Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Historical images, videos and articles - general thread

• Please log in to reply
768 replies to this topic

Outlook

Outlook

N'wah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,455 posts
  • LocationBarbary Lands

The Tsavo Man Eaters were a pair of lions that killed 100s of workers building the Kenya-Uganda railway. It's a real life horror story.

http://ezine.nitroex...F/Africa026.pdf

Outlook's secret song of the ~week: https://youtu.be/GMYezR1cwFA

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,914 posts
  • LocationLondon

On This Day – 12th June 1944. Allied forces at Normandy:

Z6jRm0W.jpg

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,914 posts
  • LocationLondon

What are the oldest debts still being paid today?

"The British Consols (war bonds) of the Napoleonic War are still being paid, but there are even older Treasury Gilts from the South Sea Bubble in 1720. As noted by Piketty, the UK has never defaulted on any debt - unlike most other nations. The very oldest active bonds, however, were issued in 1624 by the Hoogheemraadschap Lekdijk Bovendams, a Dutch water board responsible for upkeep of local dykes, and verified to be still paying annuitites in 2003 (Berk, DeMarzo, et al, "Fundamentals of Corporate Finance", 2014)."

http://www.reddit.co...ng_payed_today/

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • 12,190 posts

At the 1936 Berlin Olympics, African American track star Jesse Owens wins his fourth gold medal of the Games in the 4×100-meter relay. His relay team set a new world record of 39.8 seconds, which held for 20 years.

11427852_10152761172176184_6832967891436

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • 22,491 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

impf4.jpg
Imperial Romanov Family at the Tsarskoe Selo, 1910

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

Italian Ufo

Italian Ufo

• Members
  • 12,190 posts

Few moments before the assassination of Prince Ferdinand in Sarajevo (Today Bosnia-Herzegovina). He was the ruler of the Austrian Hungarian Empire and he was shot by Garlic Princip (A Serb and an hero for many and a criminal for others). The events will lead to First World War.

Postcard_for_the_assassination_of_Archdu

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,914 posts
  • LocationLondon

History from a different angle

http://imgur.com/a/WswMg

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 22,491 posts
Princess Anastasia, goofing off with fake teeth

249091F700000578-0-image-m-27_1420914731

I didn't believe this was real at first, but nope— turns off Anastasia loved playing the role of goofball.

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,914 posts
  • LocationLondon

The National Space Invaders Championship held by Atari, 1980.

5Yo11U1.jpg

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 22,491 posts

Oh, so we're in the '80s now?

In that case...

1980 Eruption of Mt. Saint Helens as viewed by climbers on nearby Mt. Adams.

uKnHLek.jpg

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,914 posts
  • LocationLondon

^ How far away were they, I wonder? I'd be rather anxious if I were standing there.

Edit: Looking at Google Maps, it's about 25 miles.

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,914 posts
  • LocationLondon

j4t6e.png

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,914 posts
  • LocationLondon

St Helens was nothing compared to Mount Toba, of course (approx 75,000 years ago).

It almost wiped humanity out...

https://en.wikipedia...astrophe_theory

O91gQrx.jpg

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 22,491 posts

And obviously, of course, Toba will be nothing compared to Yellowstone. Then again, by the time it would have blown we'll almost certainly have refined it.

Outlook

Outlook

N'wah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,455 posts
  • LocationBarbary Lands

Princess Anastasia, goofing off with fake teeth

[Image]

I didn't believe this was real at first, but nope— turns off Anastasia loved playing the role of goofball.

Everytime I'm reminded of Grand Duchess Anastasia, I am reminded of the single most disgusting thing I've read about in history when I was researching her. It was during the disposal of the bodies of the romonavs after they were executed.

While the Chekas threw the bodies in the ditch, some of them, the despicable low-lives that they were, actually touched the naked bodies of the duchesses. One of them said in a interview, quote: “I felt the empress myself and she was warm” another one said “Now I can die in peace because I have squeezed the empress’s breasts”.

source

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,914 posts
  • LocationLondon

Outlook

Outlook

N'wah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,455 posts
  • LocationBarbary Lands

Long-march.jpg

This is a picture of a Chinese leader addressing the survivors of the long march. A retreat by communist forces on foot for over 9000km in 370 days from the Nationalist forces they were fighting during the Chinese civil war. The communist forces were far fewer than that of the Nationalist forces, and they were surrounded by the Nationalists on all regions. During the march, they had to evade numerous warlords, and Nationalist forces. Of the 80,000 that participated, only 8000 lived to see the end of the march.

The long march allowed the communists to be isolated, and away from conflict with other factions in the civil war. Eventually, the communists grew and strengthened their forces, especially during the second sino-japanese war when both Nationalists and Communists signed a truce to fight the Japanese. This then led to the winning of the Communists, and the route of the Nationalists to Taiwan.

In my eyes, the Chinese Civil War is the greatest civil war in modern history. The greatest "civil war" in history would be the Three Kingdoms, a conflict after the fall of the Han dynasty that killed 37,000,000. Chinese history is best history.

Time_Traveller

Time_Traveller

Master of Time Travel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,226 posts
  • LocationLake Wanaka, New Zealand, 2025 C.E.

historical-detachments-12.jpg

The National Capitol of Korea at the end of the avenue in Seoul in early October 1951.

coneyislandandbrooklynrr747.JPG

First Trolley car, Coney Island, 1890

“One, remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Two, never give up work. Work gives you meaning and purpose and life is empty without it. Three, if you are lucky enough to find love, remember it is there and don't throw it away.”

Stephen Hawking

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,914 posts
  • LocationLondon

What is the biggest fuck up in history?

http://www.reddit.co..._up_in_history/

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,914 posts
  • LocationLondon

A little fact I learned today: adjusted to modern currency, the Dutch East India Company was worth $7.4 trillion in the 17th century.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users