Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Would you buy yourself a smartwatch?

smartwatch poll buy Apple watch battery next 5 years wearables

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

Poll: smartwatch poll (21 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you buy yourself a smartwatch as described in the post?

1. yes (3 votes [14.29%])

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

2. Voted no (8 votes [38.10%])

Percentage of vote: 38.10%

3. yes but it would have to be even better/even cheaper (10 votes [47.62%])

Percentage of vote: 47.62%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Kynareth

Kynareth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Would you buy yourself a smartwatch with Apple Watch capabilities(42mm, Sapphire glass) if the battery lasted longer (one week of average use) and the cost would be 200$ ?

hwatch_clockface-970-80.jpg

Jakob

Jakob

Groveling Goblin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,080 posts

I would get a smartwatch if they were reasonably cheap. It would have all the fuctionality of my Garmin, but I could take pictures and edit Wikipedia while out on a long bike ride =)

Kynareth

Kynareth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

You seriously want to edit wikipedia on the go with a smartwatch? Why not use a smartphone?

Jakob

Jakob

Groveling Goblin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,080 posts

You seriously want to edit wikipedia on the go with a smartwatch? Why not use a smartphone?

Kidding.

FuturistUndertaking

FuturistUndertaking

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationGermany

I would maybe consider buying one if it was a stand-alone product and not connected to your smartphone (They already exist but I'm cool with my BlackBerry to be honest - I dont need to be connected 24/7). IMO the Smartwatch (like Apple) is another perfect example of "innovation"  that is not necessary or cool but marketed to the fanboy's needs who will go bonkers about it.

If you're bored, check out my blog on social, economic and environmental change http://futuristunder....wordpress.com/

I'm still figuring out what I want to write about, so any suggestions, problems and interesting issues in general are very much appreciated.

tygrus

tygrus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Once it becomes a true health monitoring device/personal assistant, then it will have value.  That could be a few years away though. 

Lots of people would wear it for BP and pulse and activity levels, but just not there yet.

GenX

GenX

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,045 posts
  • LocationSo Cal

I was not going to at all, but then I watched the video that Apple put out about all of the things that it can do, and actually, I think I'm sold.  The fitness stuff is super cool, and it would be convenient to have some of the apps right there rather than getting out your phone (in particular the currency converter since I travel a lot).  Now I'm just debating whether to get one now or wait for the 2nd generation.

The only thing we ever want is more

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,323 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA
Yes. I'm already planning on buying an Apple Watch... next year.

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

FuturistUndertaking

FuturistUndertaking

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationGermany

I was not going to at all, but then I watched the video that Apple put out about all of the things that it can do, and actually, I think I'm sold.  The fitness stuff is super cool, and it would be convenient to have some of the apps right there rather than getting out your phone (in particular the currency converter since I travel a lot).  Now I'm just debating whether to get one now or wait for the 2nd generation.

See, that's what I really don't get. Do we really need that much convenience? Looking at your wrist rather than pulling out your cellphone? I have never heard of someone who complained about pulling out their iPhone in order to tell the time because they didn't wear a watch. 

When I grew up they launched those watches that could magically change your TV channel .... people didn't give a shit about that. They thought it was kind of cool and some actually bought them. Did they use them? Never. Attitudes towards technology have changed so much, it is crazy.

If you're bored, check out my blog on social, economic and environmental change http://futuristunder....wordpress.com/

I'm still figuring out what I want to write about, so any suggestions, problems and interesting issues in general are very much appreciated.

Mike the average

Mike the average

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts
I dont think they are selling well otherwise we wouldve heard the figures by now. I think they are still a bit gimmicky and they look even worse. The only use i can think of now is a compass. I would rather wait for smart glasses, im already mentally prepared to look full retard in them.
'Force always attracts men of low morality' - Einstein
'Great spirits always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds' - Einstein

FuturistUndertaking

FuturistUndertaking

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationGermany

I dont think they are selling well otherwise we wouldve heard the figures by now. I think they are still a bit gimmicky and they look even worse. 

true. Just googled about the success of the Applewatch and Apple not releasing any numbers on sales might be a sign for it to not meet its expectations. Still, reading those numbers shows that there are a lot of Innovators and Early adopters that will drive the market, so that it would never become a total flop. 

Kynareth

Kynareth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Apple Watch is so ridiculously expensive that I cannot understand why an average consumer might buy it. Maybe if I had a lot of money I would buy it but that's not the case.

FuturistUndertaking

FuturistUndertaking

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationGermany

Apple isn't even trying .... god these ad's are useless.

http://www.adweek.co...pression/89812 

Sciencerocks

Sciencerocks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,210 posts

If it had full voice command and I could write by speaking, lock my front door, turn on my lights and start my car. Well, I might get one then.

GenX

GenX

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,045 posts
  • LocationSo Cal

If it had full voice command and I could write by speaking, lock my front door, turn on my lights and start my car. Well, I might get one then.

Check out the Amazon Echo.  It can do some of those things with more things coming.

The only thing we ever want is more

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: smartwatch, poll, buy, Apple, watch, battery, next 5 years, wearables

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users