Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Your 2015 Predictions

future timeline FutureTimeline predictions 2015

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
105 replies to this topic

Jakob

Jakob

Stable Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,158 posts

9. Mars One falls apart before the reality show hits in 2016.

9. No. It had better not...

Accepting the inevitable is a hard matter. If it helps, I think I can show you how their first launch would look like.

antares1.gif

*covers eyes and screams in anguish*

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,221 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

If that happens to one, then nothing that wasn't unexpected. There are multiple missions and rockets, after all.

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

joe00uk

joe00uk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,077 posts
  • LocationUK

We should check the list and do a mid-year update like Matthew did for his 2014 predictions.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 22,221 posts

So half the year's gone by. Let's get a mid-year check-up of My 2015 Predictions!

We're only 7 days away from The Future™, so why not start a thread?

Timeline predictions

2015-2019 —

Global economic recovery remains slow [word for word from the Reuters title]
Personal genome sequencing enters the mainstream
Five-year survival rates for thyroid cancer are approaching 100% [In the NCDB cohort, the adjusted overall survival at 5 years was 99.3% for those without nodal metastases, and 99% among those with nodal metastases.] 
Virtual reality makes a comeback

2015 —

Lithuania joins the Eurozone
The Eurasian Union is formed
The first solar aircraft to circumnavigate the globe
Expo 2015 is held in Milan, Italy
The Large Hadron Collider reaches its maximum operating power
The world's first fully sustainable, zero-carbon, zero-waste city
The first self-regulating artificial heart
A new generation of hi-tech supercarriers
The United States and South Korea dissolve the Combined Forces Command
The first large-scale solar updraft towers are operational
Queen Elizabeth II is the longest reigning monarch in British history [A few more months; 9 September is the day]
Personal biometric scanners for online banking
DDR4 memory reaches the home PC market
Windows 10 is released by Microsoft
10 nanometre chips enter mass production
The Archival Disc format is launched [No news as of late]
The Carteret Islands are abandoned [Not abandoned]
The New Horizons probe arrives at Pluto
The Dawn probe arrives at Ceres
The first advert on the Moon [Not yet, but they're still going ahead with it in a few weeks]
Electric car ownership reaches 1 million worldwide [We still have yet to know; figures will become available next year]
Trucks with emergency braking systems are mandatory in Europe
The deadline for the Millennium Development Goals

My Predictions

Memristor technology appears in business products
A 3D multicolor hologram is created and runs at a smooth framerate [I never even considered the idea of it being [i]tangible![/i]]
Optical computing breakthrough as Optalysys announces a success
Virgin Galactic succeeds in bringing various celebrities into space [Nope, at least not that the world's aware of]
Elon Musk unveils a new electric vehicle that is affordable to the middle class
Breakthrough in battery technology culminates in a cheap way to store solar energy
Christian revivalism peaks in the US [Naturally, we can't know this until many years after the fact]
Test of the Falcon Heavy [Test incoming, but hasn't occurred yet; may be delayed due to the recent explosive failure of the Falcon 9]
Sunjammer solar sail launched [Sunjammer may have failed, but LightSail went ahead. I consider this a viable replacement!]
Deep learning algorithms surpass human level image and speech recognition
Deep learning also leads to algorithms that can understand multiple paragraphs
Augmented reality market explodes forth, driven by a new array of smartglasses [No one saw the HoloLens coming!]
64 to 128 pixel bionic contact lens unveiled [Something like it, at least]
Private drone ownership becomes a major market in the US, South Korea, Japan, and elsewhere, leading to privacy concerns as well as a memetic phenomenon
First major drone airshow takes place sometime this year
Bionic arms controlled by the mind reach a new developmental stage, capable of finer motor skills.
Humanoid robots will be tested on the battlefield [Not even sure what I meant with this one. I think I meant in a battlefield-esque environment?]
Personal drones become a larger part of military and police unit tactics
Companies begin using robots, including drones, for security and retail
Stephen Hawking passes away [Thank Carl Sagan he's still with us!]
Oil prices fall to significant lows before rebounding, wreaking havoc on oil-dependent nations and corporation(s)
The fall in oil prices leads to a temporary boom in gas guzzler car ownership. As prices return to normal, this leads to decreased consumer spending and boom period for electric vehicles
A photorealistic short animation of multiple people is made [This will do for now, but the year's still young!]
Internet of Things expands deeply into retail such as Wal-Mart [Again, it will take some time for this to be widely noticeable]
Ireland leads the world in graphene production
Mass producible method of creating graphene and carbon nanotubes found [So they say; chances are, there will be 5 more "mass-production" breakthroughs before we actually begin to notice graphene in everything]
Scientists succeed in creating a sub-room-temperature superconductor (i.e. 0°C) [Not exactly 0°, but still an unbelievable step forward]
Fusion breakthrough, as a reactor releases more energy than was put in— sustained [Nothing as of today]
A major hack cripples a corporation to the point of bankruptcy, leading to a panic over cyberterrorism [Whaddya know! It's a company that hacks stuff that got hacked!]
Oculus Rift released with at least a 1660p display, to major acclaim [Confirmed for 2016 release]
Flexible electronic paper enters use
North Korea detonates a nuclear weapon with a yield larger than 20 kilotons [It's not that time of year yet]
Malaysia becomes the latest East Asian economic success story [They're doing well, but nothing exceptional]
The first open trade between the US and Cuba since 1962 begins [Not yet, but it's very close to happening]
Marijuana legalization skyrockets
(personal throwaway: stoner rock overtakes metalcore as dominant hard rock genre) [At the time, this was just a joke. Now it's actually starting to look plausible]
Major blockbuster brings transhumanism into public consciousness [No such blockbuster yet. No, Transcendence doesn't count. With all the popular AI movies and TV shows, it's definitely not impossible, though]
Intelligence amplification of a mouse sparks ethical debates
Scientists succeed in isolating mammoth genome, leading to a test fertilization [No fertilization yet. But we are so close, it's stupid]
Solar panel prices plunge faster than utility industries can keep up with [Just read the last 50 pages, all it is is wanking about how cheap solar is getting]
Nanomotors, nanoengines, and nanogears combined to create a working hard nanobot [Not that I'm aware of, though we do have a nifty microbot]
Brain to brain communication replicated in labs multiple times
Cyberkinesis products enter the market to lukewarm sales
Stem cell treatments enter commercial medical care [Now that we've gotten past the debates, it's almost routine]
Homosexuality legalized in a conservative state ["State." If "State" now means NATION.]
Global carbon emissions remain on pace [Surprisingly, global carbon emissions seem to be declining]
First successful cyberkinetic indie game released [Not yet, give it a few months]
Google's self driving car passes 1 million miles of travel [Nope. They're close to passing 2 million miles of travel!]
A semi-autonomous car is released to the market
D-Wave releases a 2,000+ qubit quantum computer ["D-Wave commercializes 1152 qubit chip but there are 2048 physical qubits so some chips will have more than 1152 qubits active"]
Soft nanobots enter medical trials
3D printing market reaches mass consumer retail
Back to the Future styled technology enters the market
Trials begin to test robots in nursing homes
Deep learning algorithm convinces more than 30% of people that it's human [Not yet, but getting close]
The Internet reaches 1 zettabyte in size [Hasn't happened yet, but it will]
Multiple projects converge to grant free internet access to world's remaining unwired population [In progress]

Over all, most came true. Most of the stuff that didn't come true will happen by the end of the year.

Not bad... all of that within the first half of the year, too...

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

future-me

future-me

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Lithuania joins the Eurozone
The Eurasian Union is formed
The first solar aircraft to circumnavigate the globe - en route
Expo 2015 is held in Milan, Italy
The Large Hadron Collider reaches its maximum operating power - I think so
The world's first fully sustainable, zero-carbon, zero-waste city
The first self-regulating artificial heart
A new generation of hi-tech supercarriers - expected 2016

The United States and South Korea dissolve the Combined Forces Command - on schedule
The first large-scale solar updraft towers are operational
Queen Elizabeth II is the longest reigning monarch in British history - due September
Personal biometric scanners for online banking
DDR4 memory reaches the home PC market
Windows 10 is released by Microsoft - due 2015
The Archival Disc format is launched
The Carteret Islands are abandoned
The New Horizons probe arrives at Pluto
The Dawn probe arrives at Ceres 
The first advert on the Moon
Electric car ownership reaches 1 million worldwide 

Trucks with emergency braking systems are mandatory in Europe
The deadline for the Millennium Development Goals

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 22,221 posts

http://www.futuretim...re-predictions/

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: future, timeline, FutureTimeline, predictions, 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users