Welcome to FutureTimeline.forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

History of Humans & Primates

humans primates cro magnon neanderthals proto-human evolution hunter-gatherer human evolution australopithecus primate evolution

• Please log in to reply
252 replies to this topic

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,430 posts
  • LocationLondon
A very thought-provoking diagram - http://www.theoildru...on_timeline.JPG Makes you wonder if that spike is going to come plummeting back down...

atoblade

atoblade

Time Lord

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Could be me but doesn't seem to be loading http://www.futuretim...tyle_emoticons/animate/confused.gif

OrbitalResonance

OrbitalResonance

Cosmic Emperor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,233 posts
  • LocationDeep Space
Same here, ill try to embed it
Posted Image

Nope, didn't embed properly

We make our world significant by the courage of our questions and the depth of our answers. - Carl Sagan

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,430 posts
  • LocationLondon
The Oil Drum website is down at the moment.

someone

someone

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

A very thought-provoking diagram -

http://www.theoildru...on_timeline.JPG

Makes you wonder if that spike is going to come plummeting back down...

probaby the spike will, who can afford that many people, it'll go up to about 10 billion, but will drop down, just like this very site said: marriage will be a minority, and that will mean that people cannot afford a family, and if that happens, birth rates go down, so in the next 100 years, when you see a married man or woman with their family, you may be thinking "rich guy" because he/she can afford his/her wife/husband and kids. The reason why a family will cost so much is that there are so many people here, that it will be hard to support. The spike will not "plummet" as people still give birth, but it'll decrease, but once we solve the issues, it'll shoot strait up

atoblade

atoblade

Time Lord

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

A very thought-provoking diagram -

http://www.theoildru...on_timeline.JPG

Makes you wonder if that spike is going to come plummeting back down...

probaby the spike will, who can afford that many people, it'll go up to about 10 billion, but will drop down, just like this very site said: marriage will be a minority, and that will mean that people cannot afford a family, and if that happens, birth rates go down, so in the next 100 years, when you see a married man or woman with their family, you may be thinking "rich guy" because he/she can afford his/her wife/husband and kids. The reason why a family will cost so much is that there are so many people here, that it will be hard to support. The spike will not "plummet" as people still give birth, but it'll decrease, but once we solve the issues, it'll shoot strait up

These days marriage and kids are very different things. I think there will be many more kids because after peak oil education will drop due to collapse of banking system and therefore money. Everyone (most anyhow) will almost over night be swung into poverty and when large amount of people are in poverty the birth rate (and death rate) rise, just look at Africa or India.

Oo and some of those dates aren't that accurate on the diagram, the earth was formed 4.56Ga ago and the 1st known rock is in Australia and it's 3.8Ga (although there are detritus Zircon crystals that have been redeposited that yield an age of 4.1Ga). The first life is estimated to be 3.7Ga as there is Carbon-12 rich isotopes in rocks found in Greenland and organic life favors C12 for growth thus making it concentrated.

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,430 posts
  • LocationLondon

Caiman

Caiman

Funky Duck

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts
  • LocationManchester, England
Here’s an interesting subject matter, discussed in the below article by the BBC. In general though I would like to discuss the evolution of the human race and how we came to be the dominant and only ‘intelligent’ (in terms of language, technology and culture) species on the planet. The evidence seems to suggest that the intelligence and ingenuity we enjoy today evolved before homo sapiens and was shared by a number of species, we just happen to be the ones that survived all of the tumultuous events that lead to the extinction of the others.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...onment-13874671

Not so very long ago, we shared this planet with several other species of human, all of them clever, resourceful and excellent hunters, so why did only Homo sapiens survive?

Huge debates rage about human origins, but the broad consensus among scientists is that all the different species of human that have ever existed were descended from ape-like creatures that walked upright in Africa more than six million years ago.

These creatures had many descendants, most of which became extinct, but the first creature we would recognize as human first appeared in Africa two million years ago.

Known as Homo ergaster, they made tools and were proficient hunters. His bones suggest he would have been a powerful runner, capable of speeds that would rival a modern Olympic athlete.

H. ergaster seems to have evolved during a long period of terrible drought which dried out tropical rainforests and created vast deserts.

This human species was equipped to cope with heat. They would have been smooth and largely hairless, allowing them to sweat more efficiently. H. ergaster could also travel and hunt in the middle of the day, when most animals rest.

And we know that he travelled long distances because he did not stay in Africa. A hungry meat eater, ergaster became the first human to leave Africa and colonise Asia.

Here, in a new and lush environment, he evolved and got a new name, Homo erectus.

Archaeological records show they spread over an area ranging from Turkey to China, but the population may not have been that large.

"These were small groups of hunters and gatherers," says Professor Chris Stringer, an anthropologist at the Natural History Museum.

"These are people that are being very mobile, in open country, to get to their food ahead of the competition. So in that sense, they're very like us in terms of their overall body shape and body build."

Read the rest: http://www.bbc.co.uk...onment-13874671

~Jon

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow
It's an interesting input, that might have impact on Drake's equation. Maybe early intelligence has some kind of hightened danger period, where it serves in emergence of civilisation but also makes species lazy, less vigilant or something. Maybe there are numerous periods like that, where intelligent species are prone to extinction: - Early society. - Nuclear technology / biological technology that can lead to mutual destruction during wars. - Depletion of natural resources / destruction of climate due to unregulated expotential growth of population.
"I walk alone and do no evil, having only a few wishes, just like an elephant in the forest."

"Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone."

jjf3

jjf3

Not a Member of the Tea Party! Just a Concerned Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,046 posts
  • LocationHolmdel NJ/Tampa Fl

It's an interesting input, that might have impact on Drake's equation. Maybe early intelligence has some kind of hightened danger period, where it serves in emergence of civilisation but also makes species lazy, less vigilant or something. Maybe there are numerous periods like that, where intelligent species are prone to extinction:
- Early society.
- Nuclear technology / biological technology that can lead to mutual destruction during wars.
- Depletion of natural resources / destruction of climate due to unregulated expotential growth of population.

This very reason was why the Ancient Alien Hypothesis intrigued me so much. I love thinking about the alternative theories of our own intelligence and it's origins.

We don't know, or hardly know anything, about the past humans except that they did indeed exist. There were in fact many mass extinctions throughout time and some throughout human existence. I remember reading once that we are all descendants of a few surviving humans from a massive Natural Disaster that nearly wiped out all of humanity sometime in the past. They did some type of genetic experiments to prove this.

And speaking of aliens and the Drake Equation, why would it be possible for Earth to spring up many different species of intelligent life, and it would be impossible for any single planet in the universe to have it? I'm not buying that for a minute lolz. I don't understand why some people seem to blindly follow their faith and beliefs in God, but yet the notion that intelligent alien life can exist in the universe seems impossible.

Sorry, I got off track a little bit lolz. It's likely we may never know the answer as to why we are the way we are and how we evolved to become this way. It is one the many mysteries of our strange little planet. Human intelligence, I think is one of the many holes in theory of evolution!
"Did you really expect some utopian fantasy to rise from the ashes?" Thomas Zarek-- Battlestar Galactica.

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow
hehe yeah you drifted a bit. By Drake's equation I mainly meant general likeness of emergence of advanced intelligent, there just may be more problems with that.
"I walk alone and do no evil, having only a few wishes, just like an elephant in the forest."

jjf3

jjf3

Not a Member of the Tea Party! Just a Concerned Conservative

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,046 posts
  • LocationHolmdel NJ/Tampa Fl

hehe yeah you drifted a bit. By Drake's equation I mainly meant general likeness of emergence of advanced intelligent, there just may be more problems with that.

yeah as you can tell I'm not too happy with the Drake Equation, but its the best theory we got right now to measure supposed intelligent life.
"Did you really expect some utopian fantasy to rise from the ashes?" Thomas Zarek-- Battlestar Galactica.

Craven

Craven

Elephant in the forest

• Members
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationPoland, Cracow
Well it's just indicator of how much obstacles intelligent life has :)

Dead Redshirt

Dead Redshirt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts
I'd recommend reading the Neanderthal Parallax by Robert Sawyer. It's fiction, but the thought-provoking kind, in which there's a parallel Neanderthal world where humans have ceased to exist and Neanderthals rule the world. Eventually the two worlds build a portal between the two in order to cross over and some of the explorations done in this trilogy are rather interesting. Worth a read.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. - Jack Layton - 1950 - 2011

TreeHandThing

TreeHandThing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts
Why is there only one human species? Homo Erectus simply died out, as most species do eventually. Homo Neanderthalensis had a bigger brain than humans, was stronger, and could shrug off near-fatal injuries, yet, humans outcompeted them. Humans were faster and smarter.

Caiman

Caiman

Funky Duck

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts
  • LocationManchester, England
So that's where the Neanderthal's went...

All Non-Africans Part Neanderthal, Genetics Confirm

If your heritage is non-African, you are part Neanderthal, according to a new study in the July issue of Molecular Biology and Evolution. Discovery News has been reporting on human/Neanderthal interbreeding for some time now, so this latest research confirms earlier findings.

Damian Labuda of the University of Montreal's Department of Pediatrics and the CHU Sainte-Justine Research Center conducted the study with his colleagues. They determined some of the human X chromosome originates from Neanderthals, but only in people of non-African heritage.

"This confirms recent findings suggesting that the two populations interbred," Labuda was quoted as saying in a press release. His team believes most, if not all, of the interbreeding took place in the Middle East, while modern humans were migrating out of Africa and spreading to other regions.

The ancestors of Neanderthals left Africa about 400,000 to 800,000 years ago. They evolved over the millennia mostly in what are now France, Spain, Germany and Russia. They went extinct, or were simply absorbed into the modern human population, about 30,000 years ago.

Neanderthals possessed the gene for language and had sophisticated music, art and tool craftsmanship skills, so they must have not been all that unattractive to modern humans at the time.

"In addition, because our methods were totally independent of Neanderthal material, we can also conclude that previous results were not influenced by contaminating artifacts," Labuda said.

~Jon

Sorok

Sorok

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationQuebec

So that's where the Neanderthal's went...

All Non-Africans Part Neanderthal, Genetics Confirm

If your heritage is non-African, you are part Neanderthal, according to a new study in the July issue of Molecular Biology and Evolution. Discovery News has been reporting on human/Neanderthal interbreeding for some time now, so this latest research confirms earlier findings.

Damian Labuda of the University of Montreal's Department of Pediatrics and the CHU Sainte-Justine Research Center conducted the study with his colleagues. They determined some of the human X chromosome originates from Neanderthals, but only in people of non-African heritage.

"This confirms recent findings suggesting that the two populations interbred," Labuda was quoted as saying in a press release. His team believes most, if not all, of the interbreeding took place in the Middle East, while modern humans were migrating out of Africa and spreading to other regions.

The ancestors of Neanderthals left Africa about 400,000 to 800,000 years ago. They evolved over the millennia mostly in what are now France, Spain, Germany and Russia. They went extinct, or were simply absorbed into the modern human population, about 30,000 years ago.

Neanderthals possessed the gene for language and had sophisticated music, art and tool craftsmanship skills, so they must have not been all that unattractive to modern humans at the time.

"In addition, because our methods were totally independent of Neanderthal material, we can also conclude that previous results were not influenced by contaminating artifacts," Labuda said.

Dammit, my wife has me pegged!

lol.
"Every time you are tempted to react in the same old way, ask if you want to be a prisoner of the past or a pioneer of the future"

wjfox

wjfox

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,430 posts
  • LocationLondon
Longer winters led to bigger eyes

A study of human skulls shows humans living at high latitude evolved bigger eyes and brains to see in poor light.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...onment-14279729

Posted Image

Time_Traveller

Time_Traveller

Master of Time Travel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,158 posts
  • LocationThe Sol System, 7 Billion C.E.

New research sheds light on why, after 300,000 years of domination, European Neanderthals abruptly disappeared. Researchers from the University of Cambridge have discovered that modern humans coming from Africa swarmed the region, arriving with over ten times the population as the Neanderthal inhabitants.

Posted Image

From http://www.scienceda...10728144928.htm

Never knew that Modern Humans aka Us as a whole had ten times the population of the Neanderthals, What do members think?

“One, remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Two, never give up work. Work gives you meaning and purpose and life is empty without it. Three, if you are lucky enough to find love, remember it is there and don't throw it away.”

Stephen Hawking

Shimmy

Shimmy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts
wait, I thought some other people just proved that we are part neanderthal and they just interbred with the homosapiens and became us. stop all the conflicting information. This article is just a load of pro homosapien elitist propoganda. I am and always will be proud of my neanderthal heritage.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: humans, primates, cro magnon, neanderthals, proto-human, evolution, hunter-gatherer, human evolution, australopithecus, primate evolution

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users