Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Cyberpunk 2077

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

Born Again Singularitarian

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,921 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

Cyberpunk 2077 has been removed from the Playstation store, all customers will be offered a full refund

Cyberpunk 2077 Refunds
SIE strives to ensure a high level of customer satisfaction, therefore we will begin to offer a full refund for all gamers who have purchased Cyberpunk 2077 via PlayStation Store.  SIE will also be removing Cyberpunk 2077 from PlayStation Store until further notice.

Once we have confirmed that you purchased Cyberpunk 2077 via PlayStation Store, we will begin processing your refund.  Please note that completion of the refund may vary based on your payment method and financial institution.

What a terrible fall from grace!

A month ago, we were expecting this game to rank up there with the likes of Deus ExGrand Theft Auto 5, Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, and Metal Gear Solid

Now, at least the 8th gen versions are regarded right alongside the likes of No Man's Sky (at launch), Sonic the Hedgehog 2006Ride to Hell: Retribution, and Superman 64.

It's PS4 Metacritic score is abysmal. Its Xbox One reviews are roughly equivalent. Even its PC score is "fine" at best. 8 years we waited for this...

The score may change as patches are released, so here's what it looked like on December 17th, 2020

jcDKAj9.jpg

They may very well make a comeback after patching all the problems, but the damage has been done. And that's the chief issue with this culture of "release a game unfinished and finish it later"— we humans are creatures of first-impressions, and if you give a bad first impression, you have to work your ass off just to redeem yourself. No Man's Sky, for example, has long since been improved into a state where it's actually really solid, if still a far cry from what was hyped. But most people still only remember the shambolic launch state and won't give the game a second chance. 

CD Projekt Red had sloppy launches for The Witcher 2 and 3 which they improved greatly over time, but they weren't quite in the public eye back then. After the explosive success of The Witcher 3 and the hype for the promise of Cyberpunk 2077, people were expecting something legendary. Literally Deus Ex: Human Revolution meets Grand Theft Auto 5 with a character creator straight out of Saints Row or Black Desert Online

This catastrophic launch, however, is going to be much harder to claw back from because most people aren't coming on after everything's been fixed like The Witcher 3. This game had 8 million preorders— and I'd imagine a massive number of them were on PS4 and Xbox One.  Not to mention that the bugs aren't the only issues. The game itself feels half-baked. It feels less like it was in development for 8 years and more like it was in development for 1 and a half. I get that they put most of their focus on The Witcher 3 for a while and only seriously started working on this when that one was finished, but this is just...

Good god, man!

MORAL OF THE STORY: DON'T PREORDER GAMES. IF YOU PREORDER GAMES, YOU FUCKED UP. IT DOESN'T MATTER HOW GOOD THE GAME LOOKS BEFORE LAUNCH. DON'T PREORDER GAMES.

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 22,921 posts

I just learned Sony themselves pulled the game. It wasn't even requested by CDPR like some other games (I think Batman: Arkham Knight) was. Reading through the comments on Reddit reaffirm this. If it was requested by CDPR, that's one thing. Sony refusing to sell their game themselves? That's like how retailers refused to stock Sega Saturns, basically killing Sega's hardware line in the long run. This is unprecedented.

throwmeaway1784

This is fucking huge. From full screen advertisements on the front page of the store to being delisted in less than a week

tkzant

After CDPR lied about fixing bugs to pass certification and then tried to redirect anger towards Sony and Microsoft with the refunds they absolutely had it coming. These people just burned bridges with both major platform holders.

Gance-Davin-Gance

Hooooly shit. That has to be the absolute lowest blow to CDPR’s reputation you can possibly make. Straight up refusing to sell their game on what’s probably their largest market.

Wonder if Xbox follows suit. God damn. That is devastating. Even the shareholders will be angry about this one.

But it’s kind of hilarious. I tried refunding a few days ago and a customer service rep told me to wait for the patches that fix the game and that they wouldn’t be refunding me.

This is unprecedented. Wow. Has this ever happened before? In just one week, CDPR went from being perceived as the wholesome, pro-consumer, can-do-no-wrong studio to being the super memeable "the only AAA game studio to ever put out a game so bad, Sony refused to sell it" guys. The "worse than Anthem and Fallout 76" guys. Yowch.

I feel sorry for the devs who tried their hardest and just weren't given the time, money or resources to pull it all off.

EDIT: Honestly, I wouldn’t be surprised if they announced they’re scrapping the multiplayer altogether to focus on the game’s state and that they’re making the DLC free. They’re gonna have to No Man’s Sky this shit. Whatever the case, probably gonna be a long-winded non-apology tomorrow.

This is fucking crazy. A AAA super hyped title so broken on console it gets removed from PSN. Xbox will probably follow suit. CDPR did this to themselves. I've never seen a swifter fall from grace in gaming than CDPR this past week. But good on Sony for setting a precedent for future companies to not drop unfinished games like this

I have been gaming for 35 years and I have never seen such a rapid, monumental fall from grace like CDPR have achieved in the past week. It's actually quite impressive just how successfully they have destroyed their reputation. It'd be funny if it didn't mean yet more crunch for the development team. The management needs to go.

And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

Erowind

Erowind

Kronstadt sailors did nothing wrong!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,648 posts

Yeah, I'll wait a few months, or perhaps even a year before playing it.

Perfect example of why I never pre-order.

Btw, on a related note – is it just me, or do a very large percentage of games now appear to be "early access", yet available to purchase?

Going through my Steam wishlist, I have numerous games that look awesome, but aren't yet finished.

Yah, lots of games are doing that now. Early access can be useful for indie devs and has brought us a lot of good games from people who otherwise wouldn't have the money to develop.  But when I see well funded teams doing it it feels like a cash grab. It's like the descent in quality from expansion packs being the good standard --> 5-15$ DLCs that only map packs or equivalents --> microtransactions. Gaming is at its best imo when games release playable with big near game sized expansion packs coming down the pipe like The Shivering Isles for Oblivion or Brood War for Starcraft.

Zaphod

Zaphod

Esteemed Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts
  • LocationUK

I'm still looking forward to playing the game, but also waiting for a few months until it has been sufficiently patched up. 

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 13,503 posts
  • LocationLondon

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 13,503 posts
  • LocationLondon

It's just laughably bad.

Zaphod

Zaphod

Esteemed Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts
  • LocationUK

In some ways part of me wants to play it now and experience some of these hilarious glitches!

Erowind

Erowind

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,648 posts
That part where they got on the monorail really shows the potential for what the game could have been or might still be like one day. It's impressive, they needed more time to iron it out.

Zaphod

Zaphod

Esteemed Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts
  • LocationUK

Yeah I think Night City is aesthetically pretty impressive and worth playing just for wandering around a bit, but only if you have decent specs to run it and once the problems have been ironed out. I think I first played the Witcher 3 about a year after it came out, I didn't understand why people were making such a fuss about bugs, but that's because by then most of them had been dealt with. I'm sure the same will happen with Cyberpunk.

SeedNotYetSprouted

SeedNotYetSprouted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Hmm, now Microsoft is offering full refunds for it: https://twitter.com/...983446865801224

This seems a little extraneous. The game runs decently on the Series X, PS5, and on the cloud platforms. There's no benefit to removing it directly from the storefront besides sh!ting on CD Projekt's reputation even more.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 22,921 posts

It's just so disappointing to think this is how it turned out. Like the star child everyone hyped up as being the Next Big Thing and the apple of the family, but in the span of a week they're now disowned and disavowed and on the streets with a bunch of rough-sounding people calling the home asking for their money.

Erowind

Erowind

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,648 posts

I think 8 years is more than enough time. It's more likely that development resources weren't allocated properly and skeleton crews were working on it at points over its lifetime. The game feels more like it got 2-3 years of solid development which for a game Cyberpunk's size is way way too little. It's a shame to see CD Project Red fall to the same nonsense other game companies have been doing for years. They've done such a stellar job with GOG and The Witcher series I had expected they had more than enough revenue to take their time and make the game right. I thought they were up there with valve in terms of development philosophy and weren't beholden to the same pressures a lot of studios are. I was super wrong. And the workers as usual are going to have their resumes marred by this if they ever try to get a job elsewhere in the industry even though the developers themselves clearly have immense talent and were failed by management.

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 13,503 posts
  • LocationLondon

"I have no words. I have none."

https://twitter.com/...411599799136257

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 22,921 posts

15reh0esg7661.jpg

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 22,921 posts

Man, it's just so disappointing to see this game fail. This is what hurts the most, I think, and why this game has been such a disaster. The game itself is okay. 8.5/10 if without any bugs, though obviously much lower in its current state. If you can actually play it, it's a fun game, I think few would deny that. This, however, is already a let down considering how long it's been in development. 

The more I think about it, the fewer cases I can recall where a game in (non-early access) development longer than 5 years ended well. I'm most reminded of Duke Nukem Forever and Too Human

It's weird to think that, just a month ago, everyone was so certain this was going to be one of the greatest games and works of cyberpunk media of all time. And now it's just a mess.

NoMCmanga

NoMCmanga

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationUSA,NY

Guys, any advices, is that worth to go for cyberpunk now? Or I should wait for some patches?

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 22,921 posts

Wait for patches. They may be coming in the spring.

Kynareth

Kynareth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

In terms of AI or level of interactivity, it's like GTA 3 meets Deus Ex. 20 years old standards + lots of glitches. I'm glad I haven't bought it and I don't plan on buying, ever. To worsen things, GOG deleted a game from their store because China didn't like it. So, I don't plan on supporting CDPR in any way, I only take free games on GOG. However, CDPR isn't the worst of them all. Activision Blizzard, EA Games, Konami and Bethesda are even worse.

I'm waiting for games which finally significantly move forward in areas like gameplay, NPC AI, collision, physics or number of things to do. Graphics is the only thing which improves exponentially, every other area lags far behind. Some games like Fallout 76 lag behind even in graphics. I played 2 hours of RDR2 on PS4 and guess what? It looks much better than CP2077 on PS4 and has no glitches.

Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban

• Moderators
  • 22,921 posts

There's already loads of video essays on YouTube detailing how things likely went wrong. 

Also good mods coming out for PC

Cyber_Rebel

Cyber_Rebel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 467 posts
  • LocationNew York

Going to wait a year before even trying this, when many patches and updated mods have hit. The launch reminds me much of Mass Effect Andromeda's, which suffered many of the same issues. Really is a shame, but the idea that modders (pseudo hackers in a way) can salvage this broken corporately corrupt game, may end up being the most meta cyberpunk thing about it.

There's a lot of potential, I don't understand how things ended up like this when they had so much time and a large budget/dev team. I said the same thing about the above example, (to be expected I guess from EA) but it still boggles the mind. Everything seemed like it was going so well...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users