Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Historical images, videos and articles - general thread

• Please log in to reply
693 replies to this topic

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,764 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

5P2TCFW.jpg

I've seen images quite like this one reposted with unironic captions about how "pathetic" the current generation is considering how hard our forefathers fought to build this world for them, and I always want to tell these people to take a step back and think exactly about why what they just wrote betrays its own point.

• wjfox and Erowind like this

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,764 posts

Norman Rockwell | Marriage Counselor, 1963 Reference Photo.

ubrbenor8ug31.jpg?width=891&auto=webp&s=

Final image, also 1963

5457747526_7719180701_b.jpg

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,747 posts
  • LocationLondon

History of the scrollbar:

https://scrollbars.matoseb.com/

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,747 posts
  • LocationLondon

The largest human-made crater in the mainland United States – Project Sedan (104Kt)

https://youtu.be/mB9-1XMVpsY

• Yuli Ban likes this

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,764 posts

nk5pt8gytxx31.jpg?width=681&auto=webp&s=

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,764 posts

[November 2, 1919] New York Tribune - Miss Elizabeth C. Blanding, aged 87, said to be the oldest actively engaged school teacher in America, who has just started teaching her seventy-first class of primary grade children at a private school at Attleboro, Massachusetts

yrqwb4plnaw31.jpg?width=634&auto=webp&s=

This means she started teaching in 1848. She was teaching before the American Civil War, and at age 16 at that. She lived for another year and died on November 18, 1920, so she was really pushing it.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,764 posts

[October 6th, 1919] Château de Haut-Koenigsbourg, Orschwiller, France

z3i8qze68vq31.jpg?width=569&auto=webp&s=

• wjfox likes this

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,764 posts

Baron Goto of Japan after attending a luncheon in his honor in Washington D. C. on October 1, 1919

GvaGd5bIxveFzaWubjHqs9B0LljYTn43Nx9V-ewq

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,764 posts

A curious footnote from 1919

bv9zeoUvSa2TBkYw26mLgbIIDQh0XmeghzPlSORG

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,764 posts

[September 21, 1919] 84 Years Old Civil War Veteran of Philadelphia, Wearing at the Fifty-third G. A. R. Reunion at Columbus, Ohio, the Exact Equipment with which He Marched Away to the War with the 71st Pennsylvania Regiment in 1861

cmtwtul3cvn31.jpg?width=336&auto=webp&s=

Fun little anecdote (about myself at least): I used to believe that someone who was a young whippersnapper in 1861 could have conceivably fought in both the Civil War and WWI— they'd be a grizzled middle-aged veteran when they went to the trenches of France, at least. 

But then I actually did the math and realized that someone who was about 20 years old in 1861 could have conceivably died of old age by the time WWI started. They weren't actually as close in time as I imagined. I just didn't realize this for the longest time because the American public education system sucks a fat one. It goes through events so fast and depersonalizes them all. There are many courses where we literally went from the Civil War and Reconstruction (1861-1877) and immediately jumped to World War I and the Progressive Age— in high school. By that point, we ought to be learning about the intricacies of this period in history, but we were still stuck with literal 5th-grade lessons. The only difference being we had more busywork to do. i.e. in 5th grade, you'd read about the Civil War, Progressive Age, and World War I and maybe do a short quiz and memorize a few names (e.g. Abraham Lincoln, Ulysses S. Grant, Theodore Roosevelt, Woodrow Wilson, and whatnot) for a daily assignment of about 10 questions. In 10th grade, you read the exact same material, memorize the exact same names, except now across a 100-question test and incredibly overwrought short answer assignments. 

How I became so interested in history through this, I don't know.

But images like this one are very helpful for proving my point.

• Erowind likes this

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,764 posts

[September 12, 1919] As an army political agent, Adolf Hitler was sent to report on an emerging far-right group, the German Workers' Party (later renamed the Nazi Party). Finding he agreed with their nationalist, anti-Semitic beliefs, he joins the obscure group as its seventh member.
p7cmzur4r3m31.jpg?width=320&auto=webp&s=

• wjfox likes this

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,764 posts

August 15, 1919

Downtown Baghdad, Iraq

tVHlxPiQevmCiyQXuA5lv-Io-d5y5yxoSz34r36N

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 20,764 posts

The Slonk Hill man from the Iron Age lived 2400 years ago. Mystery surrounds his life and death. He was buried laid in a thick bed of mussel shells which was unusual.
2ROIukM.jpg

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,747 posts
  • LocationLondon

Alexander Graham Bell at the opening of the long-distance telephone line from New York to Chicago, 1892:

Alexander_Graham_Telephone_in_Newyork.jp

• Yuli Ban likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users