Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Past Timeline

• Please log in to reply
208 replies to this topic

Ericthetrekkie

Ericthetrekkie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationMiami, USA

Mobile versions have been done, and I've uploaded the index file so it's now viewable online.

https://www.pasttimeline.net/

Next step will be the main desktop accordion/dropdown, and figuring out the different sub-sections.

I'm going to use a logarithmic scale, so it'll start with billion-year increments, then down to millions, thousands, etc.

Looks nice. But I'd like to point out that the estimated age of the universe is currently 13.8 billion, not 13.7.

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,242 posts
  • LocationLondon

^ Fixed it. Thanks. I was never quite sure if it was 13.7 or 13.8. Wikipedia now says 13.799 is the nearest estimate, so I rounded up to 13.8.

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,242 posts
  • LocationLondon

I think the parts I'm most looking forward to writing about are:

– The very early universe. It's just fascinating to read about the earliest moments of the Big Bang. I mean, think about the universe being smaller than a pin-head, and then growing within a tiny fraction of a second to become the size of a football. Then the size of a house. Then the size of a city... and so on. It's just mind-blowing to think this actually happened and that we're able to mathematically deduce what conditions occurred back then.

– The period of roughly 2 to 10 million years BC, just before humans arrived on the scene, when all kinds of megafauna roamed the land. Giant mammals the size of small houses, etc. and the transition from our ancestors into early hominids.

– The Industrial Revolution, and the massive societal acceleration it triggered.

Ericthetrekkie

Ericthetrekkie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationMiami, USA

I think the parts I'm most looking forward to writing about are:

– The very early universe. It's just fascinating to read about the earliest moments of the Big Bang. I mean, think about the universe being smaller than a pin-head, and then growing within a tiny fraction of a second to become the size of a football. Then the size of a house. Then the size of a city... and so on. It's just mind-blowing to think this actually happened and that we're able to mathematically deduce what conditions occurred back then.

– The period of roughly 2 to 10 million years BC, just before humans arrived on the scene, when all kinds of megafauna roamed the land. Giant mammals the size of small houses, etc. and the transition from our ancestors into early hominids.

– The Industrial Revolution, and the massive societal acceleration it triggered.

Something you might want to include: Nuclear fusion (which leads to nucleosynthesis) first begins 3 minutes after the big bang, and ceases after 20 minutes when free electrons begin scattering light for the first time.

Ericthetrekkie

Ericthetrekkie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationMiami, USA

I have three last questions regarding Past Timeline:

How are things currently going with the accordion/dropdown thingy you plan to add?

Within specific years featured on PT, you'll make an effort to have events within a year be in the order that they occurred throughout that individual year right?

As the years progress, will the timeline "self-extend" alongside the present day with new recent events getting added every once in a while like in FT?

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,242 posts
  • LocationLondon

How are things currently going with the accordion/dropdown thingy you plan to add?

Within specific years featured on PT, you'll make an effort to have events within a year be in the order that they occurred throughout that individual year right?

As the years progress, will the timeline "self-extend" alongside the present day with new recent events getting added every once in a while like in FT?

1. I'm still researching the best way to do this. I want to reduce load times, minimise any browser issues, etc. so will probably go with pure CSS. See e.g. examples here:

https://freefrontend...css-accordions/

Over the next few days I'll choose the most suitable one, and then start to adapt/configure it. Perhaps a basic, skeletal menu could appear online this weekend.

2. Yep, we'll try to be chronologically accurate. For geological/ancient eras, this won't always be possible, but as we get nearer to the present there'll be months/days available to narrow down the precise date.

3. Eventually, yes – we'll catch up to the present. But given the garagantuan scale of the past, I'm expecting the website to take several years of work! :) As I think I explained before, we might do a "concise" version first, just skimming through with brief descriptions under each heading. Then do a second "pass" with more detail, a third pass with even more detail, and so on. This would help us reach the present faster.

Ericthetrekkie

Ericthetrekkie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationMiami, USA

1. I'm still researching the best way to do this. I want to reduce load times, minimise any browser issues, etc. so will probably go with pure CSS. See e.g. examples here:

https://freefrontend...css-accordions/

Over the next few days I'll choose the most suitable one, and then start to adapt/configure it. Perhaps a basic, skeletal menu could appear online this weekend.

2. Yep, we'll try to be chronologically accurate. For geological/ancient eras, this won't always be possible, but as we get nearer to the present there'll be months/days available to narrow down the precise date.

3. Eventually, yes – we'll catch up to the present. But given the garagantuan scale of the past, I'm expecting the website to take several years of work! :) As I think I explained before, we might do a "concise" version first, just skimming through with brief descriptions under each heading. Then do a second "pass" with more detail, a third pass with even more detail, and so on. This would help us reach the present faster.

Sounds like a pretty good plan. Be sure to let us know once the menu is done; I've been finding it very interesting to see more and more features on the website go live. 

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,242 posts
  • LocationLondon

After much scouting around, I've decided on a menu format.

https://codepen.io/a...vero/pen/avKpLX

I've seen many, many different layouts offered around the web, but most have been too flashy/pretentious or included JavaScript.

This one, however, is pure CSS, and responsive. Our final menu will look nothing like this grey/black menu seen here, but it provides exactly the basic framework I need – after playing around with the code, it's highly configurable and could be adapted easily.

So... next step is to figure out the different sub-sections. How should I divide the "Timeline of Natural History"?

StanleyAlexander

StanleyAlexander

Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon, USA, Earth, 2063

So... next step is to figure out the different sub-sections. How should I divide the "Timeline of Natural History"?

Tough question! Especially with respect to the era of inflation, the first fraction of a second after the big bang that you referred to a couple of posts ago. That could throw a wrench into your logarithmic scale, since so much happened within such a short time frame, so long ago. There really is a lot to write about in the first nanosecond, the first second, the first minutes of the universe, but less to write about in the subsequent few hundred thousand years before stars appear, as the universe is just cooling down and expanding. It may even be worth devoting a whole section to the big bang and inflation, so as not to spoil the overall logarithmic scale of the site, which I think is a good idea.

It may be worth checking out the Big History Project (which I'm sure by now you've come across) for a good set of benchmarks (or "thresholds" as they call them) by which to divide natural history.

Humanity's destiny is infinity

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Ericthetrekkie