Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Historical images, videos and articles - general thread

• Please log in to reply
677 replies to this topic

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,662 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

Italian Immigrants arrive at Ellis Island, 1905. Lost baggage is the cause of their worried expressions.

3fb3ivlth05z.jpg

Wonder if they came from Southern Italy...

• wjfox likes this

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,662 posts

King George V at Buckingham Palace in 1914, shortly before the outbreak of war.
uieziprrk82z.jpg

• wjfox and Vladislav like this

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,662 posts

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,662 posts

What are your favorite historical date comparisons (e.g., Virginia was founded in 1607 when Shakespeare was still alive).

TIL that Ancient Greek ruins were actually colourful. What's your favourite history fact that didn't necessarily make waves, but changed how we thought a period of time looked?

Infinite

Infinite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • LocationDublin, Ireland

New York 1900s

t2ji6w9qfcaz.jpg

• wjfox, Cody930 and Yuli Ban like this

_SputnicK_

_SputnicK_

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • LocationUSA

• wjfox likes this

"We are attempting to survive our time so we may live into yours." -Jimmy Carter, 1977

"In my mind and in my car, we can't rewind we've gone too far. Pictures came and broke your heart, put down the blame on VCR." -The Buggles, 1980

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,609 posts
  • LocationLondon

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,662 posts

'Little Pompeii'; Roman ruins discovered under site earmarked for French housing estate

'This is undoubtedly the most exceptional excavation of a Roman site in 40 or 50 years'

Ruins of an ancient Roman neighbourhood described as a "little Pompeii", have been discovered on a site intended for social housing in southern France. 
Called an "exceptional discovery" by the French culture ministry, the 7,000sq m (75,000 sq ft) find in Vienne, a small town to the south of Lyon, includes luxury house and public buildings. 
Objects thought to have been abandoned by residents fleeing fires in the first century AD have also been recovered.

kfHaIU5.jpg
An archaeologist works on the site, where a philosophy school, shops and lavish residences decorated with mosaics have been found | Getty Images

• Infinite likes this

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,662 posts

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,662 posts

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,662 posts

Might need to get reacquainted with these fun little times if recent events are to believed.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,662 posts

There's a Plan To Rebuild the Colossus of Rhodes

A collective of European architects has proposed to build a 21st-century version of the Colossus of Rhodes, the ancient Greek statue erected on the island of Rhodes in the 3rd century B.C. The new statue would stand 500-feet tall and serve as a cultural center as well as a lighthouse.
One of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World, the Colossus of Rhodes was a 100-foot bronze statue of Helios, the Greek titan-god of the sun. It was constructed in 280 B.C. to celebrate a military victory over Antigonus I Monophthalmus, the ruler of Cyprus who unsuccessfully besieged Rhodes in 305 B.C. The Colossus stood as one of the tallest structures of the ancient world until an earthquake brought it crashing down in 226 B.C.

• Infinite, Erowind and BasilBerylium like this

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,662 posts

xcsyl43tr82z.jpg

Time_Traveller

Time_Traveller

Master of Time Travel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,158 posts
  • LocationThe Sol System, 7 Billion C.E.

994605-1386757920-b9cfb46f7c0eef1b66b4ca

Sophia Loren at the Kremlin in 1965.

“One, remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Two, never give up work. Work gives you meaning and purpose and life is empty without it. Three, if you are lucky enough to find love, remember it is there and don't throw it away.”

Stephen Hawking

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,609 posts
  • LocationLondon

A Japanese family returning home from an internment camp find their home and garage vandalised in Seattle, 1945:

dzBklOo.jpg

• Yuli Ban likes this

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,609 posts
  • LocationLondon

The Hungerford Massacre – 19th August 1987

30 years ago today, this was the UK's worst mass shooting at the time (later surpassed by the Dunblane school massacre of 1996).

It led to the Firearms (Amendment) Act 1988, which banned the ownership of semi-automatic centre-fire rifles in the UK, and restricted the use of shotguns with a capacity of more than three cartridges.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...erford_massacre

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,609 posts
  • LocationLondon

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,662 posts

2,000-year-old tombs from Roman period found in Egypt

A series of tombs dating back about 2,000 years, to the time when the Romans controlled Egypt, has been discovered, the Egyptian Ministry of Antiquities announced Aug. 23.
Excavations at Bir esh-Shaghala in the Dakhla Oasis have uncovered tombs made of mudbrick and some are quite large containing multiple burial chambers. Some of the tombs have vaulted roofs and one tomb has a roof built in the shape of a pyramid. [See Photos of the Newly Discovered Tombs]

• BasilBerylium likes this

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,609 posts
  • LocationLondon

31st August 1997.

20 years ago today...

Is anyone here old enough to remember where they were, and what they were doing, when they heard the news?

• Yuli Ban likes this

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,609 posts
  • LocationLondon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users