  • LocationLondon

What do you guys think?

With all due respect, sir, I'm disagree. I just don't like the first title. In scale of Universe this 3.5 billion BC milestone means nothing. Universe evolved from "early" to "modern" long before that date. I understand you still need it as a border between pure astronomy/geology and biology, but...

Yeah actually, you're probably right.

Let's just have a timeline of natural history, and then split that into various sub-sections.

And a question: will there be a separate "PastTimeline forum"?

We'll probably upgrade to a new forum – most likely phpBB – which covers both FT and PT, and expand the history section a bit.

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,379 posts
  • LocationLondon

Another thing. I want a more "modular" structure for Past Timeline, so it's easier to update and maintain.

I'm thinking – given the vastness of history, entries on the timeline will be so numerous they'll have to appear more concise than on FT. There won't be lots of big images (unless it's a really important event/landmark), and the references will need self-containing within each entry (perhaps expandable via a link underneath), rather than being listed at the end. Otherwise we could be talking thousands of references per page, a nightmare in terms of coding and moving stuff around.

In fact, the entries will be so numerous that I expect 90% of them won't even have images, they'll be mostly short bits of text with small events for that year.

Some of the more important entries could perhaps include a "read more" that links to an individual page with more detail, additional images, etc.

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,379 posts
  • LocationLondon

I've changed my mind about the definition of "modern" history.

Earlier in the thread, some of you were suggesting it should begin at 1800, as opposed to 1900.

I now agree it should be 1800.

Erowind

Erowind

Anarchist without an adjective

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,481 posts
I really like the red color scheme of the site. It feels warm and inviting.

Ericthetrekkie

Ericthetrekkie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationMiami, USA

For another blog category, may I propose "Cosmic history"? This category would showcase the discoveries being made in relation to natural events that happened in places other than Earth (Things like volcanic activity on other planets, the collision of two galaxies, the formation of the solar system and so on).

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,379 posts
  • LocationLondon

Yeah, there'll be a "Space" category, same as FT.

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,379 posts
  • LocationLondon

I've spent the last couple of days working on a menu design for the main page (i.e. between the header and footer), and will try to upload this in the coming days.

My thinking is that it will feature a dropdown/accordion-type navigation, so you click to expand each section, with further sub-sections to expand into more detail.

So, for example, the first one ("Timeline of Natural History") will unfold into the early universe, followed by young Earth, and so on, with links to additional time periods.

Ericthetrekkie

Ericthetrekkie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationMiami, USA

I've spent the last couple of days working on a menu design for the main page (i.e. between the header and footer), and will try to upload this in the coming days.

My thinking is that it will feature a dropdown/accordion-type navigation, so you click to expand each section, with further sub-sections to expand into more detail.

So, for example, the first one ("Timeline of Natural History") will unfold into the early universe, followed by young Earth, and so on, with links to additional time periods.

There is only one other thing I can think of to ask before the main page is updated in a few days: Would it be possible for the font of the header text to be in a less futuristic style? Don't get me wrong, the FT font looks really cool. But because this website is about stuff that happened in the past, wouldn't it make more sense to have a more old-fashioned kind of look to the words (as in something like Cinzel or Times New Roman)?

Ericthetrekkie

Ericthetrekkie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationMiami, USA

@wjfox In any case, please be sure to let us know once the menu is updated - I'd hate to miss any milestones in the creation of this site.

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,379 posts
  • LocationLondon

There is only one other thing I can think of to ask before the main page is updated in a few days: Would it be possible for the font of the header text to be in a less futuristic style? Don't get me wrong, the FT font looks really cool. But because this website is about stuff that happened in the past, wouldn't it make more sense to have a more old-fashioned kind of look to the words (as in something like Cinzel or Times New Roman)?

At first, I thought you meant the main banner – but yes, I agree, the header font should be changed.

I'll be looking at fonts, and general styling, to give a more "historic" look to the pages.

@wjfox In any case, please be sure to let us know once the menu is updated - I'd hate to miss any milestones in the creation of this site.

I plan to work on it this weekend. Will try to complete the basic tables/DIVs for each menu section, and then images/artwork can be sourced and embedded after that.

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,379 posts
  • LocationLondon

Didn't make as much progress as I'd hoped, but the tablet homepage is almost complete.

When you're making a responsive website, there are basically different versions of a page, which auto-adjust depending on screen size.

In the case of FT and PT, the cut-off points are:

Desktop (1024 pixels or wider – see earlier screenshot)

Tablet (768-1023 pixels – see image below)
Mobile (480-767px)
Mobile (320-479px)
Mobile (240-319px)
Mobile (239px or less)

So I'll do the mobile versions next.

P.S. Still looking into new fonts!

pt210620.jpg

Ericthetrekkie

Ericthetrekkie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationMiami, USA

We're getting close.....I can just feel it.

Hopefully the site will be online by the end of 2020. Well to be honest, that's actually my most pessimistic guess. I could very well see PT going live in only 2-3 months given the rate you're now progressing at.

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,379 posts
  • LocationLondon

Mobile versions have been done, and I've uploaded the index file so it's now viewable online.

https://www.pasttimeline.net/

Next step will be the main desktop accordion/dropdown, and figuring out the different sub-sections.

I'm going to use a logarithmic scale, so it'll start with billion-year increments, then down to millions, thousands, etc.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users