Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Volunteer work in improving the site

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

ironland

ironland

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationFinland

I wonder if it would be possible to start offering the timeline and news in other languages also? Provided that there are people who would be willing to translate the texts in their own time. I know many people who are interested in The FutureTM and emerging technologies and their implications, but aren't able to read english fast, or without some trouble.

I just woke up, poured myself a cup of coffee and decided to translate the recent VR news
(
http://www.futuretim...tm#.VRP2LvmsXaA) into my native language, Finnish. It took a couple minutes and turned out ok, I guess. Here is the text: 

Virtuaalitodellisuus kuluttajille kasvaa eksponentiaalisesti vuosien 2015 ja 2020 välisenä aikana

BI Intelligence, Business Insiderin operoima johtava tutkimuspalvelu, julkaisi tällä viikolla viimeaikaisimman raporttinsa koskien päässä pidettävien virtuaalitodellisuuslaitteiden globaaleja markkinoita. Vaikka laitteiden nykyinen omaksuminen kuluttajakäyttöön on pysynyt alhaisena, adoptiotahti tulee todennäköisesti räjähtämään kasvuun tästä vuodesta eteenpäin, saavuttaen lähes sataprosenttisen (100%) vuosittaisen kasvun - toisin sanoen myynti tuplaantuu joka vuosi, saavuttaen 26,5 miljoonan kappaleen myynnin vuoteen 2020 mennessä.

Kiitos tippuvien hintojen, teknologian eksponentiaalisen kehityksen ja monien tunnettujen brändien välisen kilpailun markkinaosuudesta, tämä teollisuudenala tulee pian olemaan valtavirran viihdemuoto.

Vain osa tällä hetkellä kilpailussa mukana olevista yhtiöistä käsittää Facebookin (Oculus Rift), Googlen (Google Cardboard), Samsungin (Gear VR), Sonyn (Project Morpheus) ja HTC:n (Vive). Perustuen sen nykyiseen patenttiaktiivisuuteen ja työnhakuilmoituksiin, myös Applen huhutaan työskentelevän VR:n parissa. Niille joita erittäin realistiset virtuaalitodellisuussovellutukset kiinnostavat, seuraavat vuodet tulevat näyttämään varsin jännittäviltä.

There were some words that just don't exist in the Finnish language so some workarounds had to be done, and I'm not quite sure how professional it looks/sounds, but the message is well preserved. Given the immensity of the timeline, based on my current calculations, it would only take about 127,4 years to translate the entire thing into Finnish. If life-extension techniques are going to improve at the rate the timeline suggests, I may actually be able to finish the work.

Note that I am by no means going to pour all my time into this, but an article per day or something like that wouldn't be too bad.

Feel free to discuss other methods of helping too.

joe00uk

joe00uk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,726 posts
  • LocationUK

127.4 years with accurate translation AI in the near-ish future? Much quicker than that, one should think :p.

PrimordialBeing

PrimordialBeing

Why are you bothering to look at this? Go read my post.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,468 posts
Well, I suppose that I could well translate the timeline into Irish, but I have no reason to do that. Most anyone that speaks and reads Irish, speaks and reads English too. Those who don't are older people in isolated communities.
"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for life" -Terry Pratchett
"And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you"-Friedrich Nietzsche
"The biggest risk is not taking any risk.. In a world that is changing quickly, the only strategy that is guaranteed to fail is not taking risks* - Mark Zuckerberg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users