Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Historical images, videos and articles - general thread

• Please log in to reply
783 replies to this topic

PhoenixRu

PhoenixRu

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts

Henry Gunther

Henry Nicholas John Gunther (June 6, 1895 – November 11, 1918) was an American soldier and likely the last soldier of any of the belligerents to be killed during World War I. He was killed at 10:59 a.m., about one minute before the Armistice was to take effect at 11:00 a.m.

Sorry for the pedantry, but almost for sure not the last. This just doesn't work this way. Humans aren't robots to furiously fight till 11.00 a.m. and happily relax at 11.01 a.m. There surely were skirmishes which lasted some time after the official armistice. If someone just killed your brother in arms and then appearing from the trenches one minute later, you'll likely kill the bastard: "yes, sir, my watch is a little behind..."

joe00uk

joe00uk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,369 posts
  • LocationUK

Sorry for the pedantry, but almost for sure not the last. This just doesn't work this way. Humans aren't robots to furiously fight till 11.00 a.m. and happily relax at 11.01 a.m. There surely were skirmishes which lasted some time after the official armistice. If someone just killed your brother in arms and then appearing from the trenches one minute later, you'll likely kill the bastard: "yes, sir, my watch is a little behind..."

Yes, very true. Not all the active troops scattered across the world had actually heard about the Armistice on time. One American general even ordered his commanders to keep fighting beyond the Armistice, and later had to face a Congressional hearing for it. The news of the Armistice also took longer to reach East Africa, and then in Ireland and Russia, new civil wars had erupted which both involved troops from the allied powers.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,745 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

Those womens' fashion posts are fascinating, thanks Yuli.

The first interesting trend has to be the Neoclassical trend of the 1800s/early 1810s when ladies decided "What should I be today? How about a Greek nymph."

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,349 posts
  • LocationLondon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users