Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Peak phosphorus 2033

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,410 posts
  • LocationLondon
What will replace phosphorus?

truthiness

truthiness

The Squire of Gothos

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts
  • LocationKalamazoo MI
Oh, stop worrying... it'll be fine... we just do like we do with salt. When people have trouble with salt in their diets, its really a sodium problem, so we find that most artificial "diet" foods and drinks just go one level down the periodic table and use potassium chloride instead of sodium chloride. Sodium problem solved! So, let's just see... one level down from phosphorus is..... Arsenic. Oh. Well, damn.
You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us, and the world will be as one

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow
Nah, we'll just have to learn to collect phosphorus from sewers, dumps and waters, that's all. I'll be painful with overpopulation and no fossil fuels, but well - maybe this will force population reduction.
"I walk alone and do no evil, having only a few wishes, just like an elephant in the forest."

"Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone."

TreeHandThing

TreeHandThing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts
We're screwed. Combine this with the extinction of the honeybee and messed up rainfall patterns due to global warming, and you have the death of 1 billion+ people.

stevo

stevo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis, IN
i don't see how we would reduce our population We can't kill people. that would be evil!

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow
It may reduce on it's own, for example due to mass starvation caused by climate change and skyrocketing food deficit.
"I walk alone and do no evil, having only a few wishes, just like an elephant in the forest."

zEVerzan

zEVerzan

Orange Animating Android

• Members
  • 3,743 posts
  • LocationSome Underground Sweatshop Probably
Can asteroids contain traces of phosphorous? I know that they often contain organic materials and amino acids but I don't know if that includes phosphorous. If so, and we start mining asteroids soon enough, we'll have this crisis in the bag.
I always imagined the future as a time of more reason, empathy, and peace, not less. It's time for a change.
Attention is currency in the "free marketplace of ideas".
I do other stuff besides gripe about the future! Twitter Youtube DeviantArt +-PATREON-+

Alric

Alric

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,087 posts
A combination of hydroponics and better methods of capturing phosphorus will probably solve the issue. Though we really do need to start switching to other methods of farming and stuff now. It isn't a quick process, so waiting until people are starving to start making the switch isn't very wise.

Logically Irrational

Logically Irrational

For Lack of a Better Name

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts
  • LocationHoover Dam
I look at it this way. Peak phosphorus is going to arrive after the problems from peak oil and maybe even coal have already hit. The reliance on oil and coal is much more widely appreciated than phosphorus. As we hit these other barrier first, I imagine that the shifts in society towards sustainability that are a result of peak oil will help cushion the collision with peak phosphorus. A lot of the reforms to agriculture necessary because of fossil fuel's role in farming will translate over to alleviating the effects of peak phosphorus. I think we're much better prepared for peak oil than peak phosphorus, so the fact that we'll hit the "easier" one, so to speak, first will likely prepare us for the next. Get a better appreciation for resource shortages in general, start looking at the state of other supplies, that kind of thing. It's not like we're going to continue with our current consumption and waste right up until 2033 and then collapse. The proceeding peaks won't let us.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!

SG-1

SG-1

• Members
  • 3,653 posts
  • LocationUS - Arkansas
Maybe verticle farming could also help? We won't be able to use fertilizers but we also wont have to worry about bugs so we won't need pesticides. Food will taste homegrown

Hey.  Stop reading.  The post is over.

Logically Irrational

Logically Irrational

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts
  • LocationHoover Dam
That would definitely help, but some level of phosphorus will be necessary no matter what for certain biological processes if I'm not mistaken. It's all a matter of getting it back in balance. Nature has managed the system fine for a long, long time. We're only different now because we waste much more than you're average mammal.

SG-1

SG-1

• Members
  • 3,653 posts
  • LocationUS - Arkansas
Do you really think all the phosphorus will be gone? We don't survive because companies use phosphorus as fertilizer. I will have to do some research on this.

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow
But really - phosphorus is not oil. It's still on this planet. When you burn oil it's basically gone (you need millions of years for it to "regrow"). But phosphorus is an element it doesn't vanish it's not burned up. So seriously - we'll have just find ways to reclaim it.

Logically Irrational

Logically Irrational

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts
  • LocationHoover Dam

Do you really think all the phosphorus will be gone? We don't survive because companies use phosphorus as fertilizer.
I will have to do some research on this.

Haha, no. Not at all. I'm someone who is fully against wanton doomsday scenarios. Craven's got it right. It's not like oil. The phosphorus isn't gone, we just need to develop new ways to reclaim it. In fact, the phosphorus is still in the same cycle, we'd just have to wait for geological uplift to remove it from the oceans. :biggrin:

Logically Irrational

Logically Irrational

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts
  • LocationHoover Dam
Here's some more reading on it from Biofuels Digest:
http://gma.yahoo.com...topstories.html

Logically Irrational

Logically Irrational

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts
  • LocationHoover Dam
Ok, I also found this, which I post here with some trepidation I suppose. What's the track record for the IFA and IFDC? Does anyone know? Is this legit? Is it bullshit?

http://www.fertilize...-peak-phosphate

There's this interesting page on phosphorus:
http://www.ifdc.org/...es/Global_TraPs

SG-1

SG-1

• Members
  • 3,653 posts
  • LocationUS - Arkansas
Thanks, I'll read them when I get the time.

Logically Irrational

Logically Irrational

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts
  • LocationHoover Dam
So is that a response to the biofuels digest article?

OrbitalResonance

OrbitalResonance

Cosmic Emperor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,233 posts
  • LocationDeep Space
Asteroid Mining

We make our world significant by the courage of our questions and the depth of our answers. - Carl Sagan

Ru1138

Ru1138

• Members
  • 3,190 posts
  • LocationIllinois

I know this is an old topic, but I've found something that is pertinent.

Sustainable P Initiative

SPI is ASU's timely and solution-driven response to what might be called “the biggest problem you’ve never heard of.” By closing the phosphorus cycle, countries, cities, and families will become more secure and more affluent, while living in a healthier environment free of the degrading impacts of widespread nutrient pollution.

What difference does it make?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users